It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 10:42 am

Post subject: 2004 x head gasket issue?
PostPosted: Sat Sep 06, 2014 9:08 am 
Noob

Last night coming home from work there was a light spray of water coming from under the hood on the highway when I stuck my hand out. It felt like antifreeze and oily. Didn't think much of it since it was running fine. Then I stop as soon as I get off the ramp and smoke billows out behind me and from under the hood. Temp gauge was a quarter inch from the red, I turned the heat all the way up. And this weird clicking noise started everytime I would accelerate. And I'm about a mile from my house and the car shut off. And I had my girlfriend tow me home with her x. Then I looked under the god and the hose connecting the thermostat housing to the block right to the left of the distributor had a huge crack in it.
Is it the head gasket? Or could it just be the hose that needs to be changed? What is it
I'm going to try to get my mechanic over to take a look.

Post subject: Re: 2004 x head gasket issue?
PostPosted: Sat Sep 06, 2014 10:36 am 
Supporting Member

Picture please

www.justinandersdenmark.com

PostPosted: Sat Sep 06, 2014 11:18 am 
Forum User

White smoke from tail pipe?

PostPosted: Sat Sep 06, 2014 11:20 am 
Noob

mixxali4 wrote:
White smoke from tail pipe?

I haven't checked it out yet. I need to find the hose at AutoZone before i start the car back up. I'll upload a picture of the ripped hose in a few hours. Almost done with work for the day

PostPosted: Sat Sep 06, 2014 1:28 pm 
Noob

BKxterra718 wrote:

take a look. I'm about to head to the zone to see if they have that hose
http://s35.photobucket.com/user/Mattkry ... t=3&page=1

PostPosted: Sat Sep 06, 2014 6:17 pm 
Forum User

Change all of the hose while u at it :cheers:

PostPosted: Sat Sep 06, 2014 8:26 pm 
Noob

mixxali4 wrote:
Change all of the hose while u at it :cheers:

Doing all the hoses, thermostat, cap and rotor, and I'm going to keep my eye out for a SC xterra radiator. :D

PostPosted: Sat Sep 06, 2014 8:49 pm 
Forum User

:thumbup:

PostPosted: Sun Sep 07, 2014 3:25 pm 
Supporting Member

I dont see any hose in that pic. Just see electrical wire cover w red tape around it is that what you are referring to? You can see if ur coolant is mixing w ur oil if u lift the oil cap and see mayo in it. It could also be moisture though. Another better way to check is by pullin out the dipstick when she's cold and seein if theres mayo there. Be sure to check the radiator and see if theres coolant in it. They sell pressure testers in Harbor Freight to pinpoint leaks.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 07, 2014 8:12 pm 
Supporting Member

Nvrmnd i see it. Looks like a gash man. Any update on this?

PostPosted: Sun Sep 07, 2014 10:07 pm 
Noob

BKxterra718 wrote:
Nvrmnd i see it. Looks like a gash man. Any update on this?

http://www.justinandersdenmark.com

Took me a while to get the hose out since its in such a tight spot, and three different trys to put the new one in, I got a 1inch diameter hose from autozone and cut it to fit. I changed my thermostat and got a new housing, I'm waiting till the morning for the gasket sealer to dry then I'll put the new hoses on the radiator. I pulled off my ac belt since my condensor has a hole in it. Got drain plugs to close the holes up from the Intake resonators. Changed my cap and rotor. And plastidipped my hood black to see if I would like it with bed liner. And while doing this today, I started thinking about doing a dual electric fan conversion, with either the SC radiator, or a full metal radiator and relocate the mounts since I need to replace my radiator support because of a fender bender on the passenger side front corner. (see photo book) http://s35.photobucket.com/user/Mattkry ... t=3&page=1
Tomorrow will be the test to see if I fixed the problem and hope that its not a head gasket.....

I also did a power steering fluid cooler, along with a transmission cooler. And a royal purple synthetic fluid flush. About 4k miles ago Drained front and rear differential oils (the fluid was pretty brown and nasty looking with lots of build up on the magnet, doubt they were ever changed ) and put in royal purple gear oil 75-90 if I remembered correctly. Going to have to change it again just to clean it out some more, will also do the transfer case soon too. and extend the breather tubes on diffs and t-case. Ripped off the plastic bumper and fog lights and added 2 18watt led spot lights along with 2 led flood lights on the rear roof rack rails. Added 20% tints. did the fog light mod so I can use them without head lights on. And also picked up some 15in cragar soft 8s for when I lift it soon. Going to throw on either nitto mud grapplers or BFG mud terrains. Any other tires I should look Into?

http://s35.photobucket.com/user/Mattkry ... t=3&page=1

PostPosted: Mon Sep 08, 2014 7:47 am 
Supporting Member

Mkxterra203 wrote:
Going to throw on either nitto mud grapplers or BFG mud terrains. Any other tires I should look Into?

sort=3&page=1

Looks good. On her way. Idk where in CT you are but if you need assistance lifting hit us up we in Brooklyn. As for tires im still kinda new at this but Goodyear Wrangler's MTR w Kevlar is what we all ride on and preach about. Around 200/tire on tirerack.com. Im on my second set in 2 years, but she's my DD and I wheel often so...

PostPosted: Mon Sep 08, 2014 1:44 pm 
Noob

BKxterra718 wrote:
Mkxterra203 wrote:
Going to throw on either nitto mud grapplers or BFG mud terrains. Any other tires I should look Into?

sort=3&page=1

Looks good. On her way. Idk where in CT you are but if you need assistance lifting hit us up we in Brooklyn. As for tires im still kinda new at this but Goodyear Wrangler's MTR w Kevlar is what we all ride on and preach about. Around 200/tire on tirerack.com. Im on my second set in 2 years, but she's my DD and I wheel often so...

I live in stratford, exit 32 on I95. And I'll let you guys know when I get all the parts and we will plan for a day get her done. What about body lifts, I might just order the kit and do the body lift when I do sus. Lift, or should I do it before a suspension lift. When I do the lift I also want to change my tie rods out too. And should I get lower balljoints too?
I'll look Into the goodyears. I liked the nitto's since they have such an aggressive look to them.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 08, 2014 7:05 pm 
Supporting Member

Mkxterra203 wrote:

I live in stratford, exit 32 on I95. And I'll let you guys know when I get all the parts and we will plan for a day get her done. What about body lifts, I might just order the kit and do the body lift when I do sus. Lift, or should I do it before a suspension lift. When I do the lift I also want to change my tie rods out too. And should I get lower balljoints too?
I'll look Into the goodyears. I liked the nitto's since they have such an aggressive look to them.

Id say body lift first, its gona take around 5-8hrs. It will give better hand clearance for working w re-torsioning the bars and such things. Balljoints no, just get 2 spares for the trail. Tie rods and HD tie rod adjusters are good to get. 4x4parts.com for the HD adjusters and u can check online for Moog Problem Solvers Tie rods. They are greasable so thats a nice feature. Before I got into this I was all about what looks nice too, but now im all about performance and durability. Those fancy lookin tires are known to warp often. Happened to me and several other people ive met. You will have to rotate them more often and that still doesnt guarantee it wont happen. Somethin about the design of the studs idk. Mine is a daily driver. And id say at least 5 other people here in Brooklyn run them in 33's and larger. The road here are torn up and pot holey, and we drive everywhere. We also go offroading at least once a month. We put these tires to the test. I remember one time we were at Rausch and some dude told me there was a huge sharp rock going straight through my Goodyear and I rolled right off like it never happened. This is my second set and Im purchasing my third come winter. But to each his own, def do your research on the matter. Tires are last btw. When you're fully lifted they'll fit a lot nicer, gona still need some trimming and banging in. I almost forgot, did you get new cambolts and new low profile bump stops w the BL and SL?

PostPosted: Mon Sep 08, 2014 9:20 pm 
Forum User

Holy sh@t jus ....u talk a lot....yeah yeah yeah come to 718 we help u to do the lift In the 718 garage :givemebeer: