It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:24 am

Post subject: New x swap??
PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2018 9:48 am 
Supporting Member

Toying with the idea of buying a newer x and swapping over some things and building it a little differently..
Let's say I was to do this...where there any option changes from say a 2012 to 2015?
I see heated seats, rims and radio looks about it..everything else seems about the same
Mines an 09 with only about 90k miles...I've seen a nice 2014 with like 30k miles that got me thinking...thinking 6 speed vs auto too..
But having a payment again isn't high on my list either...
Just all thoughts at this point.....but always fun to think about..

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Post subject: Re: New x swap??
PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2018 12:41 pm 
Club Vice President

How about a swap to a JKU?! :-)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2018 2:42 pm 
Supporting Member

DirtySocks wrote:
How about a swap to a JKU?! :-)

Yeah..don't see that happening...its an x,or pickup of some type...
Those new jeep pickups are sweet though...out of my price range..

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2018 12:42 am 
Club Vice President

Yea, new prices are insane.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2018 5:50 pm 
Supporting Member

Ir's crossed my mind as well. I'm in an '09 with 175k on it. Thinking about trading up to a newer model in a couple of years before it dies.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2018 12:01 am 
Forum User

90k isn’t that much for miles any more. What are you looking to do differently?

Also, coming from someone who’s done a swap like you’re talking about. It’s stressful, and will cost you much more than you think. I budgeted $3500 for the new truck, as I wanted all brand new suspension. It ended up being closer to $6k after fixing most of issues, and stuff I didn’t anticipate, and at one point I just said f@ck it.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2018 6:05 pm 
Supporting Member

Ripper wrote:
90k isn’t that much for miles any more. What are you looking to do differently?

Also, coming from someone who’s done a swap like you’re talking about. It’s stressful, and will cost you much more than you think. I budgeted $3500 for the new truck, as I wanted all brand new suspension. It ended up being closer to $6k after fixing most of issues, and stuff I didn’t anticipate, and at one point I just said f@ck it.
Yeah I hear ya... i had you in mind when i posted this. nothing majority different,just get me a newer vehicle that could last longer. I built this one trial and error and taught myself how to fix things, just apply some of that forethought on something newer.. I'd toy with the idea of gears and arb lockers and obviously all new suspension, ts or not...no doubt it would cost alot..
Did you go s model and mod from there?

Sent from my SM-T580 using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2018 8:16 am 
Forum User

No I bought a Pro4X. Re geared, front locker, and really planned out my wiring so everything was super neat and tidy.

Nothing wrong with pulling it all out of your X, redoing it and upgrading. New suspension isn’t a bad thing after a few years of beating on it. You could always upgrade/rebuild the X and then buy a econobox for a daily driver.

After having a season of hammering this piss out of the new one. A front locker (in conjunction with a rear) will get you so much further than a TS will.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2018 8:56 pm 
Supporting Member

Ok good info..But a locked ts? All just thoughts...i all ready have a Toyota matrix as my dd so the x sits most of the week...ill end up just replacing parts on mine probably..ive got to tackle rust next year for sure and may redo suspension..time and funds will dictate that.
Ripper wrote:
No I bought a Pro4X. Re geared, front locker, and really planned out my wiring so everything was super neat and tidy.

Nothing wrong with pulling it all out of your X, redoing it and upgrading. New suspension isn’t a bad thing after a few years of beating on it. You could always upgrade/rebuild the X and then buy a econobox for a daily driver.

After having a season of hammering this piss out of the new one. A front locker (in conjunction with a rear) will get you so much further than a TS will.

Sent from my SM-T580 using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2018 10:39 pm 
Forum User

I’m pretty much in the mindset that a TS is over rated here in the east unsless you really are running trails that you NEED 35s and lockers. Like legit blacks/reds. People have forgotten what the real point of a TS was. It was to put in a stronger front diff (M205). People would use the Titan uppers, lowers and Coilovers because it was almost cost prohibitive to use the V8 Pathy CVs are about $800 each, and hard to find at that. So it was easier to just go to all the Titan parts which have you a little bit more travel. Out west is where I see the real need/benefit of a TS. The trails are just so much different than here.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2018 8:42 pm 
Events Committee Member

Ripper wrote:
I’m pretty much in the mindset that a TS is over rated here in the east unsless you really are running trails that you NEED 35s and lockers. Like legit blacks/reds. People have forgotten what the real point of a TS was. It was to put in a stronger front diff (M205). People would use the Titan uppers, lowers and Coilovers because it was almost cost prohibitive to use the V8 Pathy CVs are about $800 each, and hard to find at that. So it was easier to just go to all the Titan parts which have you a little bit more travel. Out west is where I see the real need/benefit of a TS. The trails are just so much different than here.

I hear aftermarket pathy half shafts are being made by TrakMotive.