It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 11:21 am

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 73 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Post subject: Still need help with body lift
PostPosted: Tue Oct 15, 2013 7:56 am 
Forum User

I work this Saturday the 19th so that's out. Anyone able to help? I'd like to make the run at RC at end of October, but really need to get this done so I can make the Northern Exposure run and other Winter/Fall events.

Been trying to coordinate this since August or earlier. Guys I chip in and help in local mod days when I can and have been for years. Think we can make some time to work on my Xterra this time? I really need assistance - a body lift is not a one man job.

Thanks in advance.

Lee

Post subject: Re: Still need help with body lift
PostPosted: Tue Oct 15, 2013 8:00 am 
Forum User

I did mine by my self :wave:

PostPosted: Tue Oct 15, 2013 12:48 pm 
Noob

If I lived near you I'd help.

I also did mine by myself.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 15, 2013 1:42 pm 
Global Moderator

I stood around, handed tools now and then, drank beer and ate pizza while a couple of my friends did all the work. It was great.

Post subject: Re: Philly area need help with body lift B4 ECXC
PostPosted: Tue Oct 15, 2013 6:34 pm 
Global Moderator

There were three posts for the same thing by the same person so I brought them together. Should make the base topic easier to follow.

Post subject: Philly area need help with body lift B4 ECXC
PostPosted: Tue Oct 15, 2013 6:42 pm 
Global Moderator

Anyone?
http://www.clubxterra.org/forums/showthread.php?t=66498&highlight=CISO1969

http://www.clubxterra.org/forums/showthread.php?t=61018

http://www.clubxterra.org/forums/showthread.php?t=53945

Unfortunately people have not been available on your schedule with any of their offers to help.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 16, 2013 11:31 am 
Forum User

yeah I found out about a mod day after the fact this past July, the next one they couldnt fit me in, the next one they didnt have air/power etc. It's been murphy's law the whole way :)

I did my own bumper swap up front, Ive done quite a lot of things myself I never thought I could do. Im not afraid to try it just would prefer not to make a 4 hour job into a 20 hour job with me operating blindly the whole way.

My driveway is a 45 degree incline and added to that I have never done one of these before. Since there is too much that can go wrong, I am hoping to get some help with this. I dont expect to sit and watch someone else to do it, I do expect to get dirty, wrench, cut my knuckle or scrape it, call my truck a few names starting with "Mother" etc....

It's just frustrating that I have asked over several time frames, am open to just about any date and get crickets. It would be one thing if I was one of those guys who didnt help on others trucks or always had others do his work, but I am not. I help when I can, go to mod days to help when I had no mods myself, etc

Ive been fortunate to have some grat moral and informational support on a few of the mechanical snafus I have had (Thanks Mike, Tom and TJ) but I see this task as being safer and faster if others help.

Once again, looking for "help" not for someone to do it for me.

Thanks guys,

Lee

PostPosted: Wed Oct 16, 2013 2:24 pm 
Global Moderator

CISO1969 wrote:
...SNIPPED...
It's just frustrating that I have asked over several time frames, am open to just about any date and get crickets. It would be one thing if I was one of those guys who didnt help on others trucks or always had others do his work, but I am not. I help when I can, go to mod days to help when I had no mods myself, etc
...SNIPPED

I can read your frustration in many of your postings and there have been dates that the guys have gotten together. Some you have missed or not replied back. Keep an eye open for dates that may open up again. After all, we are all going on with our lives as you are.
:wink:

I'm a long way from anyone on the boards so personally -I have a shop that does most of my work. The hobby is not cheap. I save money where I can do it but when I can't I live without or get professionals to do it. They get the work done faster and much more safe than I ever could. Perhaps talking to someone local to you as well? Sounds like you have the parts already. Maybe it would not take them long either and think of the fuel you might save driving hours boths ways. Just brainstorming here.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 16, 2013 3:03 pm 
Global Moderator

CISO1969 wrote:
,,,SNIPPED>>>
yeah I found out about a mod day after the fact this past July, the next one they couldnt fit me in, the next one they didnt have air/power etc. It's been murphy's law the whole way :) …
… It's just frustrating that I have asked over several time frames, am open to just about any date and get crickets. It would be one thing if I was one of those guys who didnt help on others trucks or always had others do his work, but I am not. I help when I can, go to mod days to help when I had no mods myself, etc…

Not for nutin Lee but you hearing about the July Mod day “after the fact” is on you. The OP in one of your three threads asked about 7/7 and you did not “get crickets” on this board. I was there with an entire Brooklyn Crew that had originally planned the Mod day around you and your truck.
The next time you asked for help Justin and Mike again offered to help you on 9/14 and/or 9/15 and Mike said in this thread to “call me when its ready for that I will shoot by and let u use some power of my truck”. Those guys were there with air and power, you were not.
You know that I don’t mind helping you or any one out when I can however I’m kind of resenting how you are asking me here. You portray this club in your post as folk that you have helped in the past who are now unwilling to return the favor. That you have helped me, Mike, Justin and the rest of the membership here and none of us have offered you any help at any time… and as if someone here owes you something.
I don’t know about the rest of these guys but I don’t respond to this type of request well…if I respond at all. I’m certainly not going to plan my day off around it.
Ya might want to rethink your approach.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 16, 2013 8:24 pm 
Forum User

great post tom :cheers:

PostPosted: Sat Oct 19, 2013 7:43 am 
Forum User

Tom:

I was told not to bother coming to the July mod day that was held after the 7/7 one because there was no room for me. I was told not to come to the last one on the 14th because they could not get air for power tools that "we'd get 'er next time."

I never said the 7/7 day wasnt on me, I said I missed it. I was frustrated with myself, on that one, not you. I have tons going on right now both at work and at home, and I simply was missing from the boards for about 4 or more days or so around that one. I was simply adding it to my reasons for frustration, never saying it was anyone's fault i missed it but my own.

About the last two(?) dates - every date after the 7/7 date I was shot down for reasons such as "we dont have room to do the body lift (too much to do already)" or the "we do not have air".

The fact that you are saying I could have made these dates and would have gotten my truck done states to me there is some miscommunication or a crossed wire between the brooklyn guys and what was being relayed to me. I wont say who I was communicating with in IM's about these mod days as I dont want it to be misconstrued that I am throwing them under the bus or complaining (seems a lot of what I posted was misconstrued by you--I apologize for not communicating better) but I was told via IM's regarding anything after 7/7 that "we'll try to do it next time". So I moved forward and tried to create "the next time" :)

So I'm sorry if you interepreted my statements as zeroing in on you and the other guys in Brooklyn, it was more a general statement mainly about local guys in all the clubs- by local I mean Pennsylvania area around me. The mod days I have helped at have been near me

Its frustrating to me that with all the clubs I belong to and support and with all the guys who live within 30 -45 minutes of me, except for the one or two of the newer guys who live in my state that who also need similar things done, that my calls for assistance almost always (not just in this case) fall on deaf ears from the local guys and the only help I usually get is from guys like you Tom who help me out via the board or texts, or Xterra Mike or TJ who do the same, or the the Brooklyn crew who we have had a hard time coordinating a day or have had apparent miscommunication. In fact if you re-read my post that upset you, you will see i give you , TJ and Mike kudos for helping me as you could.

The Brooklyn guys have indeed offered to help and I have been trying to make that work.

Anyway, I'll bow out here as it's obvious my frustration and attempts at trying to get something going are being taken out of their context. I like the guys in this club, thats why I joined. In fact Tom I look up to you and the things you do here. Organizing and keeping the Northern Exposuire run going in Rausch Creek, promoting and helping to organize and rally club events.

My offer to help you with Northern Exposure still stands. Let me know.

Lee

PostPosted: Mon Oct 21, 2013 8:19 pm 
Global Moderator

Lee,

There is no reason for you to bow out, not ask for help or disappear. My problem was the way the club, in general, was being portrayed within the context of your posts and that I thought the reason you were not getting the response you desired was because of the way you asked for help.

Your posts made it seem as if the membership was ignoring you after you had gone out of your way to help them. This may have been the case with your PA “friends” but as far as I know (please forgive and correct me if I am mistaken) this is not the case with the “Brooklyn Crew” and/or any of the NEXterra membership.

I’ve learned the hard way from personal experience that most guys do not want to hear about my troubles or that I’m expecting any payback for something.
Thus the “Ya might want to rethink your approach…” I posted.
For help I just post what I want to do and what type of help I’m looking for period. Then I adjust my schedule to fit the help offered. This has worked the best for me so far.

I’ve never helped anyone with their truck expecting their help in return however if there is a person that I feel owes me something I ask them for it, if they don’t give it to me I take it, if I can’t take it I cut my losses and move on.
If I call them out vaguely in a post on the boards in the hope they will step up to their responsibility not only will I be disappointed I may find most of my friends start to distance themselves from me, a bit pissed off, mistakenly thinking I might be talking about them.

No one on this board should feel as if they can not ask for help. Folks here help when they can, things some times do not work out but hey, it doesn’t hurt to ask.

I am sure the Officers, Supporting Membership and board members hope you still hang around and continue to participate. I certainly do.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 21, 2013 8:53 pm 
Global Moderator

I second that.

Be cool, Lee. We are all friends here.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 02, 2013 10:14 am 
Forum User

Sorry guys I did take a break to cool off. I wasnt raging or anything, but I know myself and I was at a point where doing stuff for the X and coming to the boards was not fun anymore.

I do want to point out and also add in case there was confusion, that in no way were my comments at all directed toward Xterra Mike either--he's in PA and has helped me when he can. I also go out and help at his place for mod days or whatever when I can. Sadly as I am sure many of you already know having kids yourself, my windows of opportunity to do this kind of stuff gets smaller and smaller.

Maybe I need to rethink what it is I am looking for. I joined various boards and clubs hoping to make friends with guys who had similar interests. Ultimately if they lived nearby we could help each other working on the X's and even just hang out and talk Xterras and shoot the s**t. I can best describe it as it would be great if I could get back maybe 1 weekend or day a month where it could be the kind of camaraderie and fun I had late high school and early college days drinking beers, telling lies and working on each others cars. Those days were hella fun, and we helped each other out. You needed a part, your friend had it , it was yours and vice versa. I wasnt the true mechanic in the group, in fact all of my friends were vocatonal school trained mechanics whereas I was going down the college/business school path, but I did what they told me "hold this light", grab the phillips and tighten this screw" etc etc. and helped as I could.

Anyway, I am truly sorry if I put any of you off. It was not my intention. I'm not a grand-stander, I don't tell the world my problems looking for sympathy. I had a lot going on this year but hey so does everyone else.

Anyway I'm back, spent a lot of the last few weeks focusing on my "new-to-me" 1997 Harley Davidon FXDL Dyna Low Rider. It's been fun and also a major pain in the a$$ :) So therefore I love it...I have issues :)

Lee

PostPosted: Mon Dec 02, 2013 10:39 am 
Global Moderator

These places are supposed to be fun and if/when they start to irritate me instead I take a break or leave completely.
It’s nice to hear you like the bike. I’m looking forward to a picture of it.

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 73 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next