It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 3:05 am

Post subject: armor....
PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2015 6:53 pm 
Noob

I have found different forums talking of armor from like four different companies. Any suggestions on the best company and how hard is it to install them?

Thanks,
Becky

Post subject: Re: armor....
PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2015 6:56 pm 
Forum User

Second gen? Hefty Fabworks has the best coverage in my opinion and not too bad for install either.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2015 7:04 pm 
Noob

sorry, yeah 2nd gen and that is what I almost hit the "buy" button on....but then I got nervous and wanted feedback from my nexterra peoples directly......

PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2015 7:05 pm 
Forum User

Cool, you won't regret getting them.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2015 7:05 pm 
Noob

did you find any mods needed to be done or clunking sounds? I read somewhere it was common for this brand....

PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2015 7:07 pm 
Forum User

Only if you have whites knuckle sliders, other than that not an issue. Some trucks have an issue with the drive shaft hitting the one bracket but it only takes a small amount of grinding to fix it.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2015 7:10 pm 
Noob

OK great - Thanks!

Really appreciate the feedback!

PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2015 7:11 pm 
Forum User

:thumbup:

PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2015 8:36 pm 
Club Treasurer

Insain Fab as well. Cory makes some sick bumpers front and rear and sliders

PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2015 8:07 am 
Supporting Member

leo on this forum is running Hefty Fab aluminum skids. Crazy light compared to my 1st gen skidrow skids. I can lift the largest one with two fingers. Installation was breezy. He is also running the White knuckle sliders, there was an overlap issue on one side I believe. We will be rectifying this soon.

www.skidplates.com

www.shrockworks.com

www.heftyfabworks.com

I can only vouch for skidrow and shrockworks cause its what we run on our trucks and we beat the sh!t out of em. If you buyin steel let me suggest also buyin a nice heavy sledge hammer to straighten em out down the road

PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2015 12:48 pm 
Forum User

ARMOR - My experience yours may vary.

Front Bumper - I have Shrock front bumper and sliders. I fell in love with the look of the Shrock front bumper and still love how it looks and how solid it is. On the negative it’s not cheap, it took 6 months to arrive when promised in 3. It broke partially free of its pallet and the finish was damaged in a couple of spots on delivery. Not wanting to wait 6 more months I kept my mouth shut and installed it. Installation went well and the winch mounted up nicely. There are light ports as well as a port either side for a winch plug extension. It did not come with predrilled holes for the off-road light’s wires I had to drill through the powder coating to add them. I have hit a deer at fairly low speed with no damage at all. Now going on 4 years the powder coating is flaking off around the winch access openings. Would I buy it again? Maybe but I would be looking at the Maxterra front hard.

Sliders - The Shrock sliders were easy to mount and are tight to the body. Structurally I like them for grinding over rocks and as jacking points. But they are so tight to the body they don’t work great for steps and don’t provide as much protection from trees on the trail and car doors in parking lots. Without the flair at the back that some other slider have you can slide off them into your fender. I have a damaged rear door/ fender flair that I don’t think I would have with the flared sliders or even a wider step/slider design. Live and learn. These arrived in 3 months, roughly twice what was promised.

To add insult to injury, we (posted on TNX) found out a couple of years ago that if you pay Shrock additional expediting fee they will get you order out quicker “using overtime”. This is (or at least wasn’t) published or noted anywhere you had to know to ask. So while the rest of us wait twice the promised time guys in the know are slipping in for some unknown additional charge, getting theirs while you wait. Anyone know if this has changed?

Rear Bumper – I have a Maxterra rear bumper and it’s great. Less expensive than most, incredibly quicker than Shrock and on time, with everything as promised. I had more features than other bumpers I looked into. LED light bar for the license plate, easy access trailer plug location, optional back up lights. Dave worked with me every step of the way and shared tips not directly related to his bumper and when the 110# blk dog damaged the LED light bar getting up into the lifted rig Dave offered me another for free. We compromised with me paying him enough to cover shipping, he sealed up a new assembly and shipped it out – GREAT SERVICE! 2.5 years after installation the powder coat finish is holding up well.

Skid Plates: My radiator skid is from Shrock as part of the bumper package. No complaints other than the 6 months shipping with the bumper. The rest of the plates are by Hefty. They went on correctly but doing it by myself wasn’t easy. Slightly better coverage than the Shrock but requires drilling a couple of holes for that coverage. I bought them in the raw believing the recommendations of many of the suppliers that we’re better off with easily reapplied rustolium paint. These plates are going to get smacked, gouged and scraped constantly if you wheel (and why would you add hundreds of pounds of steel if you weren’t wheeling).

Diff Cover – Ballistic Fab cover with a Lube Locker gasket. Solid and fit my rig with no issues. I do wish someone had warned me that with a locker (Pro-4X) the diff. does not take the published quantity of gear lube. Mine holds just under a liter. Using the gasket, installation was quick and easy.

Shock Skids – I purchased Bolder Iron works shock skids as part of a group buy. I’m still waiting for it to warm up enough to install them. They appear to be very heavy duty. Note: no fasteners were provided with the S Skids, the stock shock bolt is long enough to reuse on my 2011 model. They will require a shorter bolt and drilling of the shock mounts.

Scott

PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2015 1:07 pm 
Club Vice President

I had the Shrockworks front bumper, full skids & sliders on my 1st gen... Took a beating & held up just fine.
The Shrock front bumper is still one of the best looking... I now have their stubby front bumper on the Jeep too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Post subject: armor....
PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2015 1:11 pm 
Club Vice President

Aluminum skids would be awesome - easy to install, doesn't add much weight, better fuel economy - but would like to see how they hold up to a beating before becoming a complete fan. Oh...and they are expensive.
Leo got a fantastic deal by winning that at the B2SR raffle.
And cheers to Hefty for donating it to the club!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Sat May 09, 2015 10:49 pm 
Supporting Member

Scott Farris wrote:
I would be looking at the Maxterra front hard.

Is Maxterra producing fronts for sale?

PostPosted: Sun May 10, 2015 9:01 am 
Forum User

Maybe not. I checked the guy's X who I thought had one, but he doesn't. I'd recommend dropping Dave an e-mail and see. maximumdesign@comcast.net In fact I just did drop Dave a line.

Scott