It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:49 pm

Post subject: Re: Garvin Interior Rack Installed!!!
PostPosted: Sat Dec 03, 2011 11:16 am 
Forum User

I'm in the process of building my own. Should have it done next weekend.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 03, 2011 11:29 am 
Noob

Would love to see it when you're done. I work in a sign shop, so I also have access to a lot of boxed aluminum suitable for this particular application. I might end up fabricating my own as well. But I'll wait and see.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2011 11:22 am 
Forum User

I'm using 3/4" box steel my dad had laying around his place. Got all the pieces cut and the legs and deck welded up. If I didn't live 2.5 hours away it would be done already.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 09, 2011 3:41 pm 
Forum User

Sorry for the late response

I don't know why it's taken them so long to put the rack on their site.

They do kinda have another competitor for the rear rack. Olympic 4x4 does one for $200 but I think it's a cheaper build quality. I know a few guys that have the Olympic and love it and it's tough to justify the extra $145 to go with the Garvin. I'll always save up and spend the extra $$$ on well made products.

It doesn't look all that hard to make. It's the time needed to get it right and the welding skills.

Can't wait to see what you came up with for your build.

If you need more Pics of mine hit me here or send a PM.
If you're around RI this Sunday Dec 11. I'll be working on my X in N. Kingstown. Feel free to swing by and take a look at the rack.

Later

DaveP

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2011 9:31 pm 
Forum User

Yeah it's time consuming trying to get everything lined up and squared up.

Got it all tacked and test fit in the X. Fits like a glove. Dad's going to finish welding it up for me and I'll get it New Years weekend. Damn, forgot to take pics.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 15, 2011 6:24 am 
Noob

So I've gone back and forth will Ron Garvin once the new site when up and I just ordered an interior utility rack for my X.

The level of courtesy that he and his team are higher than I could have hoped for. Ron put in a good amount of effort to make sure that I am satisfied; that, to me, speaks volumes about a business and I let him know that. Once my rack is delivered I'll do some more show and tell.

TomsRedX, can't wait to see your build as well!

PostPosted: Thu Dec 15, 2011 4:35 pm 
Forum User

XterraVT wrote:
<snip>
Bummed about
My Power Tank does not fit with the Garvin installed. It's just way too tight for me to get the tank in. I tried everything from taking the boot off to the handle. it's just too big to squeeze between the rack and the interior.

I'll figure it out but this was a bummer. Of course I am one of the few that has a Power Tank mounted back here so it's only a problem for a limited number of guys.
<snip>

Did you ever figure out a mount for the Power Tank that works with the Garvin? Perhaps bolting the Power Tank bracket to the upright of the Garvin?

If you worked something out, please let me know. I may be wanting to mount a Power Tank with a Garvin.

k_enn

PostPosted: Thu Dec 15, 2011 9:43 pm 
Club President

k_enn wrote:
I may be wanting to mount a Power Tank with a Garvin.
k_enn

Wait, do they make them for first gens, or are you scrapping yours and getting a second gen?

PostPosted: Fri Dec 16, 2011 11:00 am 
Forum User

The old first gen is totaled. I am looking to get a second gen (Pro-4x) before year end if all goes well.

k_enn

PostPosted: Sat Dec 17, 2011 6:43 pm 
Forum User

Good luck on getting a new X Ken. Hope all works out for you.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2012 4:07 pm 
Noob

So, I got my Garvin installed just before Christmas but only now am getting to my little review.

Rack was very easy to install, the rack came with "temporary instructions" that were hand-written, no big deal seeing as it's a very logical install. Took me almost two hours to install, mainly due to the fact I was doing this at work and no one ever puts the tools back; meaning I spent more time looking for tools :roll: .

Successes/Issues:

- VERY sturdy finished product, I swear it's like adding a strut tower brace it so solid. It's a little hard to explain but you notice it when you drive. I believe the rack has a 200 pound weight limit.

- I had only one problem, one of the carriage bolts for the side brace that connects to the "wall" of the truck broke off when tightening it. The bolt just sheared right off, I don't think I was tightening it with excessive force or anything, but no big deal. I work in a sign shop and fortunately had another bolt of the same size.

- Fitment is very good, the only gripe I had with fitment was in the track area. I think there was way to much slop in the plate that slides into the track. I had to push the legs towards the walls and tighten them down pretty hard because the mounting surface at the top wasn't *perfect*. But I expect little things like that, and it hasn't moved since i got things where I want them. I even had a friend yank and jerk the thing around when I was done and it didn't budge. Oh yeah, as for the reason the track thing bugged me is because I wanted to make sure that I would be able to access the "secret" cargo spot under the floor, and I can access it easily.

- I wish there were a way to re-mount the retractable cover thing. Maybe I can fab a mount for it or something.

My final opinion of this rack is very high, I love the fact that I can now utilize even more the the cubic footage that I paid for!

The cost was high, I believe I paid about $379 shipped. I emailed Ron Garvin back and forth and he really took care of me. I feel he went a little out of his way to make sure I was happy, and I made sure I let him know I was. The way Garvin runs business is incredible, I'm the kind of person that will gladly pay MORE for something if it is done right and if the business is right; I'm the customer and I have the choice of where to shop, some businesses don't understand that. Anyway, back to cost. Yes, it's seems expensive but when I held the rack in my hands it made it worth it, as I said earlier, it is very sturdy.

I HIGHLY recommend this rack to anyone that doesn't have the time to fab one up by hand!

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2012 2:50 pm 
Forum User

I mounted my Power Tank in the basket for now. It's ok but not the best as far as filling tires from that location.
For best results the tank should be upright.

Since we have a welder at the shop I might be taking on a little project. I want to cut the corner of the Garvin so I can mount my PT in the corner like I had before I got the Garvin.

This little project will be a Month away as I have others projects in line that are more pressing.

To be continued

Congrats on the Rack Cavedog!!!