It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 2:23 pm

Post subject: some help with 3bl on 1st gen
PostPosted: Wed Jul 07, 2010 8:38 pm 
Forum User

i got 3 bl never did lift before got tools but afraid a little bit to do it by my self anyone wants to help to newbie????got some tools i think i got every think to tackle it just want some one to help with a bit more skill level... :lol: :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 07, 2010 10:12 pm 
Global Moderator

Why did you get a 3' and not the 2".
2" I've done, 3" is harder and I've never done.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 08, 2010 7:40 pm 
Supporting Member

There are only a few of us that have done the 3" BL as it takes more work to get in and going than the 2".

But, if we plan things out well enough and have the time needed to see what's required by asking those that have done it, I can't see how it'd be a challenge to plan out a day to do it.

Post subject: 2 or 3bl
PostPosted: Thu Jul 08, 2010 7:46 pm 
Forum User

Whats up!! OK now about 2 or 3 bl!!I got the 3bl because it came with all the hardware and instructions, for 2bl i had to buy extra stuff like bumper relocation brackets and etc.The deference in that as far as I think is:dropping the radiator,extending steering shaft ,relocating bumper,and relocating power steerin reservoir,but every think should be the same besides that!!!I was reading the reviews people saying it takes about 4 hours to do with hand full of tools!Want to do that cause my X needs new shoes and skids so I can come to BACK TO SCHOOL run and get to meet the NEXTERRA people in person!!! :lol: :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 08, 2010 7:57 pm 
Supporting Member

Ok..
on paper, the 3" does sound simple, but of all the BLs that we've done as a club, mine went the fastest on record (4 hours) and that didn't include getting the bumpers on, sliders on and putting things together. So, at a minimum - if all goes really well, it's a 6 hour drive. But, if things don't go well, it's easily a two day event with no guarantee that it'll be finished. So, that's why I'm thinking that we'd want to plan it out and ask other members who've done the 3" BL to get their lesson's learned and what they may do to prepare if they had to do it all over again.

Post subject: reply
PostPosted: Thu Jul 08, 2010 8:10 pm 
Forum User

As i sad Im new to all this ,so u guys know better but so far i got reply from Bklyn.x and Svendog im hoping its going to be 6 hours but not 2 days :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 09, 2010 6:49 am 
Forum User

My friend and I took care of mine in about 12 hours across 2 days. At that point, we'd never done a BL before, although we both knew our way around the tool box and a knew fair amount about cars/trucks.

You should really budget for 2 days on the 3". It would REALLY be pushing it at 6 hours, even with a crack team, especially if you have an auto. I didn't have to extend my t-case or tranny shifters on my manual, but from what I've heard, you DO have to on an auto, which means welding in an extension.

It's been a few years, but if you have any questions, feel free to post them up and I'll see what I can do to dig up the answers.

Be sure to start hitting all of your body bolts and ESPECIALLY the steering shaft knuckle with some PB blaster weeks before you plan the install, this will save your knuckles and a lot of aggravation. It took us 3 hours to separate the steering shaft because of the rust (granted I was out of MAP gas at the time).

Here's the thread from my install:
http://www.nexterra.org/forum/viewtopic ... ght=#18768

Check out the additional photos from the install:
http://s5.photobucket.com/albums/y167/f ... ra%20Lift/

There are plenty of good pictures in there that show things that the instructions DON'T cover (imagine that), like the notches that have to be cut in the rear bumper after it is relocated to clear the frame horns and hitch.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 09, 2010 1:01 pm 
Noob

I've done 4 pathfinders and one X by myself I'm now down to 6 hours to put one in. Biggest issue you will have is getting all the old stuff loose and off, bumpers (at least the front cause rad support wraps around supports), steering shaft (easiest thing I found out is to mark the splines and remove it before lift, then get it loose and re-install after lift), remove air box hose before lift and top rad hose (can re-use top rad hose just might need to turn it a bit, bottom you may need to trim a little shorter but you can do that after lift) brake lines and maybe clutch line you will have to stretch as you lift, DO NOT forget safety hoop around rear drive shaft ( did that once, not good), as far as shifters I got lucky on all but one with out bending or cutting anything but my last on I did on my 95 I had to remove, heat, and bend my 4wd shifter, as far as extensions I make my own with two nuts and a 3" long bolt all welded togeather and ground down so it looks stock, auto shifters I've never had any problems since they are on a cable. Biggest thing is GO SLOW and take your time when jacking look at everything to make sure nothing gets caught. Also when jacking use a good 4x4 against the underside of body for good support between the front body mount and the mid mount, I usually cut one down to touch both body mounts where they meet the body.

Hope this helps a little, writing it and doing it to me is totaly differnt and I'm sure I'm missing something. Just remember take it slow and you should be fine and if an issue comes up take a step back, smoke a cig or drink a beer calm down and get back into it....LOL. Good luck and keep us posted. If you were closer I would say bring it on over with a case of brew and prepare to get dirty........ :)

Tim

"Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well preserved body,

but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting "...holy shiznit...what a ride!"

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 09, 2010 1:10 pm 
Noob

Oh, also remove bottom little fan shroud piece, also you can get new longer hoses for the PS res. and just make the hoses longer and keep the res. in the stock location, I foung that was easier than moving it and remounting.

If I think of anything else I'll repost.

Oh, also fuel tank filler and vent lines you may or may not have to extend if ya do I also found out it is better to just get longer hoses, but I only had to do that to one truck and it was only the vent line.
Also start with the driverside first.
I think thats it for now..... :cheers:

"Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well preserved body,

but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting "...holy shiznit...what a ride!"

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 09, 2010 3:21 pm 
Forum User

To add to Speedy's maybe list, I never extended or replaced the fuel filler hoses/vents, power steering lines or radiator hoses, and I'm on 35,000 miles with no problems.

Also, it may look like the brake line cover in the pass. wheel well is good where it is, but trust me, you need to relocate it as well as the brake like bracket, especially if you plan on running wider tires.

:thumbup: on taking is slow and being patient

Post subject: thanks for the posts
PostPosted: Fri Jul 09, 2010 4:28 pm 
Forum User

thanks every one for the posts i keep every think in my mind,as far as shifter i have automatic should be no problem but gas filler and vent i have to extend 100% i tookmy steering a part b 4 and it was no problem. IM GONNA TRY AND DO IT this weekend with the friend of mine if he is gonna be available?? try to keep every body up to date :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Post subject: did not do it
PostPosted: Thu Jul 15, 2010 8:23 pm 
Forum User

My friend backed out.When it comes to his truck his ready to do it at any time but when it comes to mine i always have to bag him!!!But thats ok,next weekend me and my cuisine ,going to do it in the warehouse ,where the company he works for keep their trucks!im going to take some pic. and post it in google photo albums for every one to see who is interested!! :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 02, 2010 11:30 am 
Forum User

Finally did it it was a long day it took me add one of my friend 11 hours of sweating and having fine time!!!