It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 1:10 am

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2009 12:22 pm 
Forum User

The results were mixed from the meeting, but I think that we will ultimately come to an understanding between the land owners, snowmobilers, and offroaders.

Background:
The land owners are (rightfully) upset about their land getting trashed and people illeagally accessing their private property from OGH road. From what they say, they've got a lot of people going in there at night; drinking and causing trouble for them. This has obviously reflected a bad light on us, the responsible wheeler, and makes it very difficult to convince others that we really do care about the land. The landowners understand that it's most likely local teens doing most of the damage but weren't really convinced that we were there to work out the problems. It may be hearsay, but according to one land owner, there was a Jeep club that went through last spring with around 50 rigs and caused an enormous amount of damage. One other thing the owners brought up is that people are illegally accessing the road via logging roads across private property.

The snowmobilers are upset because the erosion of the road as well as the tire ruts make it difficult to drive a sled down the trail (which is the road in the winter). The claim was that they have invested a lot of time and money into the road to make it passible and safe for sleds and it is ruined every year by offroaders.

Meeting:
The offroad community was represented by around 25 people, mainly from the Dover/Somersworth area, but some (like me) from out-of-state. NEA4WD was also represented. The town police chief was there as well as the fire chief. There were approximately 8-10 people representing the snowmobilers.

The tentative agreement (pending legal clarification) right now is that the road will be open to vehicle traffic June through October; these dates will vary depending on how wet the road is as well as the presence of mud. Sinage will be posted for clarification. Another thing discussed would be a set time (specifically at night) that the road will also be closed.

NH class 6 roads are subject to the "gates and bars" law; which essentially states that a town may place and unlocked gate on any class 6 road in order to restrict traffic flow. Legally, if you go through the gate, you must shut it behind you (the term "gates and bars" historically refers to an owner?s right to enclose premises for his or her own benefit?usually to confine livestock; the owner required public travelers to open and close the gates or bars as a condition to travel. )

This will not deter everyone but it will keep a significant number of people off of the road when it's closed. Hopefully, it will also restore some of the road's usability and slow down the erosion that the road currently experiences.

Delagetes from ExploringNH and the snowmobile club will be meeting with the land owners this weekend to determine where gates and/or physical barriers can be erected. Once they come up with a plan, they will inform the board of selectmen and they will then start persuing the legal requirements of gating the roads.

Gating the roads doesn't mean you can't drive down them; just remember to close the gate behind you :thumbup:

One thing that I ask is that in an effort to preserve trail names and locations; from now on, this road be only referred to as OGH road if a name is required.

This is the first step and will be a PROBATIONARY period. If damage continues, it will inevidably end in the closing of the road

Sorry for the long novel :shock:

2010 Pathfinder - 2004 Titan

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2009 1:07 pm 
Forum User

No problems about the long post - info is always a good thing.

Oh, and I edited previous posts to remove the road name and replaced it with OGH to protect the innocent. ;)