It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 3:13 am

Post subject: Re: Autozonin'
PostPosted: Fri Sep 13, 2013 2:24 pm 
Supporting Member

Just got off the phone w a tech from ruggedrocks. He says he's been runnin spacers on his pathy since forever. Claims negligence and irresponsibility is probably to blame for the negative opinions.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 13, 2013 4:28 pm 
Global Moderator

We should really have started a separate thread for all this... :?
BKxterra718 wrote:
…question though. I called up spidertrax and asked if these would fit a nissan they said it would if its a 6 on 5.5 but they do not recommend it. howevre rugged rocks has the same item, just dif thread on the spacer studs. if spacers are mad for specific bolt patterns, does the thread pitch make a dif as to what vehicle it can be mounted on? or is it just preference as to if you wana use 2 dif sockets to remove your wheels.
Also, i was told to torque the spacer to wheel studs at factory rating, however when mounting the wheel onto the spacer to go by the spacer stud torque spec. So if nissans ftlbs is 90 and the spacers is 75ftlbs would that lead to any problems?

No, thread pitch does not make a difference. The thread pitch has to do with the lug/stud. Your Nissan lugs can have one pitch and the aftermarket spacer stud another. Right, except I’d prefer to use the same socket. No. The torque spec has to do with the lug/stud. Nissan lugs 90 ft-lb, spacer stud 75 ft-lb (or whatever the manufacturer recommends).
How this stuff has been explained to me;
My Xterra is designed to ride at a "soccer mom" height. Therefore front and rear wheels of my truck are designed to have equal track (front and rear wheels lined up parallel) at that height. When I crank my torsion bars the control arms move the wheel spindle (wheels/tires) in as they are "pushed" down (lifting my truck up). They are no longer parallel. This is one of the reasons most places cannot give a proper wheel alignment after you lift you junk. Wheel spacers on the front wheels correct that tracking without the need of having wheels with different backspacing for the front and rear. This is convenient for rotating tires and carrying a spare.
If you want a wider stance, IMHO, you should get wheels with less back spacing…
I have aftermarket wheels with 4.75 back spacing (less than OEM) and that’s plenty wide for me and would rather not expose my brake caliper any more by adding spacers. Straightening out the tracking would not, IMHO, help in any noticeable way with the handling of my pig of a truck and I have a guy that knows how to align it as it stands.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 14, 2013 3:18 pm 
Supporting Member

Yea T i got the 3.75 backspacing and its enough, but you know im into the big girls bro, and you also know what she be sayin man, 3" makes all the difference.