It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 1:53 am

Post subject: Broken locking nut on driver front wheel
PostPosted: Sun May 26, 2013 9:32 pm 
Club Vice President

So this afternoon, had some free time from work & decided to install the new shocks that were sitting at home. Had the 2 rears & the passenger front done. And then with the finish line in sight, started removing the wheel nuts on the driver front. When I got to the locking nut.. kaboom... half the nut broke off. I can't remove it nor can I take the wheel off right now.

Going to take it to a shop because it seems a little more than my skill level. Anyone had a similar issue before? Should I go to a tire shop or a regular mechanic?

I'm also guessing that I can drive with three new shocks & 1 old + a half broken wheel nut. Appreciate any thought from the more mechanically inclined in the club.

Some pics from today:

Old shocks look like they have been through a bomb blast:

The rear all set to go. I had to change the mounting plate because the old shock bolt had taken a nasty hit (from the NEA Snow Run last year I think) & had fused itself to the washer/nut. Also replaced the U-bolts, old ones were shot. Need to to do a better job of shortening the bolts though, using a hand saw sucks.

Post subject: Re: Broken locking nut on driver front wheel
PostPosted: Sun May 26, 2013 10:18 pm 
Club President

Suresh, I have not had this issue before, but I would think that a tire shop should be able to get the wheel off; I'm sure you're not the first and not the last who has run into this problem.

And as for the oddball shock, you're probably safe to drive around with that, too.

PostPosted: Sun May 26, 2013 11:17 pm 
Forum User

You can drive, just don't drive far. It could be safe to assume that the broken nut is still torqued (likely seized, even) but I wouldn't chance it on anything but local driving.

›»»»›‹«««‹

PostPosted: Mon May 27, 2013 9:28 am 
Forum User

are your talking about the lug nut with the locking piece that goes on top of it for removing or installing the nut? It is a little hard to advise without seeing how it broke, but I have removed those nuts before. Basically, you take a small chisel and gouge into the nut at an angle such that when you continue to tap the chisel into the nut nut you are actually turning it in the direction for removal. Not too bad a job with an impact hammer/chisel. A good bit of work with just a chisel and regular hammer. As an alternative, if you have a dremel tool with a cutting wheel, you can carefully cut the nut along the axis that the stud goes on - don't cut all the way through to avoid messing up the stud. When the nut is sufficiently weakend (Maybe doing a cut on opposite sides of the nut), bust it apart with a big freaking hammer.

k_enn

PostPosted: Mon May 27, 2013 1:22 pm 
Club Vice President

It's the locking but with the groves on the top. Have a pic on my phone, will download & post it. Don't have cutting tools so going to take it to a shop. It's going to cost me but at least I won't have the wheel coming off on my way to work... Hahaha!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Mon May 27, 2013 1:50 pm 
Club Vice President

So, I'm sitting here at PepBoys (the only place open/having a slot for today). They said trying to cut the lug it was going to damage the wheel. So, the hub & the axel shaft has been removed & the wheel taken off with the rotor etc still attached to it. The mechanic says he's got to cut the rotor to get at the a wheel stud. The stud, lug nut & the rotor is having to be replaced.

Would have been cheaper to buy a Dremmel/Sawsall or something & try it myself. Then if course I would have had to bum a ride to work. Oh we'll... Chalk this one down to experience.

PostPosted: Mon May 27, 2013 2:37 pm 
Forum User

DirtySocks wrote:
So, I'm sitting here at PepBoys (the only place open/having a slot for today). They said trying to cut the lug it was going to damage the wheel. So, the hub & the axel shaft has been removed & the wheel taken off with the rotor etc still attached to it. The mechanic says he's got to cut the rotor to get at the a wheel stud. The stud, lug nut & the rotor is having to be replaced.

Would have been cheaper to buy a Dremmel/Sawsall or something & try it myself. Then if course I would have had to bum a ride to work. Oh we'll... Chalk this one down to experience.

Removing thge whole axel assembly and replacing the stud and rotor is Bullsh!t. Run away from that place as fast as you can.

What a bunch of dumb sh!ts. If you are using the cutting method (which is not the first choice) yYou don't cut down to the stud. You just cut the nut enough so that it is weakened and and you break the nut apart. We do it all the time to remove the exhaust nuts on my model of motorcycle, and when done with care it has never messed up anything other than the nut.

The easiet way by far is to use a a chisel edge and impact hammer and work the nut off. All they need to do is work it out with a chisel. I lost my lock "key" and did all 4 of my wheels with an impact hammer/chisel in about a half hour. Go to a tire place. They should deal with this on a regular basis.

Too bad I found out about this so late - othewise you could come to my place in northern jersey (15 minutes from NYC) and we could do it.

k_enn

PostPosted: Mon May 27, 2013 8:39 pm 
Forum User

Don't put locking nuts back on, they are nothing but a PITA! When I lost the key to mine I used a socket just a little smaller than the nut and tapped it on with a hammer then used a ratchet to remove them, took about 5 min to remove all 4.

PostPosted: Mon May 27, 2013 9:54 pm 
Club Vice President

Thanks Ken & Tom. Unfortunately I only read the posts when I got back home. The one wheel now has just regular lug nuts on. I'll replace the other locking nuts over the weekend too.

PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2013 6:59 am 
Supporting Member

Yea man, I had a nut that was rustwelded on the stud. Just cut that sh!t off with a grinder. Then went thru the whole process of installing new stud and bingo bongo.

PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2013 8:37 pm 
Events Committee Member

Oh man that sucks !!!
I actuallly have a special tool to take off locking lugs that are stripped or broken.
another tool I keep with me just in case something happens on the trail.

I don't like them myself...
If you need them due to the area you may be in, then you have to have them.
a G, in rims and tires must me protected too.

PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2013 10:10 pm 
Club Vice President

Just for kicks, here's how the nut looked.

PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2013 1:37 pm 
Supporting Member

oh damn, and this is why i stay away from locking nuts lol . sorry to hear

PostPosted: Thu May 30, 2013 6:51 am 
Noob

Was that a Nissan or aftermarket locking lug nut?

PostPosted: Thu May 30, 2013 7:45 am 
Supporting Member

Just curious, but why you still rockin factory rims for? Ive heard they no good for wheelin, no?