It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:32 am

Post subject: HD Coilovers
PostPosted: Mon Jul 08, 2019 4:33 pm 
Supporting Member

So I found a set of OME HD coilovers, used, with 40k miles for $100. I consider this a great deal. I bought them in preparation of the winch install (not for a while yet.) But I'm starting to think, with the HF bumper (tube) and the steel skid, am I better off installing the HD setup now?

My current front suspension is OME medium duty so the only thing changing is the spring rate. My current coilovers have about 20k miles on them. So, stick with medium until the winch goes on or slap on the HDs?

Also, how should I expect my ride to change with the HDs? I hope it doesn't skitter too much. How will the HDs perform off road compared to the MDs?

Post subject: Re: HD Coilovers
PostPosted: Tue Jul 09, 2019 4:16 am 
Club Secretary

I had OME HD coilovers on the Frontier. Stock bumper, no skids and with the sway bar on. I also had SPC UCA’s and a 2” spacer. That setup with 33” Duratracs netted me 4+ inches of lift up front with no suspension contact. And The guys at Firestone were able to keep the alignment within factory settings. It was a stiff ride unloaded, but no skittering. Once the camper and front hitch basket were on, it rode like a dream.

With the weight of all the steel up front, it would probably ride like your MD OME’s did, before the bumper. You’ll gain some lift up front. Less nose dive while breaking. Not as likely to bottom out your travel off road. Better control of heavier wheels and tires. You would probably want to get another alignment.

Some would take the front sway bar off with the additional coilover stiffness. This would help with articulation off road. It may also give some additional body roll when on road. Some have said removing the sway bars will also make high speed maneuvers more unpredictable. (Think a rapid lane change on the hiway, avoiding debris or a stopped vehicle.)

The Frontier unloaded

With the camper and basket on.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My X. http://www.nexterra.org/forums/viewtopi ... =71&t=9534

Post subject: Re: HD Coilovers
PostPosted: Tue Jul 09, 2019 7:36 am 
Supporting Member

Thanks John! Looks like I'm going to need some adjustable shackles if the nose is going up.

Sent from my LM-G710VM using Tapatalk