It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:42 pm

Post subject: Fun fun.
PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2018 10:32 pm 
Forum User

Front shrockworks skid plate installed. That was ummmm fun. Had to lose the passenger front recovery fork because of a spinning bolt. ( gotta respect the die grinder). Saved two longer bolts till I can get a driver side recovery fork. Only thing that bothers me, is the continuing part of the bumper that rests on the plate, use to attach to the stock skid plate, I really don't want to drill holes in that skid plate to put in screws to hold it in place.

Sent from my VS990 using Tapatalk

Post subject: Re: Fun fun.
PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2018 5:22 am 
Club Secretary

Just wait till you take it off next time. Once you bash it on things a few times.

I needed to put a ratchet strap on the ears of mine, so I could draw it in the 3/4” or 1” I needed to be able to run the bolts through.

There are a few companies around that make aftermarket tow points. I saw Habitat Offroad’s this weekend. Theirs are very nice. I saw some on Nisstec recently also.

Ona side note. I’ve often wondered if the Titan tow points would work on the Xterra. They do have the same frame horns.

My X. http://www.nexterra.org/forums/viewtopi ... =71&t=9534

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2018 7:24 am 
Forum User

murphy wrote:
Just wait till you take it off next time. Once you bash it on things a few times.

I needed to put a ratchet strap on the ears of mine, so I could draw it in the 3/4” or 1” I needed to be able to run the bolts through.

There are a few companies around that make aftermarket tow points. I saw Habitat Offroad’s this weekend. Theirs are very nice. I saw some on Nisstec recently also.

Ona side note. I’ve often wondered if the Titan tow points would work on the Xterra. They do have the same frame horns.
I could make the passenger side one work, but with only one bolt, it could risk swiveling towards the radiator housing, if I was using it. I could either try to create a new tap or pound in a concrete anchor and use the anchors bolt with washers. I'll figure it out.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2018 1:46 pm 
Club Secretary

Did it strip out, or did the welded nut break free?

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2018 1:47 pm 
Forum User

murphy wrote:
Did it strip out, or did the welded nut break free?
Welded nut broke.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2018 3:41 pm 
Club Secretary

I looked online for a rivet nut large enough to replace the weld nut. Doesn’t look like there is anything out there.

I think you’re best bet is to have a nut welded into its place. I had a guy do that with a few of the 8mm bolts into the frame for the skids on the Frontier. He drilled a hole the correct size to press fit a nut into. Then tapped it in so it was flush. Then welded all around the nut. Cleaned it up with a grinder and hit it with some chassis paint. Far stronger results than the tack welded OEM nut. And the rivet nut for that matter.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2018 3:57 pm 
Forum User

murphy wrote:
I looked online for a rivet nut large enough to replace the weld nut. Doesn’t look like there is anything out there.

I think you’re best bet is to have a nut welded into its place. I had a guy do that with a few of the 8mm bolts into the frame for the skids on the Frontier. He drilled a hole the correct size to press fit a nut into. Then tapped it in so it was flush. Then welded all around the nut. Cleaned it up with a grinder and hit it with some chassis paint. Far stronger results than the tack welded OEM nut. And the rivet nut for that matter.
Been making a small knock noise, taking sharp left turns over bumps ever since I put that in. I'm pretty sure it's the sway bar, but not worrying about it. I'm just gonna get other things done then reiderate problems as they happen down the road. I dont want to go into this with to much impulse. I'm gonna see if I can get to the top of the frame above that bolt hole and drill down. Then stick a measured piece of threaded rod down and washer and nut both ends.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2018 6:04 am 
Supporting Member

Drill up from the bottom. Through bolt with a 1/2x6 grade 8 bolt. Done. All four of my bolts are that way. Just watch the driver side, there's a hose fairly close

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2018 7:17 am 
Supporting Member

Do this....best way to do it..both mine broke and I went this route.
JeffPro4x wrote:
Drill up from the bottom. Through bolt with a 1/2x6 grade 8 bolt. Done. All four of my bolts are that way. Just watch the driver side, there's a hose fairly close

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2018 11:59 am 
Club Secretary

It’s good to have a forum to bounce this stuff off of. Lots of people with great ideas. A lot of good info here.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2018 12:35 pm 
Forum User

murphy wrote:
It’s good to have a forum to bounce this stuff off of. Lots of people with great ideas. A lot of good info here.
If you all help build it, I will follow you anywhere! Lol, yeah it's good having friends that have been through it before.