It is currently Fri May 03, 2024 11:52 pm

Post subject: Dagger, The Economist: Why the Economy is Failing
PostPosted: Tue Mar 17, 2009 5:08 pm 
Supporting Member

When I can, I try to by locally and support local businesses. I do search on the internet and buy there, but I don't mind paying a little more to shop locally. Why do small businesses fail? It's not because of Wal-Mart or the internet, it's because people don't want your friggin' business and I'm about done.

Here, it's hard to find anything. Many of you know I live in a rural area, but it's not that small of a town (well, they call it a city). I often have to go to three different places to find standard nuts and bolts (literally).

Today I go to the local snowmobile dealer to buy some small parts. Four (specialized) small stainless bolts and nylock washers, two plastic caps and two 8oz bottles of Ski Doo chain case oil. I expect to pay top dollar for Ski Doo parts, but I got raped. He only had three of the bolts...it's a standard replacement item...I get the bill $62.96. I might have even been happy if he said let's make it an even $60. I check on line, I can get the same stuff for $38 plus shipping; it cost me more than shipping to drive the Xterra 28 miles to the shop and back.

Sore in the butt, I stop at a local trailer dealer to get some plastic molding. I had already checked online that I can get 50' of the stuff for $10 plus shipping. The guy in the shop seems bothered by my presence and curtly asks if he can help. I show him what I need and he says, "I don't have that." I ask, "Can you get it? Yea, he says, "It's like $1.65 a foot," not even checking and not even offering to order. "Sorry I took up so much of your time.

I then stop at Fastenall, a national retailer, for two hardened, stainless bolts. The girl behind the counter is hot, friendly, and helpful. I show her what I need (the bolts, I mean. Get you mind out of the gutter) she looks and can't find any, checks on the computer and says they will be here tomorrow. Total bill, $5.75. I'm happy.

So, why can't mom and pop store compete with large, retail chains? It's because they suck!

It's okay if a local business wants to rape me out of my wallet, but, please, do it with a smile.

Rant over!:twisted:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 17, 2009 6:57 pm 
Supporting Member

Scott I've had that happen to me as well and can totaly agree with what your saying.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2009 12:07 am 
Forum User

I can relate to these problems Scott. Sometimes I feel like there is no accountability in small businesses and that they don't operate under the motto that "the customer is our # 1 priority." It can be quite frustrating and I completely understand your rant. Point well taken.

2" B/L, 4.56 Gears, Titan Front Diff, ARB Rear Air Locker
PRG Titan UCAs, Radflo 2.5" Coilovers - 600lb
PRG Shackles, Radflo's 2.0 Emulsion Rears, Alcan Full Leaf Pack

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2009 12:16 am 
Global Moderator

I?ve been part of retail management for more than half my life. The past 20 plus years as a small retail business owner. I?m sorry to say that I am not surprised at your story. This is not a recent phenomenon but a systemic problem that has plagued not only ?mom & pop? stores but the entire retail industry since before the first wheel was sold. I think we just notice it more when things are tough and we have less patience for a job not done well.

One of the reasons I wanted my own, small business is that, for me, it is easier to handle problems like these on a smaller scale. It seems to me that the two places you visited are on their way out already.

The snowmobile dealer is not keeping up with the times. Like alot of car dealers he does not realize that for the next few years (at least) he cannot depend on the sales of new snowmobiles. He had better step up his parts and service end if he has any hope of surviving.

It sounds like you might have been dealing with someone who was not worried about losing his job at the trailer store. Most likely it was the owner?s son or relative; someone who has never had to go look for a job. That MF?er will be waking up soon because unless he?s planning on living off his daddy?s property he?ll be out on the street.

In NYC it works out to be the opposite. The large store sucks and the mom and pop place has what you want.
Near the garage where I work on my truck there are a Strauss Auto store, a Home Depot and Lowe?s. Not long ago I went to all three looking for a bolt that holds the rear shock. The one I had was bent. None of these places had the bolt. In desperation I tried the local hardware store around the corner where the owner (and only person working in the place at the time) pulled the exact bolt from one of hundreds of little metal drawers in the back of his store.

Retail has always been about surviving on a day to day basis. A retail business, small or large must be able to change; keep what works, discard what does not in order to met the needs of its customers. Properly training and managing your personal is a part of that ability to change. This is more important in times when the ?economy is failing?. You meet the needs of your customer or you don?t; you survive or you die. f@ck those two stores, they do not deserve your patronage, but are you going to give up on all local businesses because of their inaptitude. :?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2009 10:35 am 
Forum User

Well put Tom! Who knew a "no good New Yorker" could be so articulate!?! :)

See you on the trails sir.

2" B/L, 4.56 Gears, Titan Front Diff, ARB Rear Air Locker
PRG Titan UCAs, Radflo 2.5" Coilovers - 600lb
PRG Shackles, Radflo's 2.0 Emulsion Rears, Alcan Full Leaf Pack

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2009 11:28 am 
Forum User

The key to survival is service. Yes, even if you are in primarily a sales business, you still have to service the customer or else they will end up going elsewhere.

What Tom said about the large stores is so true in the NYC metropolitan area. Just try to find sales help in a mega-hardware store. They don't exist. Yet your local hardware store has the owner behind the counter who knows ever nut and bolt he stocks. And it is not just hardware, it even holds true for supermarkets. Most of the really big ones just don't give you good service. When was the last time you actually talked to the guy who cut your beef for you, or had him trim a roast for you?

Pardon the pun Dagger, but most of these businesses are just going to the dogs. They final days will come soon enough in this economy. Business Darwinism is at work - I see it in all the stores around here that have closed in the past year.

k_enn

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2009 3:18 pm 
Forum User

I have no problem spending a bit more to support a local but some of the places around here just put no effort into competing price wise with online vendors. For example I went into a local truck accessory place on my way home today to get a price on some Cragar Soft 8 rims... $92 For a 15" rim that is $39 from Summit. I am sorry but that is frigging nuts.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2009 3:46 pm 
Supporting Member

Tommy, again, you said it well. It's just to bad that many retailers can't see the light through the trees. Why don't they realize that people often comparative shop, and like I said, I will pay more locally, but not twice the price. I always add in the cost of shipping, but shipping is really often cheaper than driving around and the hassle of dealing with idiots. Retailers should know their competition and realize people will pay more for service, but not twice as much, and the service has to be good.

Post subject: Re: Dagger, The Economist: Why the Economy is Failing
PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2009 9:02 pm 
Forum User

Scott, just remember that even though Fastenall is a national retailer, it is still a local business employing local people. So you are still doing ok!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2009 11:18 am 
Supporting Member

I have to admit that I'm on the same page in that I will go first to the mom & pop establishment and then, if they don't have what I want (including the hot woman behind the counter), then I move on to the bigger stores. If the price that I have to pay there is more than I think is reasonable, I go online and try to overcome my need for immediate gratification.

My belief is that people will gladly pay more for an item if the service is exceptional and also, pay more for an item if the cheaper supplier has service that is just poor.

I'm all for supporting the local business, but when it comes down to it, it's a market economy and those that prove their value will survive while those that don't have anything to offer will ultimately fail.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2009 12:35 pm 
Forum User

Svendog wrote:
I have to admit that I'm on the same page in that I will go first to the mom & pop establishment and then, if they don't have what I want (including the hot woman behind the counter), then I move on to the bigger stores. <snip>

So, you've tried the local diner for wings, but now go to Hooters?

:lol:

k_enn

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2009 1:11 pm 
Supporting Member

k_enn wrote:
Svendog wrote:
I have to admit that I'm on the same page in that I will go first to the mom & pop establishment and then, if they don't have what I want (including the hot woman behind the counter), then I move on to the bigger stores. <snip>

So, you've tried the local diner for wings, but now go to Hooters?

:lol:

k_enn

Hooters is franchised, run and staffed by locals..
So, technically, I'm still supporting the local economy.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2009 1:16 pm 
Forum User

all i can offer is that fastenal is friggen sweet.

2001 SC CC Frontier
(half an xterra)

lift, tires, armor

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 19, 2009 4:11 pm 
Supporting Member

silversuper wrote:
all i can offer is that fastenal is friggen sweet.

It got even sweeter today. I went to pick up my bolts today and also picked up a bag of 100 stainless screws for my trailer. I bought a bag 2 weeks ago and was charged $15 by the guy behind the counter. The Fastenal babe only charged me $8 for the same item. I love women! :shock: Better than Hooters!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 20, 2009 2:41 am 
Forum User

haha yea there s no compromising there.

they have the EXACT thing you are looking for. and sometimes that have stuff better than what you initially planned on using

they had the nuts for the UCA cam bolts :)

2001 SC CC Frontier
(half an xterra)

lift, tires, armor