It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 2:55 pm

Post subject: Upgrade to Exhaust?
PostPosted: Wed Oct 18, 2023 1:16 pm 
Supporting Member

Hello Folks - Hope the worlds been kind to you ya'll.

So one of my cats went last year @ about 126k and I am sure that means the other 3 will need replacing soon. SO I think this would be a good time to upgrade the full system and I am looking for any recommendations.

To replace the full system at dealer with OEM parts - $8,000 - Ha, yeah right!

So after some research I found a nice catback at Z1: https://www.z1offroad.com/z1-products/z ... gIuAvD_BwE

Plus a cat set at 1A Auto - https://www.1aauto.com/nissan-suzuki-fr ... gK2QfD_BwE

I am sure I will have to replace all the sensors so let figure 3-400 for those. ( recommendations on aftermarket O2?)

Thoughts? I think most of this is bolt on but maybe best option is to have someone install.

Anyway - any thoughts are always appreciated

Be Safe

Bear

Post subject: Re: Upgrade to Exhaust?
PostPosted: Sat Oct 21, 2023 7:38 am 
Club President

I know some of the guys on here have a catback system, but not me. I've had to replace the CAT's as laws are different here in MA. I've got the Flowmaster Super 40 for a muffler. It's got a nice growl to it.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 21, 2023 10:43 pm 
Club Secretary

Things I’ve learned about the 2nd Gen X exhaust.

Use only Nissan sensors. Either get them right from Nissan or see what brand the OEM sensors for your year are and get them from Rockauto. If I remember, some of them are Denso and some are Bosch. I can’t remember what years are which brand tho.

Use only Nissan flange gaskets. They are multi piece stainless gaskets. The pressed fiber ones from the auto parts stores don’t last very long.

Use only Nissan primary cats. Even low mileage take offs are better than new aftermarket. The precious metal content in the OEM cats is much higher than the aftermarket ones. You will spend 1/2 the money for 1/4 of the quality. I haven’t heard of them lasting very long, maybe 40k miles before they’re throwing inefficiency codes again. They’re so bad the metal scrap yards don’t even want the aftermarket cats.

Secondary cats are unmonitored. You may as well hollow them out. All they do is add backpressure and provide the bung for the downstream sensors. Even Nissan’s parts website just calls them a ‘pipe’.

Pretty much any sensor for these trucks has to be OEM Nissan. The more loose tolerances of the aftermarket doesn’t play nice with these vehicles. It goes the same with parts like the cats, fan clutch, wheel bearings and the like.

I’ve heard more often than not that people try to save a couple $$ and get the cheap sensors or parts, and end up just biting the bullet shortly after and getting OEM after all. And they’re out the money they spent on lower quality parts and time they spent doing it twice, or paying someone else to do it a second time.

I’ve also heard of some that roll the dice and get lucky but it happens far less often. Or they’re embarrassed and not telling the truth about having to redo their work.

Edit:
I know I said ‘I heard’ a lot in this post. But some is also from personal experience.

My X. http://www.nexterra.org/forums/viewtopi ... =71&t=9534

PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2023 6:29 pm 
Supporting Member

Thanks guys gonna have to do some more research appreciate the info Mike n John!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk