It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 4:36 pm

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 3 posts ] 
 Post subject: Filled: Safari Rack
PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2005 9:42 pm 
Forum User

I'm thinking about picking up safari rack before B2SR but not sure what it entails. :)

What kind...
How big...
Any adjustments on my current "tubular roof rack"...
Where to get...

Thanks!

Last edited by cornick on Sun May 06, 2007 8:28 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2005 2:42 am 
Supporting Member

I don't have one, I have owned a lot of racks and IMO Yakima makes the best stuff. The Yakama load warrior is really nice, well made, and is designed so that it can take a lot of attachments. Their stuff is expensive, but worth the money.

There are a lot of places on line to check out such as http://www.rackwarehouse.com/

Loadwarrior: http://www.rackwarehouse.com/images/y7070-prd.jpg

You may be able to get a decent price at Dicks Sports, they sell Yakima.:)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2005 3:42 pm 
I've got a custom made one on my truck. Everyone who's seen it shouts out...'NICE RACK!' :rofl:

I found a guy on eBay who makes custom racks, and called him up and asked if he would make me one to my specifications, he agreed. It is 62x42x8" made of square tubular steel. This thing is BEEFY. You'll see it at B2S.

I looked at the Yakima and Thule brand basket cargo racks and passed on them because I felt the price was too high for a bolt together rack of that size. To be able to hold anything substantial in it, you have to get the 18" extension for it, which is another $100-150 on top of the $369 for the rack. And that doesn't even include the Yakima/Thule feet or cross bars (toss another $200 or so in for those, and you see my point.) I also did not like the way they were constructed with small gauge metal tubing, they didn't seem as they would hold up to the type of abuse I would throw at it.

I also looked at the cheaper brands, like Surco ($189). They are aluminum construction, so they are lightweight and very easy to install, however, since they're aluminum, they are also decidedly weak. I've seen them get all sorts of bent up just from carrying loads.

Then I considered the Wilderness brand racks, which are about the same price as the Yakima, but are a solid welded construction (instead of 2 or 3 (if you get the extension) peices that are bolted together), and are substanially larger. I decided against getting one of these, because, after measuring my truck, and my racks, I felt that it would not fit the geometry and size of my truck well, and also it wouldn't be big enough to haul all the crap I generally throw up there.

Then I found Blackout (builder of custom safari racks in Arizona) and contracted him to make me one to my specifications. I got the rack, built to my specs, solid welded steel tube construction, shipped from AZ for $300 even. I am exceedingly happy with the purchase and highly recommend his stuff to anyone. Look on eBay under seller name blackout-ngpcable-com, or do a search for safari rack, and find the ones around $300.

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 3 posts ]