It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 12:44 pm

Post subject: Re: automatic locker for 1st gens
PostPosted: Tue Nov 12, 2013 11:09 pm 
Forum User

MAD X wrote:
better to have a button and control when to lock the diff is what i think i do alot of driving in crappy conditions and woudnt want to loose control over something i installed.

still cheap deal to bad the wont make one for rear

If they did make one for the rear, you'd have to buy an open diff carrier to install it with. At that point you might as well buy an ARB IMO. I think the cost would be close by the time you bought an open diff and had the rear axle set up properly so that it didn't blow up in a month...

I'm going to have to do some more research I guess. This snow discussion is making me wonder. I've heard and read of Wranglers running them in the rear in northern New England. I'm wondering how much traction is needed to make them unlock to turn. I would think in something as short as a Wrangler if it didn't unlock when it was slippery on a turn, the back would come around pretty quick. I don't know...if it's that bad, how fast are you going to be going anyway?
I'm thinking it's going to want to stay locked if power is applied, but not when you're coasting. Unless you're trying to powerslide, you don't power through a turn anyway. You coast or maintain speed. Especially when it's slick.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 13, 2013 7:50 am 
Supporting Member

All good brotha, im sure it helped somebody somewhere...

PostPosted: Wed Nov 13, 2013 9:41 pm 
Supporting Member

Constitution wrote:
MAD X wrote:
better to have a button and control when to lock the diff is what i think i do alot of driving in crappy conditions and woudnt want to loose control over something i installed.

still cheap deal to bad the wont make one for rear

If they did make one for the rear, you'd have to buy an open diff carrier to install it with. At that point you might as well buy an ARB IMO. I think the cost would be close by the time you bought an open diff and had the rear axle set up properly so that it didn't blow up in a month...

I'm going to have to do some more research I guess. This snow discussion is making me wonder. I've heard and read of Wranglers running them in the rear in northern New England. I'm wondering how much traction is needed to make them unlock to turn. I would think in something as short as a Wrangler if it didn't unlock when it was slippery on a turn, the back would come around pretty quick. I don't know...if it's that bad, how fast are you going to be going anyway?
I'm thinking it's going to want to stay locked if power is applied, but not when you're coasting. Unless you're trying to powerslide, you don't power through a turn anyway. You coast or maintain speed. Especially when it's slick.

i was thinking that too the locker woudnt engage unless there is alot of force applied to the wheels so im thinking when it comes to snow it probably locks up when u stepping down the skinny pedal when stuck or try to power slide in an empty parkin lot with a nice layer of snow nd no light poles around :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Thu Nov 14, 2013 5:05 am 
Forum User

Hehe... :twisted:

It's always locked though. Unless you had traction and the differential was trying to do it's job in a turn. Then it's supposed to unlock. That's what I'm wondering...how much traction... I've been bugging some Jeep guys for answers on another board too. Mixed reviews so far. Some say it's sketchy, others say there's no problems and they'd do it again.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 14, 2013 9:10 am 
Supporting Member

Well I know a guy (not sayin no names) who loves his manual locker, but for some reason never likes to use it. The way he puts it is, if you cant drive your truck in 2WD then you prob shouldnt be drivin it offroad :guns:

4WD - No Locker

PostPosted: Thu Nov 14, 2013 10:13 am 
Forum User

BKxterra718 wrote:
Well I know a guy (not sayin no names) who loves his manual locker, but for some reason never likes to use it. The way he puts it is, if you cant drive your truck in 2WD then you prob shouldnt be drivin it offroad :guns:

4WD - No Locker

That day I did half of the trails in two wheel drive and my son was with me for the ride and some people in the group were struggling in 4 wheel drive :wave: don't matter locker no locker it depends onthe gasket between steering wheel and the seat :cheers: justin did old florida road with no lockers but on the other hand he is crazy he is the only one that jumped his X 6feet in the air 5 times n the row....

PostPosted: Thu Nov 14, 2013 10:14 am 
Supporting Member

True thaaat

PostPosted: Fri Nov 15, 2013 5:29 am 
Forum User

Awesome.

ARTICLE 6. All members are expected to show responsible behavior and tread lightly.

Tread lightly much?
Anybody can beat their rig over an obstacle, and tear stuff up in the process. I'm sure this has nothing to do with trails getting closed, right? Who needs lockers, or four wheel drive? I guess I do... But then, I'm not on a first name basis with the local junkyards because I'm swapping out broken parts every waking moment I have.
Thankfully, I am where I can go out and enjoy a bunch of trails all within an hour or less from home. Also glad I can drive my Xterra back and forth to work every day...after taking it wheeling. Knock on wood it hasn't let me down yet. There have been some hiccups, but I haven't had to walk. I take care of it, it takes care of me. I wheel by myself a lot, not with another rig. I usually have my family with me. There are some nice trails up here. I haven't driven all the way across all of them yet. So for now I'm looking for every advantage I can get, within reason.
There are some areas that have reclassified trails so you can't drive a vehicle on them any more, but most are the way they were 30+ years ago. Until somebody comes through and rips stuff up. Hmm...

When I was growing up we lived at the end of the maintained portion of a town road. None of the guys walking back to use the phone or asking to be pulled out probably thought they needed lockers either.
When I go out, you can hardly tell I was there afterward except for tracks, with a few exceptions when it couldn't be helped. I have run across an irritated landowner or two, but when you talk with them for a few minutes they're fine.
So you guys rock on with yourselves in two wheel drive. I'll keep wheeling, and reading about trails getting closed.
Have fun with that!

PostPosted: Fri Nov 15, 2013 7:52 am 
Forum User

Sorry to be a pain but the day that picture was take n of was all dirt roads coverd in snow and if u can tell in the picture 4x4 is on y would I need 4wheel drive on dirt road mayb I am just stupid???? When we go to play in theoff road park we pay money and that means I can do 2 wheel drive or 4 wheel drive locker no locker its up to me.....

PostPosted: Fri Nov 15, 2013 7:58 am 
Supporting Member

Where you from brotha

PostPosted: Fri Nov 15, 2013 11:38 am 
Global Moderator

:? What are you guys talking about?

PostPosted: Fri Nov 15, 2013 1:14 pm 
Supporting Member

I think the picture made him feel some type of way. Im leavin it alone. But as a photographer, I just want to point out how something as simple as a photograph can affect each of us in a different way. Regardless of knowledge in specifics within the image, more so just how we relate to it and how we perceive it and the way it makes us feel as it touches us on an intimate, personal, yet emotional level. Quite fascinating wouldn't you say so?

PostPosted: Fri Nov 15, 2013 1:25 pm 
Global Moderator

BKxterra718 wrote:
I think the picture made him feel some type of way. Im leavin it alone. But as a photographer, I just want to point out how something as simple as a photograph can affect each of us in a different way. Regardless of knowledge in specifics within the image, more so just how we relate to it and how we perceive it and the way it makes us feel as it touches us on an intimate, personal, yet emotional level. Quite fascinating wouldn't you say so?

I'd say this is a well made point. Thank you.

Back to topic; Still curious how the auto-locker works for the snow people. I'd love to do it but I drive too much in the snow to be willing to risk it without knowing more.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 15, 2013 1:35 pm 
Supporting Member

Theres a more in depth thread on this on xterranation I saw yesterday. Some dude called up Lokka and wrote a book report on it.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 15, 2013 1:51 pm 
Global Moderator

BKxterra718 wrote:
Theres a more in depth thread on this on xterranation I saw yesterday. Some dude called up Lokka and wrote a book report on it.

Yeah, TJ, he cracks me up. He has one on ClubX HERE if you have an hour or so to kill.

I have a different opinion than he does about locking up the front by itself on our trucks than he does but won't bore with that crap here.