It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:15 am

Post subject: Re: Got my new diff cover.
PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2018 8:57 pm 
Supporting Member

Bklyn.X wrote:
Ha, I was just about to say I never heard of this and it turns out I responded to your thread! The mind is losing data…

Anyways

This is obviously a common problem. I’m curious about why this happens since Nissan does not normally toss around torque specs randomly.

Are you getting the torque spec for those bolts for a Nissan Factory Service Manual?
By any chance does it say NOT to reuse those bolts in your FSM?
If you’re able to reuse the bolts are they clean and free of any old thread loc?
Have you cleaned out the receiving hole in the diff with brake cleaner and a brush making sure there isn’t any old thread loc in there?

These are common mistakes I’ve made with hub bolts on the 1st Gen that has me thinking it might be similar since they both have snapped at relatively low torque.

I believe the specs come from the FSM. I don't have it anymore, since they got taken down. I don't remember anything about not reusing them. I've cleaned, chased threads with a chase tap, etc. But yeah, those are definitely mistakes that are made.

Sent from my P00I using Tapatalk

Last edited by JeffPro4x on Fri Oct 05, 2018 5:53 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: Re: Got my new diff cover.
PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2018 11:24 pm 
Forum User

I was considering 1/16 from the tip loctite and the rest antiseez gold, just for the next time or next guy.
JeffPro4x wrote:
Bklyn.X wrote:
Ha, I was just about to say I never heard of this and it turns out I responded to your thread! The mind is losing data…

Anyways

This is obviously a common problem. I’m curious about why this happens since Nissan does not normally toss around torque specs randomly.

Are you getting the torque spec for those bolts for a Nissan Factory Service Manual?
By any chance does it say NOT to reuse those bolts in your FSM?
If you’re able to reuse the bolts are they clean and free of any old thread loc?
Have you cleaned out the receiving hole in the diff with brake cleaner and a brush making sure there isn’t any old thread loc in there?

These are common mistakes I’ve made with hub bolts on the 1st Gen that has me thinking it might be similar since they both have snapped at relatively low torque.

I believe the specs come from the same. I don't have it anymore, since they got taken down. I don't remember anything about not reusing them. I've cleaned, chased threads with a chase tap, etc. But yeah, those are definitely mistakes that are made.

Sent from my P00I using Tapatalk

Sent from my VS990 using Tapatalk