It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 10:07 am

Post subject: Lake George/Prospect Mtn (ish)
PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2007 9:06 pm 
Just north of the Lake George village on 9 (i believe) there's a short road on the left that takes you to a large culvert that goes under the northway. If you drive through it and continue on there is a trail that continues steeply beside a creek. I believe it takes a you up the backside of Prospect Mtn.

Anyone ever been there? Is access ok? No? Thoughts?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2007 9:35 pm 
Supporting Member

If I am correct in knowing the spot you are talking about, I have been there, but I highly doubt that it is a legal trail for 4x4's.

I have hiked up Prospect Mtn., but know of no offroad trails.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2007 9:55 pm 
It's definitely a vehicle trail for something. There are some poles and lines that go up it. I can't see how NIMO trucks could make it up it though.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2007 7:25 am 
Forum User

I know the area you are talking about and I have only seen hikers there. Never any trucks. I cannot remember if there is a parking lot there. If there is then I would assume it is for hikers only.

There are a few places in the Northern Adirondacks that have dirt roads for portions of the trails. Typically there is one land owner that has rights to use the road and there is a gate to prevent people from passing.

Of course that does stop the yahoo's on their ATV's from trying it out.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2007 9:55 am 
I checked this area out on the map, and on both google street map, and USGS maps there is a town road shown going all the way up around the backside of the mtn. I checked the tax maps there too, and the entire property is the Prospect Mtn property owned by NYS. (I work for a civil engineer, so I have these maps handy :))

I think theres a radio tower up there, maybe its access for that? Who do we call to find out if its legal?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2007 10:26 am 
more info

I searched on the adirondackjeeps website and they run the road I am looking at on the map. Apparantly one end is not allowed and has a gate.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2007 3:06 pm 
Forum User

adirondackjeeps has permission from places like that in writting. i wouldn't endorse wheeling it unless you had the same.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2007 8:28 am 
Noob

Well, without going into a specific location or the road name :roll: , the road in question is a seasonal use town road that is open for motor vehicles. We don't run it until after May 1st due to mud (bad trail etiquette).
However, THE ROAD ENDS at the snow mobile trails near the top and you must stop there. DEC does patrol it. From there it's only about 3/4 of a mile to private property, so running it all the way through is illegal anyway, not to mention the gate at the end.
To the parking lot is about a half mile walk.

I live just down the way, so if you guys plan a trip up there, let me know. I'll run it with you. (I wouldn't put more than 8 to 10 rigs on there at a time, though. The trail/road won't handle that kind of traffic).

And yes, we do have it all in writing. :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2007 9:15 am 
Supporting Member

Thanks for the help!