It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:29 pm

Post subject: LED Headlights
PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2019 10:40 am 
Supporting Member

What do I need to know about converting my headlights, including parking lights and blinkers, to LED?

John, what setup did you go with? I like your switchback blinker.

Post subject: Re: LED Headlights
PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2019 1:16 pm 
Club Secretary

I haven’t really had good luck with LED headlights. I really liked the output and the beam pattern/cuttoff but the life vs. cost hasn’t been acceptable. $100 for roughly a year the first time, and about 18 months the second time. The lights I tried are no longer available. I’ve since swapped back to halogen.

There is a thread on Clubfrontier about LED headlights I haven’t tried. Seems like they have had luck with a budget Amazon brand in the Frontier’s light housings. This really doesn’t mean anything for the X’s housings.
The thread here: https://www.clubfrontier.org/forums/f8/ ... bs-351579/

I have had good luck with the other LED bulbs. I have converted all the other lights in the X and Frontier to LED. I’ve had good luck on Amazon with the SiriusLED brand from Amazon. These are the switchback blinkers I have. https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B01ES4AU ... asin_image

My X. http://www.nexterra.org/forums/viewtopi ... =71&t=9534

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2019 10:35 pm 
Forum User

I went to tractor supply and got the traveler square ones cheap. I had to buy the kit along with them, but you think of the cost of amazon, and if the product you buy fails, you then have to ship it back and wait longer for a new set. Not to mention, all replacement, and upgrade stuff is right at tractor. Or you can copy the other guys and get rigid or some other pricey ones, that die like the rest. Mine go over 1000 ft, and I don't really even need my regular lights. These things are crazy bright. I only got them for fog or trails. Not to blind people. So they will last longer, and save me tons of money in the long run.

Sent from my VS990 using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2019 12:56 pm 
Supporting Member

Carpy wrote:
I went to tractor supply and got the traveler square ones cheap. I had to buy the kit along with them, but you think of the cost of amazon, and if the product you buy fails, you then have to ship it back and wait longer for a new set. Not to mention, all replacement, and upgrade stuff is right at tractor. Or you can copy the other guys and get rigid or some other pricey ones, that die like the rest. Mine go over 1000 ft, and I don't really even need my regular lights. These things are crazy bright. I only got them for fog or trails. Not to blind people. So they will last longer, and save me tons of money in the long run.

Sent from my VS990 using Tapatalk

It sounds like you're talking about light pods? I'm asking about converting our stock headlights (halogen) to LED. But good to know about the TSC cheapo lights. I need a pair for the rear bumper.