It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 4:03 am

Post subject: Help identifying intake part?
PostPosted: Mon Jun 26, 2006 3:54 pm 
Please excuse the ignorance, and lack of a service manual ( I really gotta buy that thing)......

....but, what is this pipe connected to? (see pic) It seems to be a small self contained box that's bolted to the drivers side wheel well. (And, btw, that's not my X. I didn't have a pic of my engine bay so I pirated one off an eBay ad. :wink:

Recently I was having trouble with my X, as it was idling incredibly hard and stalled twice on my wife. It was idling around 4-500 rpm's and would dip into no man's land at the drop of a hat. Was also idling so hard it would shake the truck at a red light. At highway speeds, it felt like someone was hitting my brakes or they were locking up and I had no power when I hit the gas.

When I finally popped the hood, I noticed that the clamp that holds that pipe in place to the main air intake hose was loose and the pipe had become completely separated. After re-attaching that pipe and tightening the clamp, I've had no more issues.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 26, 2006 4:13 pm 
Supporting Member

That box on the inner fender is a resonator. There are three of them and they help the intake from making noises when stepping on the gas. The others are located under the ABS controller, just back of the air filter and the other is bolted next to the radiator. You can see that one in the picture, right in front of the air filter. They are superfluous, and keep noise down. Some say they give you an extra boost of air when you step hard on the gas, but I have removed all of mine with no ill effect.

Your problem sounds more to me like a dying fuel pump. My guess is, if I am right, in a few days, it will die completely. They don't always just quite. When mine went, it died a slow, cruel death, leaving me stranded in Utica.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 26, 2006 4:17 pm 
Supporting Member

Oops, I just reread your post and noticed about your clamp off the intake being loose. Did you get a CEL on? If that was loose, it would mess up your readings on the air intake temp sensor and MAF sensor making the computer get false readings and messing with your air/fuel mixture. You may have solved your problem.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 26, 2006 6:34 pm 
Yeah, my CEL is on. I unhooked my battery thinking that that would clear my codes.....but I've been told that doesn't work anymore.

Know a good way to get that light to turn off??

And it really did clear up the problem. I haven't had any more issues since I hooked it back up.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 26, 2006 6:50 pm 
Supporting Member

Disconnecting the battery will clear the CEL, if the problem is gone. You may have to leave it disconnected overnight.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 27, 2006 7:14 am 
That was the problem. Started the truck up this morning, and the CEL didn't stay on. Drove all the way to work (yeah, the whole 3 miles) and it didn't come back on.

Thanks, Scott. :wink: