It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:30 am

Post subject: Question for the group.
PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2019 6:26 pm 
Forum User

So, not that I'm entirely irritated, but I've noticed through facebook, that there are more jeep clubs wheeling NEAs properties and permissioned properties. Seems NEXterra sticks to GG. In not sure if this group has died down over the years or the jeeps just stick to there own. The last NEA meeting in Gardner was great, got to go with Murphy and a bunch of jeeps to Brookridge. But I want to get involved in more events and open runs. Pennsylvania is something some of you look forward all year. Not in my budget to travel 5 hours as fun as it sounds. I'm guessing Suresh might know where I'm heading with this lol. As much as I love the performance of my Xterra, it might be time to start looking at a jeep. So my question is why are we so secluded to only go to gg? What properties do the NEA own? Why are we not wheeling multiple locations, as the jeeps are? Be nice to find a multiple rig club, like the old days.

Sent from my VS990 using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2019 11:04 pm 
Club Vice President

Jeep’s Rule! :-)

More seriously, Summit & MaBell coming up in June. We always have just a handful who run the harder side.

GG makes for very accessible wheeling, specially for the more stocker rigs. Most of the other properties are harder & that makes it difficult to cater to a large number of varying difficulties. We have always been a welcoming group for new wheelers & want to stay that way, which means we have to worry about our newer folks. A small, modified group is a lot easier to run if you don’t care about the stock folks.

We need more Xterras to run the other NEA properties & give us feedback (suitability for stock runs, do you agree with the trail rating, etc). The NEA wheeling for acreage event in June let’s you choose from a variety of available NEA properties. I’ll be very interested in you feedback if you run one of them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2019 11:07 pm 
Club Vice President

What was your opinion of Brookridge? Would you wheel it?

Post subject: Re: Question for the group.
PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2019 11:18 pm 
Forum User

DirtySocks wrote:
What was your opinion of Brookridge? Would you wheel it?

I did run brookridge, there idea of greens are our blues and blacks. It was very challenging, Ecspecially in the snow. But I'd do it again.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2019 5:59 am 
Club Secretary

I have heard feedback on GG from some of the NEA4WD other clubs’ guys. Pretty much, they won’t run GG. Because it’s such a green property. It’s not worth their time to travel there for ‘a half dozen obstacles, connected by dirt roads’.

It’s not that any Xterra couldn’t run the other NEA4WD properties, it’s that a stock Xterra couldn’t run them. Speaking of only the northern half of Nexterra (because I don’t know much about the New York/Pennsylvania side of the club) there are only a handful of rigs that could run those properties.

My take on those other properties rating system is that they’re based on a stock Rubicon. I can’t remember if they come with 33’s or 32’s, but they have MT tires, 4.10 axles, 4:10 4lo gearing, and locked front and rear, not to mention the solid front axle. From the dealer they are more capable than the vast majority of the Xterra’s in our club.

Do what you would like with your X, but I like keeping up with the Jeep guys. Seeing the look on their face when the X breaks apart their stereotype on non-jeeps. Or even scramble for an excuse for why the X crushed an obstacle they just got hung up on repeatedly. Let them have their goofy wave. Let them have their elitist attitude. I have no regrets choosing an Xterra.

Now, with all that being said, if you come across a ‘79 Waggoner, I have no judgement. That’s when Jeeps were JEEPS. That will always be my dream rig.

My X. http://www.nexterra.org/forums/viewtopi ... =71&t=9534

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2019 7:27 am 
Supporting Member

murphy wrote:

Now, with all that being said, if you come across a ‘79 Waggoner, I have no judgement. That’s when Jeeps were JEEPS. That will always be my dream rig.

'87 YJ with the AMC carbureted 6 cylinder. Had it. Sold it. Want it back.

There are some trails at Ma Belle that Xterras can run, right?

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2019 8:33 am 
Forum User

murphy wrote:
I have heard feedback on GG from some of the NEA4WD other clubs’ guys. Pretty much, they won’t run GG. Because it’s such a green property. It’s not worth their time to travel there for ‘a half dozen obstacles, connected by dirt roads’.

It’s not that any Xterra couldn’t run the other NEA4WD properties, it’s that a stock Xterra couldn’t run them. Speaking of only the northern half of Nexterra (because I don’t know much about the New York/Pennsylvania side of the club) there are only a handful of rigs that could run those properties.

My take on those other properties rating system is that they’re based on a stock Rubicon. I can’t remember if they come with 33’s or 32’s, but they have MT tires, 4.10 axles, 4:10 4lo gearing, and locked front and rear, not to mention the solid front axle. From the dealer they are more capable than the vast majority of the Xterra’s in our club.

Do what you would like with your X, but I like keeping up with the Jeep guys. Seeing the look on their face when the X breaks apart their stereotype on non-jeeps. Or even scramble for an excuse for why the X crushed an obstacle they just got hung up on repeatedly. Let them have their goofy wave. Let them have their elitist attitude. I have no regrets choosing an Xterra.

Now I understand about other properties. Thanks Murphy and Suresh. I have to say, between brookridge and where I go in Huntington ma, GGs green trails and even blues are of no contest to me. I can imagine the cappabilities most of the group has and enjoys a little more aggression. When I went to brookridge, there were jeeps that couldn't make it up trails without 5 tries, that Murphy and I breezed right through, and I'm open open. I know Xterra's are beasts, I love what I have. I'd love to have a titan swap on mine, but I can do allot more then I thought I could now.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2019 8:42 am 
Forum User

BostonX wrote:
murphy wrote:

'87 YJ with the AMC carbureted 6 cylinder. Had it. Sold it. Want it back.

There are some trails at Ma Belle that Xterras can run, right?
I have not been to ma bell yet, but I've seen stock Xterra's do stuff on YouTube vids that I can't believe. I think it's driver all the way. I have some public level 6 roads that get insanely difficult, like from green to blue to almost black. With miles and miles of fun. I started out stock on some of them. Now that I have full armor, 33s, and a good lift, it's so much easier.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2019 12:24 pm 
Club Vice President

The rig/mods help, but it’s the brain behind the wheel that makes a difference.

I wouldn’t necessarily dismiss GG as fully green until you have tried Diaper Hill, Sidewinder & at-least the front side of the ledge. There are a couple for crazy obstacles that I’ve only really seen Ernie do.

As you guys wheel more properties with the NEA or with other clubs, please post feedback. And if you’re running legal local events, post up in the local events section so others interested may join.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2019 12:27 pm 
Supporting Member

The underwater rock garden gave some of us some trouble.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2019 12:42 pm 
Forum User

DirtySocks wrote:
The rig/mods help, but it’s the brain behind the wheel that makes a difference.

I wouldn’t necessarily dismiss GG as fully green until you have tried Diaper Hill, Sidewinder & at-least the front side of the ledge. There are a couple for crazy obstacles that I’ve only really seen Ernie do.

As you guys wheel more properties with the NEA or with other clubs, please post feedback. And if you’re running legal local events, post up in the local events section so others interested may join.

There are a few hills at GG that I probably couldn't do, but I should really comment that, getting together with everyone is reward enough. The trails near my house are better run as a get together rather then an event. Though they are agressive public roads, I wouldn't want to upset the locals by inviting more then 5 for some wheeling. It's clean and groomed. I would hate for someone to jeopardise the freedom up there. Or locals to think the worst. From what I've learned, it use to house several jeep clubs back in the day, and now they are all older and have since put there toys away.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2019 10:43 pm 
Forum User

While the trails up in Huntington are a little more challenging, they aren’t that hard either. But they are still legal trails to run when trail time is needed. It’s why I only show people who I know I can trust, and don’t show many people. The issue is the town will notice very quickly even the slightest increase in traffic. The normal entrance in Russell was gated a few years ago due to people speeding up and down the road to the trail head and destruction the property around the Army Corps Of Engineers Damn. Asshats were posting videos of themselves tearing up the soft ground around the damn.

If we start bring more and more people up there and it gets shut down, we need to accept the fact that we are directly responsible for the loss of access.

Might be time for me to gather all the materials and do a Tread Lightly class one weekend before summer kicks into full haul.

Oh, Nick, MA Bell is ok, but The Summit is great. It’s very challenging and I’m looking forward to that run.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2019 5:12 pm 
Noob

As a fairly newbie, and minimally modded rig, I really enjoy the GG. I think it brings out a good mix of rigs and people. I can see how one would get bored, but it's a great place to learn your truck, learn how to make it thru obstacles and not feel the pressure of someone who has been doing it for years and years (even tho they are there and lending advice and support). I probably enjoy the camaraderie of other Xterra owners and such the most more than the wheeling. I'm not a Jeep person, never will but I get their "jeep thing" attitude. I get a bit excited when I see another X, especially one that's been modded.

I would definitely love to try somewhere else that is closer to stock friendly (need more skids first), but its tough getting a larger group of newbies or stock guys out on a trail. Everything takes a bit longer. Everyone has to be a bit more careful. Like it was said, most of it's the driver. I feel pretty confident in my driving abilities with obstacles and such. You can have the most modified rig out there but if the driver is a hammerhead or doesn't have a clue things aren't going to go well.

Just my thoughts.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Trimbrens
LED Interior

PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2019 5:20 pm 
Supporting Member

rock1620xterra wrote:
As a fairly newbie, and minimally modded rig, I really enjoy the GG. I think it brings out a good mix of rigs and people. I can see how one would get bored, but it's a great place to learn your truck, learn how to make it thru obstacles and not feel the pressure of someone who has been doing it for years and years (even tho they are there and lending advice and support). I probably enjoy the camaraderie of other Xterra owners and such the most more than the wheeling. I'm not a Jeep person, never will but I get their "jeep thing" attitude. I get a bit excited when I see another X, especially one that's been modded.

I would definitely love to try somewhere else that is closer to stock friendly (need more skids first), but its tough getting a larger group of newbies or stock guys out on a trail. Everything takes a bit longer. Everyone has to be a bit more careful. Like it was said, most of it's the driver. I feel pretty confident in my driving abilities with obstacles and such. You can have the most modified rig out there but if the driver is a hammerhead or doesn't have a clue things aren't going to go well.

Just my thoughts.

If there are enough stock / mildly modded rigs with interest, there's always Freetown.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2019 5:36 pm 
Noob

I've always wanted to make a Freetown run but my schedule never works out for it. It's only about 30 mins from me so its alot better than the 1.5 hours to GG.

Trimbrens
LED Interior