It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 8:47 am

Post subject: Scott's & JAC04's Local Wheeling adventures 2015
PostPosted: Sun Apr 19, 2015 2:28 pm 
Forum User

Instead of making a new post every week or two I've decided to try to limit to one that continues like a diary. As a preamble, Jeff & I work together in adjoining Cubicles overlooking Talcott Mountain and live in the same town. However, this doesn't mean that we don't want company, just the opposite, we probably both want to see new faces. The only issue is that we're not too organized, and we may decide to go with a phone call the night before or even the day of an adventure. I will try to post up when we know what were doing and give you all a heads up if you want to join us. We normally stay within an hour of home. Trails taken, normally blue, as we're running lifted & armored rigs.

Today's exploration was to the east. Last week West and north of here was snow, frost and lots of soft mud. Jeff checked out the beginning of Porters Road yesterday and found it decent. I got the call - Let's go. Neither of us has run it before so we didn't know what to expect. In fact I'm not sure we did it justice. We stayed right for the first leg until we hit a private property no trespassing sign, shortly after passing a large rock with Dead End painted on it.

We then tried a run up the middle and were fine until we hit the small pond with no apparent continuation. We then tried the left (north most) trail, and chewed through some mud and finally turned back after it had turned into a quad trail. Very tight clearance between the trees and stopped looking like an old road bed. We tried a couple short spurs but they didn't lead anywhere.

What was different today was that Jeff had the kids along. I'm sure it added to his stress but I enjoyed it!

With chores still to accomplish we called it a wrap and headed out after just under two hours on the trails.

Scott

Post subject: Re: Scott's & JAC04's Local Wheeling adventures 2015
PostPosted: Sun Apr 19, 2015 7:24 pm 
Supporting Member

Nice job getting out. I'm going to hit breakneck road tomorrow in Union after fishing.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 19, 2015 8:11 pm 
Forum User

Fishing & Wheeling? Sounds marvelous! How long is Breakneck Rd.? And how do you have tomorrow off? Work in MA? Also, while I'm asking all these questions, Locker in?

Have a BLAST!

PostPosted: Sun Apr 19, 2015 8:29 pm 
Supporting Member

Scott Farris wrote:
Fishing & Wheeling? Sounds marvelous! How long is Breakneck Rd.? And how do you have tomorrow off? Work in MA? Also, while I'm asking all these questions, Locker in?

Have a BLAST!

Yeah,my 2 favorite hobbies...Breakneck is not long,straight shot about 2 miles maybe. We usually hit it when at gg,its right near there. Yup,worked for the state now a city in MA so I get all the holidays off. No locker yet maybe next week,haven't had time to take diff out.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2015 10:36 am 
Supporting Member

Sorry I forgot my camera on this adventure, otherwise there would be more XTerra content.
Hey, at least I remembered the kids.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2015 10:59 am 
Forum User

That sounded awesome!! Please give me a call anytime...I don't always get notifications here and would LOVE to join you guys!!

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2015 8:58 am 
Forum User

We’re going to give it a try again this Sunday, May 3rd., heading out Otis direction. We hope to hit some of the same trails as we took when Suresh and Will joined us last year. Our trail bike buddies where out there last weekend and they report significantly improved (but not dry) conditions. If anyone wants to come along we are shooting for 9 am departure in East Granby, CT and 9:40 trail head off 57 in Tolland, MA area. We normally wrap up early afternoon. Warning: If the trails are too soft and we think we are damaging them, we’ll back off so - no guarantees of long beautiful runs.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2015 10:28 am 
Forum User

I'm going to try to make it!!

PostPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2015 11:56 am 
Supporting Member

Ooooh, company. We'll try to be on our best behavior.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2015 7:04 pm 
Forum User

jac04 wrote:
Ooooh, company. We'll try to be on our best behavior.

No need...I know better

PostPosted: Mon May 04, 2015 7:56 am 
Supporting Member

We had a fun time on Sunday. Trail conditions were better than expected, since a few weeks ago these trails were like quicksand. I'll let Scott give the full report.

Here's Scott having a little fun:

PostPosted: Mon May 04, 2015 8:09 am 
Forum User

jac04 wrote:
We had a fun time on Sunday. Trail conditions were better than expected, since a few weeks ago these trails were like quicksand. I'll let Scott give the full report.

Here's Scott having a little fun:

Jeff, thanks again for the excellent spotting and for hanging out with my little people...I sincerely appreciate the family atmosphere!! And Scott...your wife's muffins are INCREDIBLE!!

Here are some more pics from yesterday...

PostPosted: Mon May 04, 2015 9:29 am 
Supporting Member

WillUBMyKnight wrote:
Jeff, thanks again for the excellent spotting and for hanging out with my little people...I sincerely appreciate the family atmosphere!!

My pleasure. If we are going to do the same run again, we could make it a 'family' run and I'll bring along my kiddies (pack a picnic lunch and make it fun for the kids). It seems to be about the limit for the kids. Scott & I were out on the trails until 2:30, which is kind of a long day for the little ones.

PostPosted: Mon May 04, 2015 12:13 pm 
Forum User

I spend lunch prep'ing pictures and you guys go and post them up. Well what the heck my edits of both Jeff's and Michelle's pictures along with one of mine.

Sunday 5/3/2015 E. Granby CT
We met up at my place as planed and checked out Keith's Frankenstein creation:

Keith is a good friend of my daughter and wanted to join us for a shake down run. With a turbocharged Cummings diesel motor and 37" Hummer tires we didn't challenge her at all, although on the highway she was swaying heavily. And the whole run it sounded like there was an 18 wheeler along with us.

So off we went:

Jeff in the lead - lightly modified Rubicon, Keith & family in the Jeep unlimited, the Mud Lover in her stock X and myself in the lifted/armored X.

The first leg got slightly messed up in the middle by our over shooting a turn but it just added a nice additional section that we ran, then turned around and ran from the other direction.

Random shots showing the first leg:

By the time we got through the first leg the rigs with kids were about wheeled out so they headed home. Jeff and I continued on to the 2nd half. A bit softer trails with the choice of mud holes or weaving thru woods. Jeff really likes to weave his way through the forest, me I've hit more trees than I ever wanted to so I tried out the new mud tires Cooper S/T Max. Unlike the AT3s before them instead of loading up and becoming useless the S/T Max tires kept pulling. I really like them. They do however like to stay in existing ruts. Climbing out is significantly more difficult with them.

Image.

All in all a great day, good weather, good company with the exception of a few too many bugs. But even they didn't suck or bite. May in New England.

Scott

PostPosted: Mon May 04, 2015 2:00 pm 
Forum User

Awesome write up Scott