It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:19 am

Post subject: Hi-Lift Carrier to Antenna Mount
PostPosted: Tue Aug 13, 2019 11:47 am 
Supporting Member

I decided I don't like having the Hi Lift on my tire swing (Hardcore Offroad) so now I'm wondering if there's a way to convert it to a CB antenna mount. It's welded to the swing arm, which pivots on a spindle via two bearings. Do I just need to grind off the powdercoat and drill mounting holes? or is there more to it?

Post subject: Re: Hi-Lift Carrier to Antenna Mount
PostPosted: Tue Aug 13, 2019 11:58 am 
Supporting Member

BostonX wrote:
I decided I don't like having the Hi Lift on my tire swing (Hardcore Offroad) so now I'm wondering if there's a way to convert it to a CB antenna mount. It's welded to the swing arm, which pivots on a spindle via two bearings. Do I just need to grind off the powdercoat and drill mounting holes? or is there more to it?

You could do that. You're going to have terrible reception with it being that low though.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 13, 2019 12:08 pm 
Supporting Member

I only need it to be able to contact the other vehicles in my trail group. It's not meant to be a permanent installation nor any form of "rescue" communication. Do you think the location would work for that purpose?

PostPosted: Tue Aug 13, 2019 2:06 pm 
Club Secretary

It’s a convenient place to mount the antenna. It isn’t the best place if you want decent reception. I’d look at this site (http://firestik.com/Tech_Docs.htm) They have a lot of good info about CB’s and antennas. Even an article on mounting to a tire carrier. I’d read as much of these topics as possible before making a decision. Somewhere in there it says what percentage of your antenna should be above the roof line. I can’t remember exactly what it is. I’d rather see you make an educated decision, than just wing it.

My X. http://www.nexterra.org/forums/viewtopi ... =71&t=9534

PostPosted: Tue Aug 13, 2019 2:18 pm 
Supporting Member

murphy wrote:
It’s a convenient place to mount the antenna. It isn’t the best place if you want decent reception. I’d look at this site (http://firestik.com/Tech_Docs.htm) They have a lot of good info about CB’s and antennas. Even an article on mounting to a tire carrier. I’d read as much of these topics as possible before making a decision. Somewhere in there it says what percentage of your antenna should be above the roof line. I can’t remember exactly what it is. I’d rather see you make an educated decision, than just wing it.

I'll look for the article. Thanks

PostPosted: Tue Aug 13, 2019 6:42 pm 
Supporting Member

My other concern would be breaking the antenna if it caught in something. Even with a spring, there isn't much swing room there.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 15, 2019 9:32 pm 
Forum User

JeffPro4x wrote:
My other concern would be breaking the antenna if it caught in something. Even with a spring, there isn't much swing room there.
Had my whole rooftop basket and Jack ripped off the top from a low hanging tree couple weeks ago on a trail in Wendell ma had to put it back on in the pouring rain. Thank god my daughter noticed it on the ground behind us during the loud bang from the tree. Would have been out some money on that one lol. Anyways, this is my antenna set up.Image

Sent from my VS988 using Tapatalk