It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 3:35 am

Post subject: fog light question
PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2009 12:05 am 
Noob

hello! My driver's side fog light doesn't work. I had the bulb replaced and they said it was something electrical. The right side fog light works so I know its not the fuse. Any suggestions on where to start troubleshooting? I traced the wire back as far as I can and see nothing wrong. Thanks for any input.
(2002 Xterra SE v6 5 speed) 97,700 miles

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2009 5:48 am 
Noob

Check the ground. It is usually a bad ground or corrosion around the light socket.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2009 7:13 am 
Supporting Member

Who installed the bulb? Was it a dealer?

If not check the connection on the inside as well... If I remember correctly it was a pain to change out the bulbs and some wire had to be just right.

You could also get a voltage meter and see if you have power going to that assembley or not..

Post subject: Re: fog light question
PostPosted: Fri Aug 21, 2009 6:28 am 
Forum User

cablegirl34 wrote:
hello! My driver's side fog light doesn't work. I had the bulb replaced and they said it was something electrical. The right side fog light works so I know its not the fuse. Any suggestions on where to start troubleshooting? I traced the wire back as far as I can and see nothing wrong. Thanks for any input.
(2002 Xterra SE v6 5 speed) 97,700 miles

I had the same exact problem last week on my 2003. The bulb was replaced and it was expensive! The light went out again in a few days. Took it back to my dealer who traced the problem to corroded wires! They fixed it free of charge (since I guess they missed it the first time) and now the fog light is back on again! Have a great Xterra day.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2009 11:04 pm 
Noob

I'm having the same issue with my fogs as i just installed them. I know its not the wires as they are all new.

I traved mine down to be the actualy 899 bulb socket. If i move the wires just right or tug a bit on the socket itself my fog light will flash.

Glad they fixed the issue though.

Post subject: fog lights
PostPosted: Thu Oct 22, 2009 7:29 pm 
Noob

I also have had trouble with one of my fog lights lately but have not had time to dig into it yet. However I was due for a Maine State Inspection Sticker so I just unhooked both of them until I get the time to actually fix the problem. The mechanic did give me the sticker after I replaced the lower ball joint ( which by the way was not even a little bit fun to do) but he did say he was giving me a break because if the fog lights are still in place, even if they are disconnected, they technically have to be working for the sticker. Long story short ( too late I know) I also had problems with fog lights on a truck that I used to own and in the long run figured out it was cheaper for me to install all new, over the counter, fog lights, sockets and wire rather than to have dealer just fix the problem. The fog lights were not the exact same as before but they looked fine and I saved a bunch of coin. Good luck I hope I find just a blown bulb but will let you know if I learn anything from the experience -Michael-[/i]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 22, 2009 8:12 pm 
Supporting Member

It could just simply be the bulb burnt out. But worse case scenario could be the housing is shot.. You really won't know until you start digging into it.. Good luck and let us know how you make out.. ;)