It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 2:59 pm

Post subject: Tool Organization
PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2007 3:51 pm 
Forum User

How do you keep your tools organized in your X. Mine are just thrown in 3 work bags from HD. I am going nuts trying to locate sockets. I bought some socket holders, but that has not worked out.

Any ideas?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2007 4:15 pm 
Forum User

Buy a plastic socket case. All my other tools are just thrown in toolbags (I'm still working on that). But the sockets are in a blow-molded plastic case and it works great. Mine came that way as a set, but you can get the empty cases at Sears.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2007 4:45 pm 
Forum User

i have been thinking of getting some of those "roll up " tool holders from sears. this way I don't have to hear the tools banging around in the toolbox while on the trails.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2007 4:54 pm 
Supporting Member

I have this neat three-drawer tool box bolted in the back of my truck, but that doesn't come close to carrying my tools. I also have a large, plastic tool box that I use.

Micah has the right idea. Get a "soft" case so they don't rattle around. I've been looking for just the right thing, but have not found exactly what I want yet. Also, I tend to throw my tools into the truck just before wheeling. I have to do a better job with that.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2007 8:06 am 
I have a black w/ yellow top thick plastic truck container box that i bought from Lowe's. It was I think $25 hold up to 400Lbs. I put tools in 2 small rubbermaid containers inside this and seperated it out inside the larger box. It works for me. It is rather large, height comes to back of rear seat and theres about 3 inches on both sides if centered in rear tailgate

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2007 12:28 pm 
Global Moderator

Most who have wheeled with me are amazed at how much crap I carry when I'm on the trail. I must admit it is over kill but it is all a result of having once been without something I needed and refused to be without again. I carry a combination of tool boxes and Rubbermaid containers (for fluids). I top off all the boxes and containers with an assortment of rags to keep the stuff from moving around, dampen the noise and clean up with. I'm sure there is a better way.
Dave (alliedacid) has what I refer to as his ?bag of tricks? a reference to the Felix the Cat cartoon that was before his (and most likely your) time and therefore over his head. The line in the cartoon went ?whenever he gets in a fix he reaches into his bag of tricks?. Dave carries this one small bag of tools on the trail and out of this bag he seems to pull the exact tool he needs every time. It is infuriating. I've witnessed him re-index torsion bars out of this bag (plus a set of jack stands). I've asked him to please write a list of the bag contents for me but that has not happen yet. When it does I will post it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2007 5:02 pm 
Supporting Member

I have a primary toolbox, plus a socket set in its own case. I need to get a bigger toolbox so that I can better organize everything, but I tend to lean more toward having too many tools with me and not need them, rather than carrying a subset and needing one that I don't have.

Post subject: Re: Tool Organization
PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2008 8:42 am 
Supporting Vendor

kokopop wrote:
How do you keep your tools organized in your X. Mine are just thrown in 3 work bags from HD. I am going nuts trying to locate sockets. I bought some socket holders, but that has not worked out.

Any ideas?

"the green bag"

Old Green bag from the Big Green. I snagged at Anniston Army depot from my HMMWV.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2008 9:06 am 
Supporting Member

Ammo cans from the military surplus store are awesome.. :thumup:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2008 12:18 pm 
Forum User

I've got a pelican case that I keep my tools in, I also have a trunk that I bought from Lowe's where I keep my spare axle, socket sets, blanket, tarp, rope and other trail gear.

2010 Pathfinder - 2004 Titan

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2008 1:18 pm 
Forum User

i use the clip in socket and wrench organizers from sears in a heavy dewalt bag. then all the small stuff goes in a makita box i bought that fits perfectly between the back of my seat and the back row.

2001 SC CC Frontier
(half an xterra)

lift, tires, armor

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2008 3:37 pm 
Forum User

I have a basic tool box with some basic tools and I can also store my tow straps and other off road accessories in it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2008 4:43 pm 
I'm saving up for a large box that I can bolt in, but this is
what I have right now....I have other things that I don't
carry, like my jack stands, wheel chocks, creeper, etcetc.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2008 5:01 pm 
Supporting Member

Bklyn.X wrote:
Most who have wheeled with me are amazed at how much crap I carry when I'm on the trail. I must admit it is over kill but it is all a result of having once been without something I needed and refused to be without again. I carry a combination of tool boxes and Rubbermaid containers (for fluids). I top off all the boxes and containers with an assortment of rags to keep the stuff from moving around, dampen the noise and clean up with. I'm sure there is a better way.
Dave (alliedacid) has what I refer to as his ?bag of tricks? a reference to the Felix the Cat cartoon that was before his (and most likely your) time and therefore over his head. The line in the cartoon went ?whenever he gets in a fix he reaches into his bag of tricks?. Dave carries this one small bag of tools on the trail and out of this bag he seems to pull the exact tool he needs every time. It is infuriating. I've witnessed him re-index torsion bars out of this bag (plus a set of jack stands). I've asked him to please write a list of the bag contents for me but that has not happen yet. When it does I will post it.

I know how that is, I bring tons of crap and what I need is at home, Dave brings a small bag and always has the right tool.

Oh, I'll bet you are all surprised that I have a yellow tool box.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2008 5:14 pm 
Supporting Member

:D:D I figured that one Scott..