It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 2:16 pm

Post subject: Changing to manual hubs
PostPosted: Sun Jun 02, 2013 12:46 pm 
Forum User

So I had a mechanic friend help me out yesterday. He/we changed out all 4 ball joints, center link, and tie rod assemblies. Upgraded to Moog greaseable ball joints, Moog center link, Deeza TRE's and AC's HD TRA's. Also swapped out wheel studs and lug nuts. Drives like a whole new truck!

But I digress...

In the process, I found that both my auto hubs are broken. The splined ring in both hubs is cracked into 2 pieces, but they're still intact in that they don't fall out of place. Pretty sure I know the answer, but just to clarify:

I can drive 2wd without worry, but shouldn't engage 4wd, right?

Also, what do you guys recommend for manual hubs? I've read more bad than good experiences with Mile Marker hubs. I've read Warn hubs are good/great, but that you shouldn't use the studs and should instead replace them with bolts like on the OE units.

What other options are there? I see CourtesyParts carries these manual hubs ( http://www.courtesyparts.com/40250-hub- ... cPath=532& ), but I'm not sure if they're any stronger than an aftermarket application would be.

I know a few guys run manual hubs from a '93-'94 Hardbody, but they're hard to find, and I'm not feeling up to the task of a wild goose chase; so I'm dismissing this as an option.

What are you opinions on this?

Post subject: Re: Changing to manual hubs
PostPosted: Sun Jun 02, 2013 1:23 pm 
Global Moderator

IMHO if you can't find the hardbody ones stick with the OEM autos.
I wouldn't try 4wd with your broken ones, I think they would lock up ok but would not unlock leaving your axles turning even in 2wd.

Post subject: Re: Changing to manual hubs
PostPosted: Sun Jun 02, 2013 2:55 pm 
Forum User

I second what Tom said - go with the old hardbody hubs. It looks like they are still available (but not cheap). Check courtesy nissan, check for hardbody front axel, and drill down to the part. I think it is part no. 40250-D21007 or 40250 on the diagram. They are, however, the most bullet-proof hub for the first gen.

Stay away from from the Warn hubs. I had nothing but problems with them. The studs they supply you with are crap - broke even before reaching the torque spec. Switched to metric grade 10.9 (and later 12.9) bolts, but the hub kept shearing the bolts (three times it broke all the bolts on a given wheel). The hub interior springs were rusting. Finally, if you crack the outer cap portion you are SOL, although all you need is new outer cap they don't sell them separately (you have to buy a whole new hub, and good luck finding a place that will sell only one and not just pairs). I ended up dumping the Warns for a set of hardbody hubs, and all my hub troubles stopped.

k_enn