It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 2:29 am

Post subject: 01 Haivng some starting issues
PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2012 10:04 pm 
Noob

I havent had my starting system checked buts its a hit and miss..

figured i'd ask here. Every now and then (not all the time) i turn the key and it acts like a dead battery and then it starts to turn over, stops, and starts and fires up.. I drive it , startsup fine after that.

i'm pointing my finger at both the starter and battery, any options on where/what as to cranking amps and reman starter (as nissan says they no longer carry 01's)

Post subject: Re: 01 Haivng some starting issues
PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2012 6:43 am 
Forum User

I've had the same issues a few times. It ended up being the starter solenoid stud/contact had worked its way loose from the solenoid itself. If you climb under there and give the wires a wiggle, it should be evident.

If you are going to replace it, it is possible to get the starter out without removing all of the other stuff that they mention in the manual - with small hands, a ratchet extension and some creative maneuvering of the starter, you don't need to remove any subframe parts.

I've used the duralast starter from Autozone, mostly because of the price and it was in stock when I needed it. It has a lifetime warranty, just keep your receipt, mine died after 3 years and they exchanged it no questions asked.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2012 10:28 am 
Noob

cool, i'll just have to do that tomorrow (if its not thundering out..) I have ramps so that makes it more easy to climb under, as for the small hands.. nope not going to happen unless i make the wife do it lol :guns:

thanks for the input, i'll report back with the findings.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2012 12:48 pm 
Forum User

My hands is big and i did not have to remove nothink but it takes some time to pull it out!but putting it back was a peace of cake so good luck :cheers:

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2012 3:11 pm 
Noob

well i finaly got the time to get under it, and the cables/wires are solid, but noticed will need a new oil pan, 01 pan looks like crap..

but i did find a sticker on the battery 2006 Nov so im pointing my finger at the "DIEHARD" battery lol... Once i clear the funding for a new bat, will report back with findings...

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2012 7:20 am 
Noob

sorry i haven't reported back, I got a new battery and that solved it untill this morning.

noticed that when i hit the unlock on my key fob nothing happened, but i heard the door latch unlock, got in, put the key in turned nothing.... So i go now what? pulled the key, and tried again, and it started but the wipers and everything on the dash was doing there dance and then stoped. Thought ok????

so i gave it a min or two, my son was saying something along the line of a Ghost but w/e, so we start to drive, my cd/dvd player starts to skip, and i noticed my ABS and CEL was blinking and every time it blinked the song skiped. Got to a stop sign and was going to turn around, and it stoped. drove normal.

I've googled "electrical problems" and got Alternator could be going or something... I'm starting to think why that guy was in a good mood to trade me for my RX8....

Any help, check points or something would be greatfull this is all i have and funding is low.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2012 11:29 am 
Global Moderator

Grimm0ne wrote:
sorry i haven't reported back, I got a new battery and that solved it untill this morning.

noticed that when i hit the unlock on my key fob nothing happened, but i heard the door latch unlock, got in, put the key in turned nothing.... So i go now what? pulled the key, and tried again, and it started but the wipers and everything on the dash was doing there dance and then stoped. Thought ok????

so i gave it a min or two, my son was saying something along the line of a Ghost but w/e, so we start to drive, my cd/dvd player starts to skip, and i noticed my ABS and CEL was blinking and every time it blinked the song skiped. Got to a stop sign and was going to turn around, and it stoped. drove normal.

I've googled "electrical problems" and got Alternator could be going or something... I'm starting to think why that guy was in a good mood to trade me for my RX8....

Any help, check points or something would be greatfull this is all i have and funding is low.

Won't some auto parts stores do a free diagnostic? That way you could get code being thrown and it may help.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2012 12:24 pm 
Noob

Yeah i have a code reader but wasn't going to get messy before work. Now that i'm home after picking up my kid, i'll see if the code is there in memory (like the Knock sensor one) and see.

I wanted to stop at this auto electric guy here local, does starters/alts/ and dio's electrical problems but he was out to lunch. Will give him a shot latter on today as well. Its weird, as it doesn't do it all the time, and after the new battery, it hasn't done it for a few weeks and then today, the really weird crap happend.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2012 1:46 pm 
Club Vice President

A friend who has a 05 had something similar... at first looked like a dead/weak battery issues but changing the battery didn't help. Once it started, it would run ok. After spending alot of time & money with local guys he had the dealer look at it - turned out some wires runing along the frame were shorting, causing electical problem.

Unfortunately he can't remember exactly what was changed beyond 'they changes some wires that were shorting' :roll:

Anyways, promised to go look for his papers... if he finds out what was done, will let you know.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2012 4:14 pm 
Noob

that would be great.

i ran the OBDII and got the fantom knock code. nothing else. I've rewired a few cars (DSM's auto to manual, manual to auto) but its not that time of the year to being pulling wires/dash's.

i'll have 2 good days left, but i'll start my engine bay hunt starting at the fuse box and work my way back to see if anything is rubbing. but keep me posted.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 17, 2013 9:19 am 
Supporting Member

What ever happened w this thread? Just recently my truck is cranking slow in the morning like its being drained all night. I just put in starter 2 months ago, alternator 6 months ago, and battery 7 months ago. Called up Optima, they said take it to get tested locally. Autozone checked and battery and alternator are fine. Last night I parked by the crib right quick, shut the engine and put hazards on, and the dome light would flicker at the same time. Last week, I had the truck running, in park, w the fan on, and if I would keep triggering the window motor button after they are all up the battery light would slowly fade on. Its really hit or miss right now, either just a slow crank or a regular on on startup. All my aftermarket electricals are hardly used and I've checked all the wiring. Anybody?

PostPosted: Wed Jul 17, 2013 9:45 am 
Noob

Replaced the Battery, and got a new ground cable from ebay.

Fixed most of the problems, sometimes when I put it in park, its not in "park" and will not start, bump the selector forward and then it starts. Key-lock cable needs adjusted but not to that point yet.

Id check your battery cables, they are on ebay or if your good friends with the dealer try them..

PostPosted: Wed Jul 17, 2013 10:03 am 
Supporting Member

My cables all good. My key is mad fucked up though maybe i'll try my spare and see how it sounds

PostPosted: Wed Jul 17, 2013 10:18 am 
Noob

AH,

that could be a good place to start, check your Ing switch at the wheel, my fathers lhs was messed up and would turn the car off but wouldn't be off (if that sounds right) id check there and work your way forward to the engine compartment.

something is not "switching" or turning off like it should.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 17, 2013 10:39 am 
Supporting Member

Just found a dvd player bypass switch that was n-rigged. Electrical tape was all melted off. Idk, but I fixed it up, we'll see whats good. Im thinkin its a battery issue, somethins drainin it. Fml