It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:43 pm

Post subject: 01 Xterra No crank , No start Issue.
PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2018 6:17 am 
Supporting Member

Was hoping to find some help on here about an ongoing issue i'm having with my 1st gen X with the 3.3L motor.

All started saturday my wife was complaining it was taking a while for it to actually crank and turn the motor over but once it did it started right up fine. I took the truck on a test drive to a local walmart and it did the same exact thing she explained to me. Put the key in to turn it on and didnt start until i had the key turned for a couple seconds. So i brought it home to do more diag on it, put it on ramps and ever since then i can't get the thing to start at all .

Things i've replaced since the problem.
-New ignition switch
-New battery(old one had a bad cell)
-Every fuse regarding the starter is brand new.

I did try the good ol whack the starter hard while someone is trying to start it method with no successful results.
I'm getting power to the starter relays up confirming it with my multimeter. Only thing i haven't really check with the multimeter is the starter itself. I did put a screwdriver on the starter connections and tried to manually make the motor work, which it does but it doesnt turn the engine over all i hear is the motor of the starter itself running.

Im really not sure where to look now and its getting mr very frustrated on not figuring the problem out so if any of you have any ideas of what it might be i'm all ears.

Has 132k and has shown no sign of a bad starter at all .

Post subject: Re: 01 Xterra No crank , No start Issue.
PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2018 6:37 pm 
Supporting Member

Fuel
Spark
Air
Compression

I'm guessing distributor or fuel pump. If you change pump do an entire treatment including replacing the fuel filter. You can hook up your multimeter to diagnose the pump using the FSM or Haynes. Also when cycling ignition, you should hear the pump kick on when going into second position before starting. You have any C.E.L.'s?

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2018 8:51 pm 
Supporting Member

I hear the fuel pump when cycling, I can't get it to crank at all to check for spark from the spark plugs. It's all of sudden that it happened. I tried removing the starter today to get it checked. I couldn't get it past the small tight space that was there . I'm going to take another crack at it tomorrow.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2018 4:19 pm 
Supporting Member

Wait I'm retarded. There's no crank? Do you have aftermarket or any alarm installed? We had an 04 Pathfinder at the shop today wouldn't crank, and it was the alarm.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 25, 2018 10:33 pm 
Supporting Member

Got the issue sorted. One of the wires going to the starter was broken. I put a new starter in and it starts right up. Man replacing a starter on these X's is no easy task. Had to remove the crossmember to give me enough room to get the starter in. Such a very tight space . Thanks for the help BK

PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2018 4:28 pm 
Supporting Member

Remove the xmember holy shite. Time for a body lift my friend.