Supporting Member

came across this thread :

http://www.clubxterra.org/forums/showthread.php?t=68897

heres the web
http://lokka.com/site/

Post subject: Re: automatic locker for 1st gens
PostPosted: Tue Nov 12, 2013 2:49 am 
Forum User

This will be awesome...I was going to wait and see about how it worked out for that guy on ClubX, but then I saw they were the same manufacturer as Aussie Locker. I've always heard great things about them, people who have them love em! I've heard the Jeep crowd say that you can't beak them, so it's perfect for my mod list. I think I'll start shopping for somebody to install it for me!

This answers sooo many questions for me...I have been going back and forth about going up to 32's or 33's, ball joint spacers, SAS, long travel kit...This would eliminate a lot of problems!

Thanks for posting this! :cheers:

PostPosted: Tue Nov 12, 2013 6:32 am 
Forum User

Beer pizza and a weekend. :I'm cheep, what can I say:

PostPosted: Tue Nov 12, 2013 7:52 am 
Global Moderator

This is interesting. Worth seeing how it works out with the CX rigs before it goes on my list.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 12, 2013 9:23 am 
Supporting Member

How does this compare to manual locker I dont get it... Please explains im retaded

PostPosted: Tue Nov 12, 2013 9:47 am 
Forum User

I must be missing something. I go to the company website and lookup a 1st gen Xterra, and the locker they have is for the front diff. They do not have one for the rear.

Having had a locker in the front on my old 1st gen, I can say that you definitely do not want one that locks automatically. When locked, you lose a lot of your steering control, and it has the potential to get very dangerous on some surfaces when engaged (e.g., on snow, the locked front diff can result in both wheels slipping and the vehicle sliding sideways unless it is on flat ground). You would definitely want selective locker if you are going to put one in the front. That being said, I really liked the front locker.

k_enn

Last edited by k_enn on Tue Nov 12, 2013 11:21 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 12, 2013 10:05 am 
Forum User

Ive heard good things about auto lockers and a few complaints but it was just some noise going in reverse and the tires chirping around sharp corners atleast for the rear axle. But considering how much cheaper they are and the fact you can install it yourself and not have to have a shop install it and set the gears. A company made some for the 2nd gen I belive it was detroit locker.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 12, 2013 12:48 pm 
Forum User

Ricel wrote:
Beer pizza and a weekend. :I'm cheep, what can I say:

Hehehe...don't put it out there unless you're serious...j/k, I'm betting you are serious. Dropping that diff is more than I'm going to do in my driveway, outside etc...it's getting chilly, My X is in pretty good shape but I am in the salt belt soo.. I'm getting too old for that sh!t :lol:

BKxterra718 wrote:
How does this compare to manual locker I dont get it... Please explains im retaded

Compared to a manual/selectable locker...this is LOCKED all the time. It unlocks by itself when you need differential action, like in a turn with 4x4 engaged when both wheels can get traction so that it doesn't torque your driveline up. When only one wheel has traction, or is going to spin (like how we always get one wheel in the air because of the BS amount of travel on our IFS when flexed out) it's going to be locked and let both wheels pull you through. The way I read it was that it WILL allow one wheel to turn faster than the differential (this is what happens when you go around a corner with an open differential), or both wheels to travel at the same speed. It will not allow one wheel to turn slower than the diff, like it is now with an open diff. If you hang a wheel in the air, or one wheel wanted to spin - it's locked!
So, from what I've read so far this is supposed to work better than a Detroit locker. I have heard many people complain about Detroits and say they are basically just about locked forever, forget it, you've almost got posi now. If you've heard other people talk about an Aussie Locker - this is the same thing, made by the same company, sold under that name. The Jeep crowd loves the Aussie Locker from what I've heard, and run them in the front and or the back.
There are a lot of answers on the website if you go to the FAQ section. They explain it pretty well. There are quite a few videos and a lot of feedback from Australians, who have many more miles of trails than most of us will ever see. They have a FB page as well.

They don't make one for the rear of the 1st gen because it is designed to be installed in an open differential, like what we have in the front. The rear of the 1st gen X and Frontier is a limited slip carrier 99% of the time. I think they used some open diffs in the rear, but never seen posted or heard of someone having one. You can't install this with a LSD carrier. So, if anyone has converted to a Limited Slip Differential in the front, this won't work for you.

I do wonder about having it on snow. My X is a DD and there are times I need my 4 wheel drive on the road.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 12, 2013 1:36 pm 
Global Moderator

Constitution wrote:
I do wonder about having it on snow. My X is a DD and there are times I need my 4 wheel drive on the road.

Same here. Big concern for me.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 12, 2013 3:03 pm 
Supporting Member

Well I already know the locker concept. Just dont know why anybody would want that as an automatic feature. I also would never want to lock my front dif since its pushin an IFS. Shit, I may never lock my rear!

PostPosted: Tue Nov 12, 2013 3:09 pm 
Forum User

I never locked my front on the road in snow. But there were a couple of times I did lock it in snow or under other extremely slick conditions on a trail. If you should lose traction, like you could on snow or other slick surfaces, your steering control is greatly diminished - basically your front end is just sliding. I actually had the front slide about three feet sideways once on snow conditions on the trail because the trail sloped sideways.

k_enn

PostPosted: Tue Nov 12, 2013 4:29 pm 
Global Moderator

Front and rear locked in the snow;

Weeee...

PostPosted: Tue Nov 12, 2013 5:38 pm 
Global Moderator

Bklyn.X wrote:
Front and rear locked in the snow;

Weeee...

I love driving after getting 18+" of snow and the roads are foobar. LOVE it.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 12, 2013 6:27 pm 
Supporting Member

better to have a button and control when to lock the diff is what i think i do alot of driving in crappy conditions and woudnt want to loose control over something i installed.

still cheap deal to bad the wont make one for rear

PostPosted: Tue Nov 12, 2013 10:59 pm 
Forum User

BKxterra718 wrote:
Well I already know the locker concept. Just dont know why anybody would want that as an automatic feature. I also would never want to lock my front dif since its pushin an IFS. Shit, I may never lock my rear!

I misunderstood when you said you didn't get it...I wouldn't have made such a wordy post explaining it :lol:

BKxterra718 wrote: