It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 7:00 pm

Post subject: Noob lift question
PostPosted: Sat Nov 21, 2015 7:14 pm 
Noob

Hey guys-
Ive got a 2011 Pro4x and am thinking about lifting it. I have read up on thenewx and some other sites and have come to the conclusion of doing front 2 inch spacers and the deaver aal in back. Do you guys recommend that? PRG or Nissetec?
Also, will the truck look dumb with a lift and the stock 32s? I want to get 33s soon so is it worth the wait to do it all at once? I'm new to this stuff and want to get into the offroading scene a bit more.
Thanks

Post subject: Re: Noob lift question
PostPosted: Sat Nov 21, 2015 7:49 pm 
Events Committee Member

Sounds good :thumbup:
I know that both have been used on 2nd gens.
I'm sure that someone will chime in soon.
also check the 2nd gen thread here.
it will look a lot different but shouldn't look to crazy.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 21, 2015 9:03 pm 
Forum User

The basic spacer/AAL lifts for PRG and nisstec are both great.

A 2" in lift doesn't look terrible with 32s but beauty is in the eye of the beholder right....

Spacer and AAL is a great basic lift, but Id review the old man emu setup too.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 23, 2015 6:20 pm 
Noob

So I think I've narrowed it down to this:
http://www.nissteclifts.com/index.php?p ... &Itemid=72

I read it wont void warranty unless it causes the problem. Does it effect on road handling negatively? The truck is a bit tippy as is and does the lift make it worse? I understand it wont nosedive as much which is a positive though.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 23, 2015 11:01 pm 
Club Vice President

Anytime you mess with the the suspension, the driving dynamics will change. If it already feels tippy, it probably will feel more so with a suspension lift.
My Xterra & my Jeep both felt different from stock after lifts. But it's just a matter of getting used to the feel & changing your driving style a bit.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Mon Nov 23, 2015 11:39 pm 
Forum User

Well, you're still riding more or less on stock springs. Rears will be a tad stiffer with the AAL, but that will settle.

I'm currently running full Old Man Emu Medium Duty complete with leaf packs, augmented with adjustable rear shackles. Truck rode amazingly after the initial install. It's getting a bit rougher, but I have far more stuff on it as well. Rears are still great and I'll be keeping them as long as they last - I snipped off my rear sway bar and haven't noticed the difference. My lift looked ridiculous, as the 2010 SE comes with 30.5" tires. 285s filled it nicely.

Now, while you're sourcing lifts, keep in mind that you should probably buy new LCAs and cam bolts in case you have to cut yours off (90% of us do). That being the case, you'll also want to rent a ball joint puller or have a heavy hammer handy.

›»»»›‹«««‹

PostPosted: Tue Nov 24, 2015 5:15 pm 
Noob

How about using either of these (I might do a bumper in the future so maybe the HD Version)
http://nissteclifts.com/index.php?page= ... &Itemid=72
http://nissteclifts.com/index.php?page= ... &Itemid=72

Would adding stiffer springs essentially do the same as the spacer? Would there be benefits to either the spring or spacer?

PostPosted: Wed Nov 25, 2015 1:14 pm 
Supporting Member

Springs are not the same as spacers. Springs will change the ride. I would not personally recommend a spring change without the a matching shock change.

If I were you, I would do the "on top of coil" spacer lift with an AAL as you first suggested. It is easy to remove if you hate it and it a very low upfront cost. Plus you can sell them pretty quickly on the forums. Then, if it ignites your addiction to modifying the X, I would read as much as you can about the options and opinions on the available lifts because they are all a bit different and depending on your personal goals and tastes, you may decide on a different path.

I think the PRG kit is better then the Nisstec kit only because of the AAL. PRG is sometimes slow to ship and can be hard to reach, though.

If you are ready to part with a bit more coin, the OME, PRG Advanced, Nisstec MK84 Extended Travel, or NissTec Radflo Extended Travel Ultimate Kit are all great kits and it is hard to go wrong. The only caution I have is that a 2011s rear springs are probably starting to sag so an AAL might not work as well as you expect. Read up cause I am just some crazy guy on the internet... :D