It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:03 am

Post subject: To Space or Not To Space?
PostPosted: Wed Dec 26, 2018 1:38 pm 
Supporting Member

I'm finally bringing home my Hefty tube bumper today. Currently there are no plans to install a winch but the damn thing is still really heavy. I have 0 rake on the X now thanks to the OME lift kit with AAL but I'm expecting a nose dive after the install. I have a pair of 1/2" top of strut PRG spacers left over from before my lift. If I install these, will it help with the nose dive?

Long term plans are a front suspension upgrade to HD springs, probably on MK84s to support a winch. But for now, this is pretty much it for options.

Post subject: Re: To Space or Not To Space?
PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2019 6:32 am 
Forum User

Top spacers won't help nose dive. Static droop yes but not nose dive. You need higher k-rate springs to change dynamic movement. A spring has a constant spring rate over its operating range so dynamically shifting load forward during braking will still cause the same spring compression whether the spring's preload (inside spacer) or the starting position (top spacer) have been increased. There is reason behind swapping out to aftermarket medium or heavier K-rate springs.

Scott

Post subject: Re: To Space or Not To Space?
PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2019 9:39 am 
Supporting Member

Scott Farris wrote:
Top spacers won't help nose dive. Static droop yes but not nose dive. You need higher k-rate springs to change dynamic movement. A spring has a constant spring rate over its operating range so dynamically shifting load forward during braking will still cause the same spring compression whether the spring's preload (inside spacer) or the starting position (top spacer) have been increased. There is reason behind swapping out to aftermarket medium or heavier K-rate springs.

Scott

Thank you for the great explanation. Sounds like I'm better off waiting for the winch and then adding 608's to the existing struts.

Post subject: To Space or Not To Space?
PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2019 11:17 am 
Club Vice President

That was a great explanation from Scott.

If you’re looking to adjust the rake & only to make the truck look level front to back while standing still, spaces might help?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk