It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 3:35 pm

Post subject: Been a Little Busy
PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2018 11:45 am 
Supporting Member

Hey Guys

Haven't been on the boards for a while, thought I'd drop by and say hi. Hope April Fools was great.

Major changes for my X. First of all, the squeak I've had since Toys for Tots is finally gone! It was not sway bar bushings, UCA, hood latch, or body mounts. It was, in fact, the struts. Which was actually somewhat fortuitous seeing as my OME 2" lift had just arrived. So that got installed and she's standing a bit taller now. (Side Note: Opinions on Xterra Crew are divided on whether or not I should replace my UCAs to avoid bucket contact. Thoughts?)

Also armoring up. My White Knuckle sliders are in the garage getting painted, the primer is already down. And I'm picking up a used HC rear bumper with hi-lift and tire carrier from user maross today!

So now that i'm utterly broke...what's new with you guys!?!?

Post subject: Re: Been a Little Busy
PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2018 2:28 pm 
Noob

HA!! I have a squeak sound since a few days before April fools run, hmm ill check the struts while I'm checking other things too, i know i am doing my sway bar links and few other things anyways but ill at check them too...

my 2 cents.... do the UCAs better to do it and not have to worry about it then not do it and well clunk..

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2018 2:30 pm 
Supporting Member

ErikaJayneX wrote:
HA!! I have a squeak sound since a few days before April fools run, hmm ill check the struts while I'm checking other things too, i know i am doing my sway bar links and few other things anyways but ill at check them too...

my 2 cents.... do the UCAs better to do it and not have to worry about it then not do it and well clunk..

But is it really necessary when I'm almost always highway driving and my offroad is sand, not rocks and pits?

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2018 5:31 pm 
Club President

You'll always have the potholes to deal with. I'm sure you'll have coil bucket contact with those.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2018 7:24 pm 
Club Secretary

OME’s are designed to work with stock components. There is no need to buy aftermarket UCA’s unless you want to add a spacer on top for more lift.

My X. http://www.nexterra.org/forums/viewtopi ... =71&t=9534

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2018 9:15 am 
Supporting Member

murphy wrote:
OME’s are designed to work with stock components. There is no need to buy aftermarket UCA’s unless you want to add a spacer on top for more lift.

See, this is what Nisstec told me. I wouldn't be so concerned if it was just the sound but I'd have to think a ripped boot could cause a pretty bad failure.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2018 3:47 pm 
Club Secretary

You wouldn’t be hitting the boot anyway. The metal of the arm hits the metal of the coil bucket.

You hear about needing the coil bucket ground down for SPC arms because of the way the ball joint is located. It swings past the coil bucket before the arm. Stock arms have the ball joint in line, so the arm hits the curve of the coil bucket first. If that makes sense.

Test it out. Hit some speed bumps square and at speed. Maybe 10-15mph. Come at it square so the sway bar won’t limit the travel of one or the other wheel. (If you still have it on) Coming off the back of the bump is when you would hear it.

My X. http://www.nexterra.org/forums/viewtopi ... =71&t=9534

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2018 4:03 pm 
Supporting Member

murphy wrote:
You wouldn’t be hitting the boot anyway. The metal of the arm hits the metal of the coil bucket.

You hear about needing the coil bucket ground down for SPC arms because of the way the ball joint is located. It swings past the coil bucket before the arm. Stock arms have the ball joint in line, so the arm hits the curve of the coil bucket first. If that makes sense.

Test it out. Hit some speed bumps square and at speed. Maybe 10-15mph. Come at it square so the sway bar won’t limit the travel of one or the other wheel. (If you still have it on) Coming off the back of the bump is when you would hear it.

Always a wealth of knowledge!!