It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:33 pm

Post subject: Clicking sound from front hub
PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2016 10:57 am 
Global Moderator

Ah, I didn't understand how the the c-clip delete related to the problem being discussed...as you explain, it doesn't.
Not that I've done it but wouldn't it be better to just take the guts out of the auto hub and put it back on than to remove the axle and try to plug the back of the spindle?

Sent from 718 using Tapatalk...

Post subject: Re: Clicking sound from front hub
PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2016 11:04 am 
Forum User

Bklyn.X wrote:
<snip> I’ve heard that the common WARN stud failure can be avoided by using grade 8 bolts and thread-loc however IMHO it’s kinda F’d up that you need to modify the studs with a new, out of the box item…
There could also be two problems you could possibly encounter using those grade 8 bolts. First is that if they break (never seen it) they would be even harder to tap out of the wheel hub than the supplied WARN studs. Second is that if they start to back out they destroy your wheel hub by “egging out” the holes requiring replacement of that wheel hub (seen this more than once).

Quite right, Tom, about not using the Warn supplied studs. But I tried grade 5, grade 8 and grade 10 bolts, and had all grades break and also had them "egging out" the holes. When those higher grades break, they are a real b!itch get out. Broke many a drill bit and extractor on them. When I sheared all six on one wheel, it was easier to just replace the wheel hub.

k_enn

Post subject: Clicking sound from front hub
PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2016 11:12 am 
Supporting Member

Bklyn.X wrote:
Ah, I didn't understand how the the c-clip delete related to the problem being discussed...as you explain, it doesn't.
Not that I've done it but wouldn't it be better to just take the guts out of the auto hub and put it back on than to remove the axle and try to plug the back of the spindle?

Sent from 718 using Tapatalk...
ugh... Removing c clip was a suggestion while the hub was removed for evaluation, just to be clear. Nothin to do w clickin. Yea he could remove guts of hub rather than complete axle, that'd be hella smarter good point.