It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 8:39 am

Post subject: Mod days?
PostPosted: Fri Oct 29, 2010 5:48 am 
Noob

Ok, so I'm new to this "mod day" concept. How/when/where do they actually occur? I get the part where it's a bunch of X people get together and mod their vehicles, but when and where does it occur? Does a mechanics garage or something get rented? Where do the tools come from? I have loads of tools, but no usable space. I've almost got all my lift parts(damn Deaver's are backordered, but oh well), and would really like to get it installed with people who know and appreciate the X, not just some joe schmoe mechanic who's gonna jerry rig my truck.

Sorry for the stupid questions, just never attended one of these mod days.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 29, 2010 12:05 pm 
Forum User

I've unfortunately never been ablet to attend a NEXterra mod day, but would love to some time to FINALLY get to meet some folks on here beyond Clay and Tiffany who I met on an ENH run this past summer.

Not sure I really have any mods to do these days since I'm sorta broke as a joke from buying my house a few months back, and I have my truck about where I want it for now. I can definitely host mod days since I have an oversized, freestanding two car garage in addition to my attached two car garage. I have a good amount of tools, but no compressor and some other key things.

I'd be open to helping others with their projects to learn more about X's along the way, and if time allows to do some other maintenance stuff for my truck. Some of it is easy enough I suspect like replacing upper and lower radiator hoses and front rotors and brake pads, but some other stuff like replacing the serp and timing belts is WAY beyond my capacity, so that will probably require a trip to the shop for that expertise since I don't want to screw that up.

I might want to try to reindex my t-bars to get more out of them since they're cranked up all the way, but I still have quite a bit of sag with the bumper and winch on the front end adding a good amount of weight so I figure having extra tension from re-indexing will help with that; not 100% sure (any input from folks?)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 29, 2010 3:50 pm 
Supporting Member

I have probably hosted more mod days than anyone. We make a plan, people come here and we plan on a reasonable amount of work to be done. Sometimes, we do more than is reasonable and have had to stay up way to late. People have camped in my basement for the night. Over the years, I bet I have hosed well over 25 mod days.

I have most all the tools we will ever need. So far, we have had one failure...the inability to get out one of the back bolts for a body lift. I think my count is around 15 body lifts. I have worked on both gen Xterra's, but know a lot more about the 1st gens. I did, however, replace the entire drivetrain on Jefe's Xterra, going from an S model to an Offroad model in a weekend.

I'm willing to do some more, but time is getting short these days and winter is approaching. Winter is way too short for me to give up a weekend on the trails.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 01, 2010 4:55 am 
Noob

Thanks for the replies, I didn't realize these were hosted at someones house. Unfortunately it appears that none are coming up in this area so I'll likely have to resort to a mechanic to get everything installed due to lack of space and all the proper tools, especially a spring compressor. My parts from Greg at PRG have been on backorder for almost 2 weeks now, hopefully they go out this week. I want to get it installed and get the new tires on!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 01, 2010 1:41 pm 
Forum User

Do you have a II Gen? Where are you located?

If so, there are many members here that are more than skilled at installing aftermarket parts such as PRG's lift kits.

If you need help then create a mod day. That is the whole point. Mod days are not scheduled throughout the year, they are sporadic and impromptu.

Create a thread asking for help and I almost guarantee you will find it.

2" B/L, 4.56 Gears, Titan Front Diff, ARB Rear Air Locker
PRG Titan UCAs, Radflo 2.5" Coilovers - 600lb
PRG Shackles, Radflo's 2.0 Emulsion Rears, Alcan Full Leaf Pack

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 01, 2010 2:48 pm 
Forum User

I have a BL to install and am trying to workout a place to get it done (trying to acquire use of my school's student auto shop [hydraulic lift and air tools]) But that's been hard to do, I have my 33s and skids sitting in my living room staring at me too, lol. I would be down to get something going depending on location, I'm near Albany, NY.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 01, 2010 6:02 pm 
Supporting Member

Nuke, being near Albany, we could set something up at Scott's (if he's willing).

Squished, before you go to a mechanic, think about how much you'd spend to get it done vs. driving a distance, staying overnight, having some good food and company and learning how to do something with your X.. it may seem like a drive, but the value is there for the mod day

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 01, 2010 6:07 pm 
Noob

Svendog wrote:
Nuke, being near Albany, we could set something up at Scott's (if he's willing).

Squished, before you go to a mechanic, think about how much you'd spend to get it done vs. driving a distance, staying overnight, having some good food and company and learning how to do something with your X.. it may seem like a drive, but the value is there for the mod day

That i TOTALLY understand. I'm still reluctant to bring it to a mechanic and I'm almost to the point I'd rather wait to have it installed appropriately than rush through a mechanic and really have it screwed up. I think I may just sit on it for a bit. Not to mention I get this sick feeling in my stomach when I drop my vehicle or anything off somewhere and it goes behind closed doors to get "worked on."

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 01, 2010 6:10 pm 
Supporting Member

What do you have to install?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 01, 2010 6:13 pm 
Noob

Front:
Bilstein 5125 0-2" Adjustable Shocks
Old Man Emu 607 Coils
PRG Cam Bolts

Rear:
PRG Bilstein 5125 Shocks(3"-5")
PRG Deaver AAL
PRG Adjustable Shackles
PRG Square U-Bolt Kit w/ Titan plates
PRG 3 degree shim kit

The Deaver's are on backorder from PRG. Spoke to Greg today, he hopes he sees them by the end of the week.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 01, 2010 6:23 pm 
Supporting Member

Since I haven't done much work on 2nd gens, we could do it my place, but I'd want some 2nd gen people on site as well

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 01, 2010 7:40 pm 
Noob

I also would be down for this.
Mods Waiting to install:
AC 2" BL
AC Shackles

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 05, 2010 8:21 am 
Forum User

Svendog wrote:

That'd be awesome, I was trying to get some time set up with the shop on campus but they're being uncooperative. hah

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 05, 2010 5:29 pm 
Supporting Member

Scott, are you open at any point to host a mod day?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 05, 2010 5:41 pm 
Supporting Member

Probably. I'll have to check things out, but I could do something at some point soon...before the snow flies.