It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 7:12 am

Post subject: Parking brake help?
PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2006 8:18 pm 
The parking brake on my truck just went out. just had a few questions before i go tackle the problem.

without getting under the truck yet, just looking for some guidance. does the cable run down the driver side like i assume it does?

Does the cable "T" off to both rear wheels or just the driver side?

is it a pretty standard set up inside the rear drum?

has anyone experienced this and perhaps could tell me what i need to look for in a parking brake problem? the pedal pushes all the way down but has no "grab"

(im looking at you scott lol)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2006 8:39 pm 
Forum User

(trying not to hijack thread)

... and why do we have a foot operated brake instead of hand brake anyway? that sucks in a stick shift!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2006 8:51 pm 
Supporting Member

The cable runs down the passenger side...sorry, you guessed wrong. the adjuster for the cable is just under the B pillar.

If it just stopped working, more than likely its the cams that are inside the rear drums. They tend to get frozen up with all the salt. Try hitting them with PB blaster, then banging them back and forth a few times to see if that helps. If it does, grease them up well.

The cable adjuster is pretty easy to spot and since it is stainless steel, it usually works pretty well.

As far as the handbrake vs. footbrake, my 2000 has a hand brake, but the soccer moms didn't like it so they switched it My '02 has a foot brake.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2006 9:32 pm 
Forum User

daggerdoggie wrote:
As far as the handbrake vs. footbrake, my 2000 has a hand brake, but the soccer moms didn't like it so they switched it My '02 has a foot brake.

yeah, my '01 has a handbrake. whenever i use it, i always end up nailing my knee into it.

Post subject: Re: Parking brake help?
PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2006 9:15 am 
Agent Boost wrote:
The parking brake on my truck just went out. just had a few questions before i go tackle the problem.

without getting under the truck yet, just looking for some guidance. does the cable run down the driver side like i assume it does?

Does the cable "T" off to both rear wheels or just the driver side?

is it a pretty standard set up inside the rear drum?

has anyone experienced this and perhaps could tell me what i need to look for in a parking brake problem? the pedal pushes all the way down but has no "grab"

(im looking at you scott lol)

is there tension on the pedal when you push it? it could be a seized pivot arm inside the rear drums.

I make sure that after every couple of runs, I pull my drums off and give it a shot of fluid film. keeps it nicely lubed and working well.