It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 1:11 pm

Post subject: Mod Advice for Noob
PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2016 2:39 pm 
Supporting Member

So I checked through the boards because I didn't want to be ask something that been asked million times, but I didn't see this and hope you guys can help a Noob out.

So I just join the club and bought a 2012 Pro4-X and I am starting to think about doing some MODS before hitting the trails and was curious if there are certain ones you should do first.

My game plan was to always keep a budget for tires when needed since that the best improvement you can make at anytime.( I am current sporting the Factory BFG RuggedTrails) So I wanted to start with armor, I figured the best first MOD would be to replace the sliders and then start replacing the factory skid plates. Then move onto the large MODS like front and rear bumper, lift, steering and the like.

Is this a solid plan or should I focus on something else. I heard the sliders take the most beating, but again being a Noob to the sport I would seek some advice from the pro's!

Any thought would be great! Appreciate your time.

Michael

Post subject: Re: Mod Advice for Noob
PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2016 4:08 pm 
Club Vice President

I like your thought process.

Skids, sliders, tires+lift, front bumper, winch - is how I like to do it. Upsizing tires might require a lift first.

My advice would be to wheel the truck as much as you can before making major mods. That will help you decide the order in which to mod & what's essential vs nice to have.

Along the way you should also collect recovery gear & a CB radio.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2016 4:57 pm 
Club President

With a second gen, you can upsize to a 33" tire without a lift; you just need to do the "melt mod", which is basically heating up the inner fender liner on the front wheel wells, and flattening out the bumps that lie just behind the wheel.

Sliders and armor are a good starting point. Sliders are good protection for the rocker panels, but just because you have them doesn't mean you should aim for each and every rock and smack the sliders against them. I've seen many people over the years come crashing down on rocks or stumps with a loud bang that makes me cringe, and their attitude was, "Eh, I've got skidplates/sliders.

As long as you learn the vehicle while stock, listen to your spotters, watch and observe others, and pick the right lines, you won't be "beating" them up as much as you think.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2016 5:36 pm 
Forum User

Here's the path I took:

-Engine skid
-Rad skid
-Sliders
-Lift
-Rear tire carrier
-Tires
-Front bumper

In the early days I got hung up a fair amount (stock SE tires are even smaller than the 265s on the S trim) but I had plenty of armor to keep my bits in order, and being lower than most you learn to be a little more strategic with obstacles. I figured my stock tires were perfectly good for 90% of my needs and I would hold out as long as I could on them. Lift helped me a bit, basically stopped all the scraping noises coming from the bottom. When I started noticing chunks missing from the sidewalls, I finally went to 285s. IMO, tires are a great start but if you only have those and nothing else, you can get into bigger trouble faster, so my first investments were in protection before performance. These days the only problem I encounter is traction because I don't have any lockers (just need to air down more and not be afraid of the skinny pedal sometimes). I have plans to lift higher, but it's not a priority for most of the stuff that I encounter.

›»»»›‹«««‹

PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2016 6:33 pm 
Supporting Member

Thanks so much everyone just what I wanted some sound advice from the pros. I like the idea of really learning the stock and then making the mods as I develope as a driver . Really appreciate the advice !
:naner2:

PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2016 8:59 am 
Supporting Member

Super Stoked just order my first MODS :2712:

Doing the Rad skid, the Engine Skid and Read diff cover - Ordered from Schrockworks today! Next round will be the transfer, transmission and gas tank!

Then the belly of the beast will be ready to go. Rockers next!

Did anyone have issue with leakage with the rear diff cover?

PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2016 9:06 am 
Club President

Bear wrote:

The stock cover? I had some due to hitting it against some rocks, but I've since added on the Shrock diff cover for reinforcement.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2016 9:42 am 
Supporting Member

MtDewMike wrote:
Bear wrote:

The stock cover? I had some due to hitting it against some rocks, but I've since added on the Shrock diff cover for reinforcement.

Not leaking now, I just read when you put on the Schrockwork cover over the factor when you take the 8 bolts out you may crack the seal, not sure if I should expect that? Seem like your your install actually solved the slight leakage you had?

PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2016 11:17 am 
Club President

When you install the Shrock cover, you'll want to take off the diff cover, drain the diff fluid, clean the inside of the stock diff cover and remove all bits of the stock seal. You can then use RTV sealant to make a new gasket when putting the cover and skid plate on. Once sealed, refill with new fluid.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2016 12:45 pm 
Supporting Member

Thanks a million Mike, seems pretty straight forward.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2016 1:57 pm 
Forum User

Ironically, I think I have a slow leak with my Shrock cover. I'm gonna blame Curt for that one, he laid down the RTV while I had the cover in my hands...

›»»»›‹«««‹

PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2016 7:11 am 
Noob

Fwiw I did not remove the stock cover when I installed my shock diff cover. Just removed the bolts that were necessary and installed the cover. I did have everything on hand to do it right but I didn't have any seepage with the bolts removed so I took a chance. It's been about a year since that was installed and no leaks.