It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 11:55 am

Post subject: Modification Schedule
PostPosted: Sat Jun 08, 2013 9:54 pm 
Noob

So I've spent the last couple days buried in the forum posts, and I've found a lot of good stuff! I just figured I'd chim in and see what the more experienced people have to say. I just bought my 02 SE, and I'm looking to make it a moderately capable off road machine. I don't want to get too hard core, because I commute with the thing 50 minutes each way a day and I want to keep gas consumption to a minimum (poor college student and all that :| ).

Does anyone have an opinion about what should be done to the thing, and in what order? I'd imagine armor then wheels/tires, then lifting, but that creates the problem I've seen on other posts with armor needed modding for lift. I'd like to do a 2" BL, with maybe a small SL later on, depending on how things go.

I appreciate the help! I've only been out a few times, but it's a lot of fun, and I want to do it right!

Cheers!

Post subject: Re: Modification Schedule
PostPosted: Sat Jun 08, 2013 10:49 pm 
Forum User

Suspension lift will do more for wheeling than a body lift (which is typically done for looks, but also to fit larger tires). The SL will elevate your frame, giving you more clearance. Bigger tires will get your axles up higher.

The first thing I did was armor up, because the mod list will get more expensive if you bust something important.

›»»»›‹«««‹

PostPosted: Sun Jun 09, 2013 6:22 am 
Club President

Ryley, one of the quickest, cheapest lifts for the first gens is the PML - Poor Man's Lift. It consists of either getting a set of shackles or AAL's (add-a-leafs) for the rear, and then cranking up the torsion bars in the front. This will give you approx. 1.5" of lift, which may not sound like much, but will help fit a 32" (265/75/16). You can also fit a 275/70/16 - that's what I had done on my '02 years ago.

If you're looking to fit 33's (285/75/16), then a PML and a body lift should do the trick.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 09, 2013 7:16 am 
Noob

Mike,

Does the PML have any negative effects in the form of decreasing the reliability of the suspension ect? Would the 32's fit under with no other trimming?

PostPosted: Mon Jun 10, 2013 9:47 am 
Club President

11GTCS wrote:
Mike,

Does the PML have any negative effects in the form of decreasing the reliability of the suspension ect? Would the 32's fit under with no other trimming?

No, the PML shouldn't have any negative effects. And with that lift, I don't remember having to trim anything in order to fit the 32's.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 10, 2013 9:54 am 
Noob

Thanks Mike! I'll have to get the parts and find someone willing to help me with the modifications.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 10, 2013 12:49 pm 
Club Vice President

That's pretty much how I started & mostly the same setup I have now. 32's fit with no issues. Do the PML first & then get skids & sliders. Throw in an idler arm brace to that setup as well, helps adds some strength to the steering.

After that look to add better tires (ATs or MTs), upper control arms, stiffer torsion bars, stronger steering (I've been told this is the weakest part of the 1st gen), shocks, bumpers, etc..

Unfortunately the 1st gens aren't very good on fuel, the more stuff you add on, the worse it gets.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 10, 2013 12:58 pm 
Noob

Dirtysocks, what about the steering is prone to failure? Thanks for the help!

PostPosted: Mon Jun 10, 2013 1:47 pm 
Forum User

I have a 1st gen and did a suspension lift first. If I could do it over again I'd start in a different order. Definitely go with sliders and skid plates. Then go with a body lift. You'll see that all this is going to add up. If you do a suspension lift it will cost you around $1,000-1,200. A body lift is about $250-300. Like I said, do skids and sliders first. So, skids, sliders, body lift, 32" tires. Start wheeling with that and get comfortable with your truck before you start messing with everything else. My steering has been fine, and I do beat on my truck pretty good. Just check your truck after the trip and make adjustments/fixes as necessary. Good luck! If you need any other help or opinions give me a shout

PostPosted: Mon Jun 10, 2013 4:05 pm 
Club Vice President

For the basic, PML, all you really need is this: Rear Shackles - $65 - https://www.4x4parts.com/nissan/xterra- ... p-145.html. Then crank up the torsion bars & then get an alignment. With this setup, you can fit 32" tires. Oh & get rid of the rear sway bar, you don't need it nor will you miss it. A true susupension lift will cost a lot more as Jesse said.... save up for a future upgrade.

I'm on the fence about body lifts though. The pucks & bolts for the body lift may be inexpensive but the it takes a whole lot longer to do than the PML.

Skids & sliders are awesome since they give you confidence besides protecting the vulnerable parts.

I'm still running with my stock steering... with just the addition of a idler arm brace & new bushings. But I've seen folks destroy TRE's & heard of the stock centerlink going. The best advice I've been given in regards to beefing up the steering is to get the brace & then repalce the other steering components as they break/wear out.

-Suresh

PostPosted: Mon Jun 10, 2013 6:01 pm 
Forum User

I'd listen to Mike and Suresh about the PML. Since I have never done it I cannot offer as much insight and advice as they can. And good call Suresh, I was just thinking about the rear sway bar. Also, if you haven't done it already, get rid of the mud flaps and step rails (these will just get in the way, and break easy). There are also alot of free mods you can do as well. I'm saving up to do a SAS hopefully this winter, which gets rid of all my suspension components for the IFS. If it goes through I'll post about it here as I have a 3" suspension lift and will be getting rid of it. Ill let you scoop it for borderline free if you just want to beat on it and save up for a new lift. Just save your money for the mean time and as you wheel you will learn what you do and do not need. Any other questions just post up, all of us started where you are at and have learned along the way. We'll help you out

PostPosted: Mon Jun 10, 2013 6:10 pm 
Noob

Thanks everyone! I think I'd like to do the PML, some new wheels and tires, then armor (in no particular order, if I can get a deal on armor or wheels or something. I might just save all the parts and do a big day later in the summer. I live with my folks right now and they have a gravel drive and my tool inventory is limited.... if I hit up the forum could I get someone or a group of someones to help me? I'd be happy to chip in bucks or cold one's or whatever, I could just use an experienced eye and some level pavement haha

PostPosted: Mon Jun 10, 2013 6:24 pm 
Forum User

I hear you. I live in a condo and have a box of tools. Luckily I know some well equipped people haha. There is a section in the forum called "Mod Days". Post up in there about what you would like to accomplish and your location. This will help you find people close and all partie involved will have help working on each others trucks. Also include what tools you have, and if there will be beers. I don't care what anyone says, everyone will work for some beers. Haha

PostPosted: Tue Jun 11, 2013 7:39 am 
Supporting Member

If you gona do SL later think about 33's instead. Tires will run u a cool G. Body lift w a PML and some slight fender modifications u can fit'em, for street driving at least. Id get lifted before gettin extras. Though if other items you need become available at a good price on the boards, always go for it. Some things are better to buy new, like body and suspension lifts. Armor, bumpers, and such jewelry is common and ok for second hand purchases. In my opinions...

PostPosted: Tue Jun 11, 2013 8:14 am 
Noob

BKxterra718 wrote:
If you gona do SL later think about 33's instead. Tires will run u a cool G. Body lift w a PML and some slight fender modifications u can fit'em, for street driving at least. Id get lifted before gettin extras. Though if other items you need become available at a good price on the boards, always go for it. Some things are better to buy new, like body and suspension lifts. Armor, bumpers, and such jewelry is common and ok for second hand purchases. In my opinions...

I don't think I'm going to get a SL proper anytime soon. Unless I get the off roading bug way worse than I have it now, my other hobbies (and my savings account, demand that I don't put that much into the car for the forseeable future. Just the cost of armor, a bumper, and whees+tires and the PML is gonna almost double my payment on the car!