It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:47 am

Post subject: Not working out
PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2019 11:32 pm 
Forum User

So, after my hardware purchases and time spent moding the spare tire on the rooftop basket, it's just not working out. My other mods of axe and shovel on driver side and my high lift jack on passenger side, along with the spare tire mod, on the basket, seems to be too much weight for the oem rack. To much noise going on, not to mention the basket keeps moving, no matter how much I tighten it down. Causing new rattle noises from oem rack. So the tire is inside in the back cargo area for now. Not to mention I don't really need the high lift jack on right now. Guess I'm going to have to reiterate the sitiluation.

Sent from my VS990 using Tapatalk

Post subject: Re: Not working out
PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2019 5:09 am 
Club Secretary

Now that you mention it, the weight up high may be why you’re getting the slip light around corners.

My X. http://www.nexterra.org/forums/viewtopi ... =71&t=9534

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2019 6:57 am 
Forum User

murphy wrote:
Now that you mention it, the weight up high may be why you’re getting the slip light around corners.
It's all off, and it's still doing it.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2019 7:28 am 
Forum User

Did you get an alignment after the new tires? Do you have cam bolts?

The factory rack is rated for 250lbs. Not for nothing, but it may be the quality of the rack and the accessory mounts. Put the spare back underneath. I ran mine under there until I had the cash for a rear bumper. It’s not a big deal to have it under there. I bet the roof rack will stop loosening as well. Have you tried nylock nuts on the basket?

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2019 11:07 am 
Forum User

Ripper wrote:
Did you get an alignment after the new tires? Do you have cam bolts?

The factory rack is rated for 250lbs. Not for nothing, but it may be the quality of the rack and the accessory mounts. Put the spare back underneath. I ran mine under there until I had the cash for a rear bumper. It’s not a big deal to have it under there. I bet the roof rack will stop loosening as well. Have you tried nylock nuts on the basket?
After the lift was installed, I brought it to a real alignment shop, they didn't need to adjust anything. Said it was near perfect. "Lucked out on that one". As for the rack, it's a cheapo one till I can get a Gobi or something better. I got some 2-1/2" u-bolts, added some 3/8 id rubber hose to them, and clamped the rack to the existing rack. Worked out to my advantage, no more shiffting around. Even the 4 clamps that came with the rack are good, but apparently just needed a little extra support. I put the tire back up and double ratcheted it down. Seems to be working out.