It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 12:00 pm

Post subject: Re: How did you get involved with Xterras?
PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2012 5:24 pm 
Forum User

Well my first car was Buick century. It was like driving a boat..when it ran. It always broke down an found myself pushing it everywhere. I sold that and got a corolla sport which I loved. Went fast, did some nice drifting. But in winter it was garbage. I could never stop, go and found myself sliding around everytime I drove. I always loved the off road scene as I've been offroading with my friends all through high school. After my father passed away in december 2010 I started looking at new vehicles. I wanted something not alot of people had so I looked at xterras. The looks were gorgeous and the reviews said it handled really well off road. I started researching online and saw everything you could do to the xterra, lifts armor and such. I made the plunge and got a 2004 Nissan xterra with 43,000. I love this truck an I will never get rid of it. I found this club in may and I joined right away. Amazing vehicle, amazing club, and great people. What could be better

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2012 10:16 pm 
Forum User

Well my first car was an 01 Mustang V6. I had a ball in that car and it never failed me after beating the living crap out of it throughout my senior year in high school. As I entered my first year in college driving that Mustang was just getting old, it felt to boyish for me and I decided it was time to move on.

Fast forward to January of 2011 I was looking at what SUV's or Trucks I could get because I loved off-roading. My choices came down to a Tacoma or the X. I alwayds had a thing for the Xterra and after seeing way to many Tacoma's on the road and the high price tag on them the X was a clear choice it was just want I wanted. After seeing the rigs thenewX.org I fell for the X even more.

As I began my second semester at URI I pulled my housing to live with close family friends in Newport, RI. I received a good amount of cash back and saved it knowing I was buying the Xterra as soon as the semester ended. I know this may not have been the smartest thing to do but you only live once and I wanted the X so bad.

When the semester ended I headed back to Lincoln and one of my old high school buddies committed to buying my Mustang off of me. So I was scrambling looking for Xterra's and then one day I logged onto thenewX and there was a posting for an 05 X Off-Road Knight Armor 6-speed w/ 96K for 9.5k right in Boston. I instantly PM'd him and found the ad on criagslist also. Within two days I drove up to Boston. Arriving I knew it was mine, it was everything I wanted including the color and the package. She was a 1 Owner and the previous owner treated her well. So I put a $500 deposit down. I talked the guy down to $8500 because I brought up the clutch probably being almost gone.

I took the Xterra into my hands on June 1st, 2011. It was my first manual car so I learned on the beat up clutch and eventually burnt it out 3 weeks later. All in all everything fell into the right place at the right time for me. Although I did want a little less miles on it, it was everything I wanted for about 6k less than a dealer would have charged me for a true OR w/ 80k. Plus miles doesn't mean a lot as long as you keep up with your maintenance. I can tell you I will own this truck forever.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2012 4:53 pm 
Forum User

Here's my story....
In Sept 08 I had a 99 Dodge P/U, on the way back from an awesome camping trip from the Cape I noticed that the truck was making some odd noises and had a wierd vibe. After I unpacked and and all the BS, a couple days later I looked under the truck to discover the transfer case house was cracked in several places. This was second time this happened (never once wheeled the damn thing either). So instead of fixing it I decided to trade it in because it had about 145k on it and it was paid for.

A coworker of mine had opened up a dealership with his son and suggested I come over and take a look at what they have and assured me they would give me a deal. I told them I really wanted a Frontier and they said they have none on the lot but to take a look with him after our shift ended at 0800. We took the drive over and I keyed in on a 2007 H3. I took it for a test drive and didnt care for the lack of power or how I couldnt see out to well. Once we started the paperwork I didnt care for the monthley payment either. So I took a look around the lot again and decided to take the Xterra for a test drive. Now I wanted one when they were initially released in 2000 but drove a 1st Gen on a test drive in 05 and hated it! Well this time I hadnt even made it off the lot and knew it was for me!

I couldnt finalize the paperwork because, it was about 8pm and I had to wait to the next day. I immediately went home and started searching for forums as Im big into shooting sports and very active on a couple of boards for that.

I landed at ClubX and instantly knew I was in trouble because of all the mods I could do. I never really posted a lot because I was doing a lot of reading and some one suggested TheNewX.org to me and then the addiction began. It really came full swing when I went to the local dealership to pick up a rear wiper and there was a 07 Night Armor lifted with front and rear Shrock bumpers, sloders and a full set of skids. I was pumped to actually see a outfutted X. After I bought my wiper I asked whos X it was and the parts guys introduced me to a sales/finance guy named Joe. I ended up buying some parts from him and by Nov of that year I had done a basic lift on my X and bought some 285's. Went wheeling for the first time with Joe as he lives to wheel. After that I was hooked!

Now its 2012 I am ever deeper into modding my truck, Joe is on his third X since I have known him (2012 Metallic Blue Pro 4X), and he is one of my best friends, I pretty much hang out with him everyday, and we are going to GONEMoab this Spring. I have met some great people and had some of the best times with the peole I have met through the boards. My girlfriend and I have become extremely close to each other because of all the trips we have taken together in the X and I cannot wait for GONE as she will be my copilot. I am looking forward to many years to come.

Thanks to everyone who has helped or wheeled with me along the way.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2012 7:16 pm 
Forum User

I've always liked them since Nissan put them on the road. But I had a '93 Path that I've been driving since '96. I never had the funds to look into buying an Xterra. My Pathfinder was pretty much on it's deathbead. The rear chassis was like swiss cheese and I couldn't risk driving it anymore.

I've been shopping around for an Xterra for the past 2-3yrs. More aggressively as the Pathy was just slowly falling apart on me. In June of 2011 I found a Silver '02 XEV6 for sale. It had 104k miles on it, pretty decent condition. Few blemishes here and there, but on an X it showed character (even though I didn't put the dings there). The seller was asking $6,500. I countered with $5,500 to be fair because I knew these vehicles were running around $6,000 - $8,000 and with miles over 130k. I got it for $5,400. I didn't notice the rear carpet in the cargo area was splashed with bleach and was somewhat deteriorated in the upper corner. I spent $1,400 on two new tires, an alignment and ball joint replacement.

I joined the forums to find out more about the FirstGens, Pros/Cons, what to keep an eye on, what NEEDS to be replaced, and the How-Tos are FANTASTIC!!! I like to go camping with my son(s). My oldest boy is 8 and we've gone to several Cub/Parent events, so he's now an "experienced camper". My youngest is 4, so I don't know how he would handle camping.

My vehicle is still running stock. I added a safari basket and carry my spare in it. I found trying to drop the spare from underneath was difficult. The holes didn't seem to line up right. After fighting with the tire for about 15mins, I decided to roof mount it. It's great when looking for it in a parking lot. I have a tow strap (w hooks... I know, no good). I added Molle seat covers like Tommy (Bklyn X). They just look bad ass. I removed and replaced the headliner myself so I could say, "Look what I did!!" I also replaced the timing belt, drive belts, water pump, and thermostat (with some help, but I did the majority of the work). I'm not a mechanic and don't claim to be. I can do SOME things on my own. Other things are out of my comfort zone, but I am willing to get my hands dirty if I have an experienced person on hand if I do something wrong.

I would love to do some mods on my vehicle, PML, shrock bumpers, sliders, etc. But $$$ is a factor. These extras are not cheap by any means. Being self employed and the economy still in the toilet, all funds go for family and bills and not toys. LOL

I hope to find some time to attend some of the runs and see some members out on the Tenderfoot trails.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2012 4:20 pm 
Forum User

Always wanted one when they first came out but couldn't afford a new one. My Oma gave me her '02 Toyota Avalon and I drove that for about a year. I was going through a divorce and say wth and traded the Avalon in on a '01 Xterra XE Blue. The color I wanted when I first saw them come out. Called the soon-to-be exwife that I traded the Avalon.

Got hooked up w/ VAXC club in Oct. '06 about a month after I bought the X. Drove it stock and hit some local trails (fire roads) till the spring of '07 when my gf (now wife) got me my 1st SL.

Well the rest is history and I love it!! Don't care how much I have spent on BlueX..she is worth it.

I met some great people over the years.

Tow Rig: '04 Chevy 2500 Crew Cab

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2012 5:17 pm 
Supporting Member

It came in Yellow!

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2013 4:45 pm 
Noob

I joined NEXterra back in the summer of 2000. If I can remember correctly, I was the 14th original member to join that year. I had a 2000 SE and did all the social trips the first few years....Mt Washington NH, The Winter X Games at Mt Snow Vt, various moderate offroading events....etc etc. Met alot of good people along the way and would always look forward to our gatherings. I had "Xterror" for 10 years (close to 200,000 miles) and eventually traded it for a Nissan Rogue Krom in 2010......as of last week, the Rogue is gone and I'm back in a X to which I have effectionally named "Xterror II". It would be nice to reconnect with some of the original members. :cheers:

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2013 5:53 pm 
Global Moderator

k_enn wrote:
...NJAX was one crazy bunch of MF's back in the day. Those NJAX parties at ECXC were legendary (who that was there will ever forget the milk crate - ...

:mrgreen:

PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2016 3:37 pm 
Global Moderator

Bah, seems as if my one time favorite Xterra site, Xterra Firma, has gone the way of NJAX, NIORA, NOR and the dodo.
We are getting thinned out yo….

PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2016 4:20 pm 
Club President

They didn't renew their domain?

Post subject: How did you get involved with Xterras?
PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2016 4:44 pm 
Global Moderator

Don't know what happened.
Went there to post a NER17 announcement and it's gone...
No heads up or nutin, kinda messed up seeing I had "mod" rights on the thing...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2016 8:13 pm 
Events Committee Member

Man that sucks.... :(

PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2016 2:29 pm 
Forum User

Bklyn.X wrote:
Bah, seems as if my one time favorite Xterra site, Xterra Firma, has gone the way of NJAX, NIORA, NOR and the dodo.
We are getting thinned out yo….

What a blast from the past:

NJAX
NIORA
NOR

I had forgotten about some of them. I have almost forgotten about Paragon.

k_enn

PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2016 3:53 pm 
Global Moderator

k_enn wrote:
... I have almost forgotten about Paragon.

Here's a little throw back for ya. "Spare Tire" at the old Paragon...

My last time there in March of 2007;

"Deer Run";

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2019 12:40 pm 
Global Moderator