It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 1:36 am

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 85 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
 Post subject: Re: Scott's & JAC04's Local Wheeling adventures 2015
PostPosted: Sun May 24, 2015 6:32 am 
Forum User

Rusty wrote:
WillUBMyKnight wrote:
What time are we meeting?

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk

The Pm Says 9 AM, at scott's house, or 9:45AM at the trails

PostPosted: Sun May 24, 2015 8:11 am 
Global Moderator

Donuts will make you larger than you may want to be. I know this to be fact. Hellava drug donuts.

PostPosted: Sun May 24, 2015 6:13 pm 
Supporting Member

Just came back from the run we all had. This was my 4th overall off-roading trip, so i did not know what to expect but i was very eager to see what Scott and Jeff had in store for us. I was not disappointed at ALL, the trails were nice , nice obstacles, nice rough ridged terrain. Little bit of everything on the run. The best part of the whole trip was everyone welcomed me in like i was part of their family, and everyone was so helpful. Great spotting by Jeff on the hard parts going up steep rocks. Glad i could finally meet some of the members and some new faces. Thanks to scott and Jeff for inviting me i had a blast! Anyways here's some photos from the run, i have a lot so i hope noone minds haha.

On our way up to the trails
Getting into the start of the run\trails
Little side shot
Blurry photo, but a shot of murphy's frontier
Going up one of the steep rocks

Nice little flex
Did i say i loved the trial?
Attempting to go through the mud pit we stumbled across
Pretty sure willubymyknight will enjoy this one
The big water crossing
Only photos i got of Scott , sorry scott
Little flex for me
And end of the trip, airing up to head back home

Was such a great trip like i said before, thanks everyone for welcoming me with open hands, I can't wait to meet everyone else that's part of this group.

Last edited by Rusty on Sun May 24, 2015 6:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sun May 24, 2015 6:17 pm 
Forum User

Awesome pics Rusty!!

PostPosted: Sun May 24, 2015 6:24 pm 
Supporting Member

WillUBMyKnight wrote:
Awesome pics Rusty!!

Thanks! most of the photos were taken by my wife, always good to have a passenger who can take photos haha

PostPosted: Sun May 24, 2015 7:29 pm 
Supporting Member

Awesome! Glad you had fun - we all did & it was nice to have you along.

As always, I didn't take that many pictures and I should be taking more pictures. :oops: I'll get what I have uploaded & posted in the next few days.

PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2015 9:21 am 
Supporting Member

jac04 wrote:
Awesome! Glad you had fun - we all did & it was nice to have you along.

As always, I didn't take that many pictures and I should be taking more pictures. :oops: I'll get what I have uploaded & posted in the next few days.

Sounds good , i look foward to seeing them. I am craving Scott's wife's strawberry muffins those were amazing!

PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2015 9:51 am 
Club Secretary

Thanks for posting up the pic's rusty. Seeing all of the photos after is part of the fun for me.

My X. http://www.nexterra.org/forums/viewtopi ... =71&t=9534

PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2015 10:19 am 
Forum User

Sunday was FUN! By the end of the day I got home, about 5:30, feeling like we bit off a bit more than this old guy was ready for.The first half ran like clockwork. Everyone was at the house on time, the rigs looked good and capable of the day ahead. Our 15 minutes of bonding went well and we were off. At the trail head me met up with the last (7th) rig, Jeff from work in his Grand Cherokee.

After pulling in far enough to not advertise the location, we aired down and of course BS'd a bit more.

At the head, JAC04's Rubi followed by Jackson & his parents Keith & Kristin in his Green Monster: Note, Keith is talking to Michelle's Co-Pilot Matt.

They are followed by Michelle and Rusty. After owning a Pathfinder for 9 years it was great seeing Rusty's out there with us.

Next up Murphy's Fronty, where JAC04 is getting Murphy's views on the best donuts in E.Longmeadow, or something equally important.

Sixth vehicle is Benjamin & Jeff P's stock Grand Cherokee. Of course not wanting to be stuck in the back of the Pack, Benjamin sent much of his time in JAC04's Rubi.

And then, not shown since I already know what it looks like, is my X.

And then we we off! Just after 10 AM

The trouble with being last in a large group was that there was almost no easy opportunity to take photos. So after taking a few of the GC I pretty much put the camera down for the count.

We started on what's probably the easiest trail with it only having one real obstacle which we needed to stack a few rocks to get the GC over. It held a number of other challenges but they were easily avoidable. While driving down to the big water crossing (yes we wussed out) we passed a neat military vehicle who'd just made the crossing. We continued down to the crossing when we were joined by said neat vehicle. It was a Pinzgauer 710 troop carrier.

He ended up joining us for the rest of the first leg. The rest of the first leg was uneventful, and we finished up about 12:30. We aired up the rigs who were calling it a day and broke up.

4 (5 w/ Ben) of us remained for the second tougher leg. Murphy, the 2 Jeffs, and me. The Fronty, X, Rubi & G Cherokee. Murphy of course didn't know what he was getting into or we probably would have been down to 3. So off we went hitting the second leg before 1pm, it was going to be fairly easy straight shot thru. Then it got interesting. We came up on a dirt biker who had busted his chain and was walking his bike up hill, with a ways to go to get anywhere. Well, we volunteered Murphy's Fronty to transport the bike (damn he's a good sport!) We got to the intersection of the way the biker came in and he was all for coasting out to his truck. Murphy being the great guy he is said no way, he'll give him the lift back to his truck. I jumped in to help and we took a slight detour, got the biker loaded up and we returned to our buddies.

Well, we had left JAC04 too much time. Instead of simply heading on our initial route, Jeff convinced us to take an even more challenging, wetter route. Sure we can get the GC through. And we did, but it took work, time and getting a bit muddy to do so. Shovels and bow saw were used, as well as a winch and a snatch strap, but hey that's why we have them along right?

We emerged around 4:30 to air up. Based on the phone calls home, a wife or two was not pleased with the unexpected long day. Murphy had bribe plans worked out. JAC04 was incentivized to get home quickly as the homemade pizza was already in the oven and we were close to an hour out. Me, I was begging that they save me my share of the homemade mango salsa. Salsa that the family was going to chow down on, waiting for me to get home.

I hope Jeff P. figures out how that plastic trim goes back on. And yeah my butt was whupped! It was a long day.

Scott

PS: It was really great getting to meet Murphy, Rusty and Matt and I certainly look forward to seeing you guys on future adventures and club activities.

Last edited by Scott Farris on Mon May 25, 2015 10:32 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2015 10:26 am 
Forum User

Sounds like we missed out on a great 2nd round!!

PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2015 12:59 pm 
Club Secretary

so after i rinsed(and rinsed and rinsed and rinsed) all of the mud and leaves and pieces of stump out of as many little hiding places that i could get to with the hose, i assessed the truck. my factory radiator skid paid the ultimate price and sacrificed itself so that my radiator could live on for another day. also, on my rear driver wheel i lost some green plastidip and some wheel paint under that. now i have some bare metal showing. other than that, the rest is the skids and sliders doing their job.

PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2015 1:01 pm 
Club Secretary

scott, putting my name on my licence plate was a nice touch.

PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2015 7:44 pm 
Supporting Member

Glad i could bring back some memories to you Scott of you and your old pathfinder, hearing about the 2nd leg of the trip, i wish i haven't left and stayed, next time i am going to better plan it out so my daughter is 100% ok with the babysitter, and bathroom breaks before the trails. Let me know when you're going for another trail run and i'll be definitely in.

PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2015 8:12 pm 
Forum User

Matt had a great time and mentioned on a couple occasions how awesome everyone was - he's used to the more hard core stuff, but he said along with that usually comes hard core attitudes...he hadn't been out wheeling in over 10 years and our little trip on Sunday got the mud flowing through his veins again...hopefully he'll have his Jeep ready for MaBelle :)

We had been out late the night before and only got a couple hours of sleep...so after a couple hours of wheeling we were both shot...landed up taking another nap about 2 miles down from the center of Granby and then stopped off for lunch at Rancho Viejo...excellent food and HUGE portions...stuffed our faces and barely made it home before taking another nap in the driveway LoL

I'm still laughing at the "Where's Jeff..." comment I made as Matt was trying to spot me...

PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2015 9:11 am 
Supporting Member

Here's a few pics I took:

Jeff P & Ben:

Keith, Kristen, and Jackson:

Jeff P's Grand Cherokee coming through a tough little section (at least for a stock GC):

Ben is Jeff P's son, and he's 3. He stayed in the Jeep when I spotted someone. When I came back, the defroster, heated seats, air conditioning, power inverter, hill descent control and hazard lights were all on. OK, next time I told him not to touch any buttons. When I came back, the WiFi on my GoPro was on and some settings were changed. OK, next time "don't touch any buttons and leave the camera right there". When I came back the CB radio had been locked, channel changed, and set to some mode I didn't even know it had. What a fun kid!!

When I downloaded my GoPro pics & videos I found about 20 photos just like this one. Good stuff:

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 85 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next