It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 4:55 pm

Post subject: Brake pads
PostPosted: Tue Aug 01, 2006 6:59 am 
I'm getting that scraping metal on metal noise from the passenger side front tire and while picturing my rotors being all scraped up, I'm wondering what guys (and gals) are doing for replacement brake pads? I don't have much experience with them and am not really sure what brands or types to look for and have figured I've dragged my feet on this long enough.

I've seen pads from $10 a pair to $60 a pair and am wondering what to settle on. Any help is, as always, much appreciated.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 01, 2006 7:03 am 
Forum User

You get what you pay for. You will probably need to have the rotors resurfaced while you are at it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 01, 2006 7:05 am 
kokopop wrote:
You get what you pay for.

I was hoping for a little more than that, as that is a term that I'm already familliar with. :roll: :wink:

I'm actually looking at pads that are about $40 and I'm assuming that's on a pair.....but $70 for a pair of brake pads just seems a little high to me. Just checking to see if I'm out of the ballpark here.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 01, 2006 7:20 am 
Forum User

Jay, I did my own Honda pads and I think I spent $30 on the pairs and they only lasted me a couple months. But I also drove that a LOT harder than my x.

I know that won't help ya much, but that was my personal experience with doing my own brakes.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 01, 2006 7:27 am 
I'm not real hard on the brakes driving a 5 speed. With that said, I also don't want to short change myself since I don't consider brakes something that should be taken lightly.

When I had my inspection done last month they told me that there was still a ton of meat left on the factory pads, but the noise is driving me nuts. Should just have the rotor looked at. Maybe it's warped just enough to start touching the feeler early?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 01, 2006 7:33 am 
Forum User

I made that statement because I have not bought brake pads in quite sometime. I never replaced them on my civic and on the neon I just used el cheapo's.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 01, 2006 8:17 am 
Supporting Member

I've always replaced mine with stock Nissan pads. They have always performed very well for me.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 01, 2006 8:30 am 
Forum User

j. plate wrote:
When I had my inspection done last month they told me that there was still a ton of meat left on the factory pads, but the noise is driving me nuts. Should just have the rotor looked at. Maybe it's warped just enough to start touching the feeler early?

Before you go buying them I would check to see if you got some nasty sand or rock stuck into the pad itself.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 01, 2006 9:20 am 
kokopop wrote:
I made that statement because I have not bought brake pads in quite sometime. I never replaced them on my civic and on the neon I just used el cheapo's.

No harm done. In my reply, I was just making it clear that I was stating the range in possible replacements, not that I was thinking of going with the $10 pads.

I've been on this earth long enough to know that 'expensive' doesn't always equal 'quality', and just wanted to make sure this was accurate when dealing with replacement brake pads.

cornick wrote:
Before you go buying them I would check to see if you got some nasty sand or rock stuck into the pad itself.

Good idea. I'll try that first.