It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:08 pm

Post subject: clutch interlock disconnect?
PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2017 7:22 pm 
Noob

Has anyone done a clutch interlock disconnect? There used to be an aftermarket kit by Coolerman that would allow you to put in an on/off switch for your clutch interlock. That doesn't seem to be available anymore. I was wondering if I could just disconnect it permanently. It doesn't look hard, it's just a button that's depressed when the clutch is down all the way. It looks like you could just unscrew it from the bracket and put a clamp on, so the X thinks the clutch is always depressed. I can't think of how that would hurt the X and it would sure help me when I stall on steep hills to be able to start without having to depress the clutch.

Post subject: Re: clutch interlock disconnect?
PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2017 4:54 pm 
Forum User

MikeO wrote:
Has anyone done a clutch interlock disconnect? There used to be an aftermarket kit by Coolerman that would allow you to put in an on/off switch for your clutch interlock. That doesn't seem to be available anymore. I was wondering if I could just disconnect it permanently. It doesn't look hard, it's just a button that's depressed when the clutch is down all the way. It looks like you could just unscrew it from the bracket and put a clamp on, so the X thinks the clutch is always depressed. I can't think of how that would hurt the X and it would sure help me when I stall on steep hills to be able to start without having to depress the clutch.

I did a semi-permanent interlock by-pass on my first gen. Real simple. I unfastened the switch from its mounting, so that is was free (and positioned free of the pedal). I then put a small screw-on cap (for me, a plastic tire valve cap was of sufficient size) over the plunger on the switch. (if it does not sufficiently depress the plunger, just stuff a little something under the cap so it will depress the plunger enough). Now, you have completely by-passed the clutch interlock, and the engine will start anytime even if you don't depress the clutch. Just be careful that you have clutch depressed or a in neutral when you don't want to move on a start.

There is an added bonus to this method. I used it as an anti-theft device. Whenever I parked in a high theft area, I simple removed the cap and put it somewhere in the console or glove box. Even with the pedal depressed, the engine will not start because the plunger on switch is not depressed. No one trying to steal it would think to look at the clutch interlock switch.

An alternative is simply to disconnect the switch from the wiring harness at the plug, and use a short piece of wire to jump the connections so that it reads as if the switch is closed.

The above should work on the second gen also.

k_enn

Post subject: Re: clutch interlock disconnect?
PostPosted: Thu Nov 14, 2019 5:59 pm 
Noob

Thanks - worked like a charm.