It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:55 am

Post subject: Truck has lost its rake
PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2018 11:15 am 
Club President

Here's the background.

Back in December, my father-in-law helped me install the Shrock rear bumper and tire carrier. I've got my 35" spare mounted to it.

Since then, as the weather has been warming up, the truck's suspension has been coming back to life after the cold New England winter. I've always noticed the Radflo's act differently in colder weather. The suspension always feels better in the warmer months.

Over the past month and a half or so, I've been feeling a small shimmy, wobble in the front end after going over small bumps. From an outside view, I'm picturing the front tires coming off the ground slightly, to give you a visual. So, a couple weeks ago I ordered new front hubs, and my friend Jesse helped me install them. When we took off the old ones, he didn't think they were that bad; he didn't see much play in the tires. We did hear something when we spun the tires, which did go away after replacing them. He figured that we couldn't fully recreate the issue without the weight of the truck on the hubs. I definitely felt a difference after putting the news hubs on; the ride felt better.

Since then, though, I think I still feel a slight shimmy in the front. I've ruled out the UCA's, as Jesse and I rebuilt them last year, and the LCA's were replaced last year.

This morning, I stopped up at the haunted house to do some work, and was able to take some measurements while the truck was on flat ground. This is where I discovered that the truck's rake no longer exists. And perhaps the weight of the rear bumper and tire are causing this feeling up front.

I have always measured from approx. the center of the hub to the bottom of the fender at all 4 corners. When the truck was stock, the measurements were:

Front: 19.5"
Rear: 20"
Rake: .5"

After the last revamp of the suspension left back in 2015, this is what I had for measurements:

Front: 22"
Rear: 23"
Rake: 1"

After the body lift in 2015, here were the new measurements:

Front: 24"
Rear: 25"
Rake: 1"

This morning, I measured:

Front: 25"
Rear Passenger: 25"
Rear Driver: 24"
Rake: 0"

Some things to point out.

- The leaf packs are Alcan's. They were ordered and designed back in 2014 to hold an extra 300 lb to accommodate an aftermarket bumper and tire carrier.

- The 1" of sag on the rear driver side I'm chalking up to the spare tire, as Shrock's tire carrier favors the driver's side.

- I have adjustable PRG shackles, with 1 or 2 more holes that would allow me to lift the back end.

Does it make sense to do the following?

- Rotate the leaf packs left <--> right.
- Increase the PRG shackles at least 1 more hole, which is an increase of .5". This should bring the front nose down a bit.

Note: all measurements for the heights at the 4 corners are approx., but pretty close.

Post subject: Re: Truck has lost its rake
PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2018 11:30 pm 
Forum User

The weather thing is normal. The ambient temp has an effect on the oil and that in turn makes a difference in how the oil moves through the valves.

But my advise is to move the spring on the shackles. I’m having to do that after 30 dayswith new Alcans, but’s that’s cause I have swingout bumper and with a 33” MTR and steel wheel. Oh and the drop down table.

Post subject: Re: Truck has lost its rake
PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2018 10:59 pm 
Forum User

Full gas tank and a punk in the go-go seat also weigh down (and wear) the left side more than the right.

›»»»›‹«««‹