It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 6:32 am

Post subject: Introducing the NEXTerra Tech Inspection
PostPosted: Wed Oct 28, 2015 11:04 pm 
Club Vice President

<UPDATED>

Hi folks - the checklist in this post is a list of suggestions that we strongly recommend each participant follow. We hope that this will help our club events be safe & fun for all participants.

-----------------------------------------------

NEXterra Tech Inspection Checklist

We recommend all participants adhere to the suggestions below in the spirit of treading lightly & increased enjoyment & safety for all participants.

The NEXterra Waiver takes precedence over this document & in event of a conflict between this Checklist and the NEXterra Waiver, the terms of the Waiver shall control.

• Driver have a valid driver’s license
• Vehicle be in good driving condition with a working 4x4 Low range & have no excessive fluid leaks
• Vehicle be registration, have liability insurance and inspection if required (public road)
• Have good tires with sufficient tread for the terrain
• Roll Bar: For all open top vehicles
• Full-size spare tire
• Tow point (front or rear) capable of pulling your vehicle weight
• Working seat belts for driver and all passengers
• Secure battery hold-down (no bungee cords, belts, rope)
• Intact exhaust system
• Working headlights, tail lights, brake lights
• Fuel filler cap
• Jack – Capable of lifting the vehicle enough to change a tire
• Tire pressure gauge
• Tire pump
• Trash bag(s)
• Shovel
• Recovery straps: Capable of pulling your vehicle weight (no chains or metal hooks)
• Fully charged fire extinguisher
• First aid kit (well stocked)
• Flashlights
• Tools & tool box
• Tire patch/plug kit
• Water, snacks

Additional recommended equipment:
• Working CB and/or ham radio
• Tow points (front and rear) capable of pulling your vehicle weight
• Winch & recovery equipment
• Battery jumper cables
• Fluids (antifreeze, oil, brake, ATF, etc.)
• Fan belts
• Rags
• Hand cleaner
• Extra key

No illegal drugs, firearms or weapons are allowed at any NEXterra managed event.

No alcohol is allowed at any NEXterra managed event.

All NEXterra Event Participants must sign a Waiver at the beginning of every NEXterra event.

------------------------------------

Last edited by DirtySocks on Wed Nov 04, 2015 11:50 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Updated with the latest checklist

Post subject: Re: Introducing the mandatory NEXTerra Tech Inspection
PostPosted: Thu Oct 29, 2015 6:22 am 
Noob

I think this list was very well thought out.

Seeing that the ECXC 15 run was my first one, this would have been a helpful tool to prepare by. It provides some very good 'must haves' (although some fairly intuitive), it also provides some recommendations to strive toward. A fire extinguisher is important but not something even I would have thought of. Additionally I am guilty of one as I take for granted that I always have a loaded weapon nearby. Not wanting to leave that alone in a hotel room or campsite, that will have to stay at home.

May I say that stock mud-flaps, stock nerf bars, and some grill/brush guards may have to be removed to prevent damage.
I would however suggest bringing lunch and some environmentally friendly toilet paper.... no point in disturbing nature when she does call....

Good job!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Thu Oct 29, 2015 6:47 am 
Global Moderator

No need to feel guilty at all. Not one bit. You have a right to carry if you are legal in the state you are in. This right is expressly written into the US Constitution.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 29, 2015 7:45 am 
Forum User

Firehicks26 wrote:
Additionally I am guilty of one as I take for granted that I always have a loaded weapon nearby. Not wanting to leave that alone in a hotel room or campsite, that will have to stay at home.

Let's check and clarify that line. The way I read it it seems to stipulate no illegal firearms.

›»»»›‹«««‹

PostPosted: Thu Oct 29, 2015 7:46 am 
Global Moderator

theplasticone wrote:
Firehicks26 wrote:
Additionally I am guilty of one as I take for granted that I always have a loaded weapon nearby. Not wanting to leave that alone in a hotel room or campsite, that will have to stay at home.

Let's check and clarify that line. The way I read it it seems to stipulate no illegal firearms.

It reads that way. Correct.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 29, 2015 7:58 am 
Noob

Let's check and clarify that line. The way I read it it seems to stipulate no illegal firearms.[/quote]
It reads that way. Correct.[/quote]

Thanks for clarifying....

Wow... Whew... That makes me feel much better. I am not one to violate the rules (or laws).... But me and my baby are kinda inseparable... and I do have a carry permit and that IS A MUST HAVE in these cases!!!

Post subject: Introducing the mandatory NEXTerra Tech Inspection
PostPosted: Thu Oct 29, 2015 9:20 am 
Club Vice President

No illegal firearms are allowed.

As long as you're legally allowed to carry in the location, you should be ok.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 29, 2015 10:03 am 
Forum User

Great to see how much thought and care went into this list. Always better safe than sorry! Note hopefully mine passes the list :)

"I can do everything through Him who gives me strength" - Phil. 4:13

PostPosted: Thu Oct 29, 2015 4:01 pm 
Supporting Member

Guess I need to get my parking brake fixed. Lol

sent via ravens

PostPosted: Sat Oct 31, 2015 4:27 pm 
Forum User

I will probably have to get mine done too...worried about it since it was frozen before and Im not sure for how long, so may need replacing...ugh

"I can do everything through Him who gives me strength" - Phil. 4:13

PostPosted: Sun Nov 01, 2015 12:44 pm 
Supporting Member

Anyone else notice that "Tow Points" are on both lists?

PostPosted: Sun Nov 01, 2015 1:25 pm 
Club Vice President

1 tow point is mandatory.
2 (front & rear) are recommended.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 01, 2015 3:03 pm 
Forum User

The requirement I like for wheeling is a min 1/16" of tread. Like yeah, wheeling with slick tires is so much fun. Why don't we go with min 1/4" tread and at least an all terrain pattern?

I also think "Vehicle must not have any excessive fluid leaks" needs to be defined, maybe as a leak that drips, runs or pours. Stained diff covers and the like, that are not dripping are the only acceptable fluid leaks.

And are we really going to prevent a member from wheeling with us because they don't have a trash bag? Is this to prevent littering or to use as a fluid leak containment/abatement tool? If the latter, maybe we should require a shovel? and maybe just requiring all runs have a minimum 5 heavy duty contractor garbage bags and a tarp or two would be better than chasing after individuals for their bag and does it have a hole in it. And if the former why not simply say intentional littering will get you kicked off the site and barred from future wheeling events as it goes against everything NEXterra stands for.

And finely, the requirement "All gear must be securely strapped down inside or on your vehicle at all times", just doesn't seem to fit our wheeling style. We rarely hit 10 mph and the chances of rolling at speed where loose items will be hazardous, is almost inconceivable. I like having my shackles and recovery strap loose where I can quickly grab them, (especially if I'm stuck in water covered mud). Plus tying all the recommended stuff, plus wheel chocks, a jack stand, a spare front axle and other misc. gear down in the back of the Xterra is a definite pain. Stuff like air tanks, water jugs and heavy tool boxes always get tied down, but imho the rest should be left to the discretion of the driver, we've already signed the waver.

Crotchety old guy,
Scott

PostPosted: Sun Nov 01, 2015 3:13 pm 
Global Moderator

Scott Farris wrote:
The requirement I like for wheeling is a min 1/16" of tread. Like yeah, wheeling with slick tires is so much fun. Why don't we go with min 1/4" tread and at least an all terrain pattern?

I also think "Vehicle must not have any excessive fluid leaks" needs to be defined, maybe as a leak that drips, runs or pours. Stained diff covers and the like, that are not dripping are the only acceptable fluid leaks.

And are we really going to prevent a member from wheeling with us because they don't have a trash bag? Is this to prevent littering or to use as a fluid leak containment/abatement tool? If the latter, maybe we should require a shovel? and maybe just requiring all runs have a minimum 5 heavy duty contractor garbage bags and a tarp or two would be better than chasing after individuals for their bag and does it have a hole in it. And if the former why not simply say intentional littering will get you kicked off the site and barred from future wheeling events as it goes against everything NEXterra stands for.

And finely, the requirement "All gear must be securely strapped down inside or on your vehicle at all times", just doesn't seem to fit our wheeling style. We rarely hit 10 mph and the chances of rolling at speed where loose items will be hazardous, is almost inconceivable. I like having my shackles and recovery strap loose where I can quickly grab them, (especially if I'm stuck in water covered mud). Plus tying all the recommended stuff, plus wheel chocks, a jack stand, a spare front axle and other misc. gear down in the back of the Xterra is a definite pain. Stuff like air tanks, water jugs and heavy tool boxes always get tied down, but imho the rest should be left to the discretion of the driver, we've already signed the waver.

Crotchety old guy,
Scott

Great points Scott, please present them in the Supporting Members forum and start the conversation!

PostPosted: Sun Nov 01, 2015 5:01 pm 
Club Vice President

Thanks Scott & Dave. To keep things simple, the checklist requirements stand as is for now. The supporting members forum is open for discussions on club related matters & improvements. We'll like to hear your feedback & potential changes.

The decisions on the trail will be as always at the discretion of the trail leaders and/or attending club officers. Their decision will be final.