It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:38 pm

Post subject: Re: Introducing the mandatory NEXTerra Tech Inspection
PostPosted: Mon Nov 02, 2015 7:44 am 
Noob

Quote:
The requirement I like for wheeling is a min 1/16" of tread. Like yeah, wheeling with slick tires is so much fun. Why don't we go with min 1/4" tread and at least an all terrain pattern?

I have done a small # of events with Street Tires - Not All Terrain, i would agree with the tread depth, at 1/4" but not the all terrain - if it said All Terrain for more difficult trails yep, but not for the greens which i do...

And i do think a Technical Inspection is a Good Idea. for what normally do (autocross) it is done every event for every car. its More about Safety than anything else. if the Vehicle isnt safe, it shouldnt be on the trail or road.

Xau

PostPosted: Mon Nov 02, 2015 11:35 am 
Global Moderator

Xau wrote:
Quote:
The requirement I like for wheeling is a min 1/16" of tread. Like yeah, wheeling with slick tires is so much fun. Why don't we go with min 1/4" tread and at least an all terrain pattern?

I have done a small # of events with Street Tires - Not All Terrain, i would agree with the tread depth, at 1/4" but not the all terrain - if it said All Terrain for more difficult trails yep, but not for the greens which i do...

And i do think a Technical Inspection is a Good Idea. for what normally do (autocross) it is done every event for every car. its More about Safety than anything else. if the Vehicle isnt safe, it shouldnt be on the trail or road.

Xau

The best way to have a say in what the club's direction is, is to become a supporting member. While open to all people and vehicle makes, actual club business and preferences are determined by supporting members and their elected officers.
Thank you.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 02, 2015 4:04 pm 
Global Moderator

DirtySocks wrote:
Thanks Scott & Dave. To keep things simple, the checklist requirements stand as is for now. The supporting members forum is open for discussions on club related matters & improvements. We'll like to hear your feedback & potential changes.

The decisions on the trail will be as always at the discretion of the trail leaders and/or attending club officers. Their decision will be final.

I agree. Let's please keep things simple.

Every situation can be different and so this has been written in a vague manner in order to ease folks into what they should prepare for when they take their truck off-road. This is all basic stuff and really should be common knowledge.
I don’t think we have to explain that fluid dripping from your truck is considered “excessive”.
IMHO everyone who goes off-road should have a trash bag in their truck.
Although I carry leak containment gear I’m not planning to prevent some noob from running Green type trails their first time if they don’t.
What is strapped down is up to the driver however during an inspection it is much easier to let things slide from an “All gear” rule than try and list every item in a truck that might or might not need to be secured.
A tech inspection is not about protecting the club from liability, like you say, we have the waiver. It’s about trying to keep our members safe and teaching folks what we consider responsible wheeling.
It might also prevent me from getting held up on the trail because someone I’m wheeling with is unprepared or did not know….
That’s right; it’s all about me and my good time…

PostPosted: Wed Nov 04, 2015 11:41 pm 
Club Vice President

Ok folks - after much discussion & feedback, we are revising our tech checklist. These are suggestions we advice all participants to follow. There will be no formal inspection, we will take people at their word.

-----------------------------------------
NEXterra Tech Inspection Checklist

We recommend all participants adhere to the suggestions below in the spirit of treading lightly & increased enjoyment & safety for all participants.

The NEXterra Waiver takes precedence over this document & in event of a conflict between this Checklist and the NEXterra Waiver, the terms of the Waiver shall control.

• Driver have a valid driver’s license
• Vehicle be in good driving condition with a working 4x4 Low range & have no excessive fluid leaks
• Vehicle be registration, have liability insurance and inspection if required (public road)
• Have good tires with sufficient tread for the terrain
• Roll Bar: For all open top vehicles
• Full-size spare tire
• Tow point (front or rear) capable of pulling your vehicle weight
• Working seat belts for driver and all passengers
• Secure battery hold-down (no bungee cords, belts, rope)
• Intact exhaust system
• Working headlights, tail lights, brake lights
• Fuel filler cap
• Jack – Capable of lifting the vehicle enough to change a tire
• Tire pressure gauge
• Tire pump
• Trash bag(s)
• Shovel
• Recovery straps: Capable of pulling your vehicle weight (no chains or metal hooks)
• Fully charged fire extinguisher
• First aid kit (well stocked)
• Flashlights
• Tools & tool box
• Tire patch/plug kit
• Water, snacks

Additional recommended equipment:
• Working CB and/or ham radio
• Tow points (front and rear) capable of pulling your vehicle weight
• Winch & recovery equipment
• Battery jumper cables
• Fluids (antifreeze, oil, brake, ATF, etc.)
• Fan belts
• Rags
• Hand cleaner
• Extra key

No illegal drugs, firearms or weapons are allowed at any NEXterra managed event.

No alcohol is allowed at any NEXterra managed event.

All NEXterra Event Participants must sign a Waiver at the beginning of every NEXterra event.

-----------------------------------

PostPosted: Wed Nov 04, 2015 11:48 pm 
Club Vice President

OP has been updated with the latest changes to the checklist.