It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 4:53 am

Post subject: Upper Tellico "Virtual" Rally - May 7th
PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2008 12:18 pm 
Forum User

Pirate4x4 had previously done a virtual rally for Johnson Valley, around the end of February. I'm not sure how many actually participated, or tried to at least, but it definitely ended up shedding light to those involved in the research that many in the OHV community are concerned with loosing a piece of land with a rich history of OHV use. I called my wife, to post for me since I was on my way to Syr once the window opened, to show my support.

Now there is one supporting land a bit "closer to home", so hopefully everyone here will participate in this upcoming "virtual" rally for Upper Tellico, whether or not you have ever been there or plan to go...

http://pirate4x4.com/forum/showthread.php?t=676594

Quote:
VIRTUAL ONLINE RALLY FOR UPPER TELLICO OHV AREA
Pirate4x4.com builds on a successful rally format to protest more route closures

After an extremely successful virtual rally for Johnson Valley and the world renowned Hammers rock crawling trails in California, Pirate4x4.com members are shifting their focus to the east coast and are once again gathering for a massive virtual rally to save the Upper Tellico OHV Park in North Carolina. On Wednesday May7th, 2008, Pirate4x4.com, a leading website for the OHV community, will hold this rally from 4 to 9 pm eastern standard time.

In 2007, the Southern Environmental Law Center, in coalition with Trout Unlimited and P.E.E.R. (Public Employees for Environmental Responsibility) filed a notice of intent to sue the Untied Stated Forest Service, claiming it was in violation of the federal water pollution act. This coalition stated that the Upper Tellico OHV area was dumping sediment into nearby streams and destroying the habitat of local brook trout. In turn, the USFS closed a major portion of the Tellico trail system.

There are many arguments against closing this popular OHV area, and many organizations involved in keeping it open. Carla Boucher, the attorney for the United Four Wheel Drive Association states, ?United Four Wheel Drive Association (UFWDA), along with its partners Blue Ribbon Coalition and Southern Four Wheel Drive Association, are committed to taking all steps necessary to save our access at Tellico, including legislative, administrative, and legal action!? This rally will bolster the efforts made by these organizations in this battle by showing a large contingent of OHV users who back and support these organizations in their efforts.

Virtual rally participants will be asked to post their experiences, photos and history recreating with their families in the Tellico area along with their feelings and beliefs as to why the trail system should not be closed. Their comments will be posted and tracked in a bulletin board format, with a goal of creating a lasting record of how important this area is to a vast number of people in the OHV community. Tellico is one of the very few public areas on the east coast for OHV recreation. Interested parties are encouraged to participate in the rally and read the thread.

On March 12th 2008, Pirate4x4.com hosted a similar virtual rally for the world renowned OHV trail system in Johnson Valley, CA. That rally had nearly 1,500 posts from OHV enthusiasts all across the world in a four hour time span. Saved in time in order to create a lasting homage to the rally, to date the Hammers rally has been viewed by over 48,000 people.

# # #
If you would like more information on this topic, or to schedule an interview with Kurt Schneider, Please call 925-596-0432 or e-mail Kurt at kurtuleas@pirate4x4.com

# Chris
# Looks like he drove down the tacky aisle with the crap magnet turned on...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2008 1:45 pm 
Forum User

wow...thats a tough one for me. I'm a member of Trout Unlimited and United Four Wheel Drive Assoc (via NEA4WD).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2008 7:17 am 
Forum User

It's happening today, make sure you post your support...

# Chris

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2008 3:53 pm 
Forum User

It's going on now...

Post #217

# Chris

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2008 4:09 pm 
Forum User

Post #310.
LINXC offers their support. :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2008 3:19 pm 
Forum User

Cool, but was that really it from here? Just one person?

# Chris

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2008 5:44 pm 
Forum User

missed it, I really haven't been on in the past week, and this was the first I heard about it.