It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 3:54 pm

Post subject: starter
PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2005 7:45 pm 
has anyone had any trouble with starters freezing up? my X was parked at walmart for 12 hours today while i was at work. (car pool to deleware). anyway. when i got back and turned the key, i had full battery power but the motor did not crank. i tried it 5 or 6 more times and it finally started. do you think it was due to the fact that it was high of 23 degrees today?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2005 10:02 pm 
Supporting Member

Starters have been pretty reliable for the Xterras. I have not heard of too many failing. Sounds to me more like it is your battery. The stock batteries suck; while it may have seemed like you had full power, starting the engine takes a ton of juice. What you describe sounds like a weak, failing battery. It may work fine for a while, but one day, it will just die.

Take it someplace and have the battery load-tested. Many places will do it for free or a small charge.

Good luck! :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2005 10:21 pm 
WELL IT DID IT AGAIN TODAY. I WENT TO AUTOZONE AND HAD THE BATTERY TESTED. TESTED OUT GOOD. SO I BELIEVE THAT I HAVE WATER SOMEPLACE IT SHOULD'NT BE. CAUSE AT NIGHT I PARK IN MY GARAGE AND IT STARTS UP FINE. THEN SETTING OUTSIDE ALL DAY GIVES ME TROUBLE. SO IT MUST THAW OVER NIGHT THEN REFREEZE DURING THE DAY. I AM GOING TO LOOK INTO IT FURTHER OVER THE WEEKEND. ANYONE HAVE ANY IDEAS LET ME KNOW. THANKS