It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:06 am

Post subject: 6th Spark Plug Replacement - 1st Gen
PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2012 2:01 pm 
Forum User

OK, so I'm not going to get into how tough it is since everyone knows it's a bitch given the location and angle unless you have tiny hands and the right tools (the latter a bit trial and error on my part). I did want to share what worked for me in the end with the hope it spares others my same fate.

I first tried the approach noted here http://www.nissanoffroad.net/how_to/plugs/plug.asp. I would say for those of you who haven’t done this bit of maintenance yet, don’t follow this approach. I couldn't get the 6 inch extension to work since it was too long to line up while trying to work it onto the spark plug, and even worse with my hand having minimal (OK zero) room to get it on the plug. Subsequently, my hand is a bit beat up/swollen/bruised from wedging it behind the engine a number of times in my desperation to get this sorted out.

Before I knew it the spark plug socket disconnected from the extension and found its way onto the spark plug all alone. Of course in my fiddling to get it back out to put all the pieces of the tools together to actually remove the plug, I accidentally worked the socket onto it all too well with no way to remove it (read - I'm in it to win it now; no turning back).

Tired from crawling all over the engine to get the right approach, I took a break and found myself over on XOC after not visiting in some time and tried some of the other approaches recommended on this thread http://www.xterraownersclub.com/forums.html. I found it to be quite helpful; specifically the double elbow joint and using a small mirror to see behind the engine. FINALLY!!! I had a use for my removable passenger side sun visor vanity mirror besides angling it down to stare down my date’s low-cut shirts while driving!!! :D :D

In terms of tools, I only saw the link to this one after the fact http://buy1.snapon.com/catalog/item.asp ... ir=catalog and using with a 4 or 6 inch extension; might have made a difference, might not have...dunno. Either way, the person who recommended it - a Nissan Master Tech - still said the #6 is a pain in the ass for anyone.

Here’s a pic of what I ultimately used that worked (spark plug socket, 2 inch extension, u-joint, 2 inch extension, u-joint, 4 inch extension, ratchet.):

Post subject: Re: 6th Spark Plug Replacement - 1st Gen
PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2012 2:17 pm 
Supporting Member

I haven't done mine yet but I have read it is a major pain in the ass..

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2012 2:45 pm 
Forum User

Yeah it sucked, partly because of trying to figure out how to make the first method that I read about work (it didn't, at least not for me).

I'd be curious about how well the SnapOn tool works in comparison. Either way, by the time I bought the two u-joints and the extra extensions it worked out to be about the same price as the SnapOn tool.

Knowing now what it takes I could probably do it in 30-60 minutes in all reality; NO idea how some people on XOC said they got it done in 5 minutes. I won't even admit to how long it took me for my first go around.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2012 8:34 pm 
Forum User

I dont know what u talking about i got Big hands and it went with no Problem for me just one little think try to do it when ur engine is cold the rest was not bad

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2012 9:16 pm 
Forum User

mixxali4 wrote:
I dont know what u talking about i got Big hands and it went with no Problem for me just one little think try to do it when ur engine is cold the rest was not bad

Yes, did it while cold.

Glad it was easy for you even with big hands like mine. Most people say it's a pain in the ass given the access. You're fortunate it went smoothly.

Just giving my experience since most seem to struggle with it and figured I'd share some tips/tricks that might help save some time/frustration for others, which is what this forum is all about. :wink:

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2012 11:45 am 
Club President

mixxali4 wrote:

Silly question, Mike - was yours easier to do because of your 3" body lift?

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2012 12:15 pm 
Forum User

From what was shared over on the XOC thread I read through it seems that having the BL gives you a bit more clearance to make it easier. Seriously, 1 whole measely inch of extra clearance would have made it a non-issue for anyone.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2012 1:20 pm 
Forum User

Do not know may b

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2012 2:11 pm 
Forum User

mtdewmike wrote:
mixxali4 wrote:

Silly question, Mike - was yours easier to do because of your 3" body lift?

I've swapped plugs on a stock X, and mine with a 3" body lift. The body lift helps with the physical constraints, and allowed me to get a mirror and a small LED flashlight back there to see better.