It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 4:43 am

Post subject: TIMING BELT question
PostPosted: Fri Jul 24, 2009 5:08 pm 
Noob

Hay, my 2003 X is almost at 100,000 and I was told I need to have the timing belt changed soon. I know this costs anywhere from 650 to 900 or more depending upon where you go. Anyways, a friend of mine who is a mechanic for over 20 years has offered to do this for me for less money and also with my help LOL I guess it will be a learning experience too!! . All I need to get is the parts. I was wondering if anyone could send me a link that would let me know exactly what I will need.? I also was told to have the water pump changed as well. Thanks for your help as always.

On another good note....My truck is finally in my name now. :D :D :D
Long story :roll: but it feels good to know its all mine now :lol:

Thanks so much!!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 24, 2009 5:23 pm 
Supporting Member

You'll need a timing belt, go with the Nissan one, don't cheap out here, a new water pump, water pump gasket and many will say replace the timing belt tensioner as well...it's only about $50 so you may as well.

You can get an entire kit from Xterra Parts.com. The $300 kit includes more than you have to replace, but hey, why not while it's apart.

Timing Belt Kit

I didn't replace my cam seals when I did mine and I don't know if many have who did it themselves. They don't tend to fail.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 24, 2009 5:31 pm 
Noob

Hay thanks so much! So in this kit is everything and more that I will need to have changed? I have the Chilton's book for my Xterra so I am going to have him use that as well. Any sites that may have better installation directions? He has done this before on an Xterra but has asked me to bring any info I may have or can get.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 24, 2009 5:37 pm 
Supporting Member

There's a old one, I believe by BlackX, on Xterra Firma. The Chilton's manual is not the best. Better to get the Nissan Electronic Service Manual. It's $200 from Nissan, but people sell $10 copies on Ebay all the time.

The kit has more than you will need...except tools. A good impact wrench is a must.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 25, 2009 7:14 am 
Noob

Hay thanks again! :bancow:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2009 7:22 am 
Forum User

I just changed mine last weekend. Here are a few links that I cross-referenced when I was doing the research.

I've done a few timing belts before, but never on a VG33, took about 6 hours to do everything in the Timing belt kit, plus a few extras while I was that deep.

The cam seals only take a few minutes a piece, its worth it if you already have the parts and everything is off.

If your a/c high line is in need of replacement, now is the time to do it as well, I picked one up at AutoZone for $50 and the recharge kit was $15. It is a lot easier to get into the connections when everything is out of the way.

http://www.clubfrontier.org/forums/f46/ ... -v6-41630/

http://nissan4wheelers.com/eve/forums/a ... 1010906731

http://www.clubfrontier.org/forums/f46/ ... s-c-44996/

Post subject: Re:
PostPosted: Sun Nov 06, 2011 3:07 pm 
Forum User

daggerdoggie wrote:
I didn't replace my cam seals when I did mine and I don't know if many have who did it themselves. They don't tend to fail.

Same here. I did my TB, tensioner, water pump, drive belts, radiator hoses, thermostat and new coolant. My friend's dad and mechanic suggested that I don't need too. For one, They weren't leaking. Two, he didn't have the proper tool to remove the ring/seals. They can be pried out with a screwdriver, but the head is aluminum. If you scratch or gouge the aluminum housing, you may then cause the seal to leak.

So I just left them alone. I did buy aftermarket parts (paid about $250), but I have a GATES timing belt. From what I've read, Gates belts are the standard OEM belts anyway.

Correct me if I'm wrong, I "should" be able to get another 105k on the new belt? Or is it something I should consider changing again at 50k?

Post subject: Re: TIMING BELT question
PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2011 5:06 am 
Noob

Do the coolant bypass hose at the time of the timing belt. It is located behind the top of the rear timing cover. Both VG33 timing belt jobs I have done had a leak there. It is easy to replace when the belt service is being done but would be very difficult and maybe impossible with the rear timing cover in place.

Link to part,

http://www.napaonline.com/Catalog/Catal ... ype%3aA%29

Post subject: Re: TIMING BELT question
PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2011 10:02 pm 
Forum User

Again, for the few dollars and the few minutes it would take to change them....do all you can while you're there IF you have the right tools. -New coolant too and don't forget your thermostat! It's probably in the kit, but if not - it would be wise to get one!

Post subject: Re:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2012 5:19 pm 
Forum User

daggerdoggie wrote:
Timing Belt Kit

I didn't do my cam seals either. My friend that helped me out said that they're not leaking, so leave them be. With the engine being aluminum, and the cam seals are a bitch to remove. If you gouge the aluminum, you could cause a permanent leak. Now you're up shits creek. But I did change out everything else.. timing belt, water pump and gasket, tensioner, drive belts, thermostat and new radiator hoses.