It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:59 pm

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2006 8:34 am 
Global Moderator

Cool, and won't get caught up in the car wash!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2006 8:35 am 
Forum User

Nope.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 05, 2006 12:14 pm 
Noob

yea, i hate using my hi lift. after i used it to jack my truck up high enough to place the jackstands under the frame to change my rear shocks, ive been scared to use it. last time i did, i tried it on the sliders to clean some mud out and it locked up and i had to push fwd on it and made the truck slide and let the jack fall. i think that black handle or something around the base got bent b/c it doesnt sit straight with the jack anymore.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 05, 2006 5:31 pm 
Forum User

Wow..I guess I missed this thread. Yikes..

BTW.. I rebuilt my hi-lift the day before I went wheeling with you guys and it still didnt lower, go figure..

The only time I felt somewhat safe using my hi-lift is when I bolt on the ARB adapter and lift it that way. I never like lifting trucks by the sliders, too many things can go wrong. If the truck slides a little bit, or if you lift two wheels off the ground..etc.

I dont know if the ARB adapter works on the shrock bumpers, but it's definitely something to consider if you decide to use a hi-lift. It is ALOT safer than lifting off of the sliders.
Also, a 4x4 block under the stock jack might help out a little bit in an emergency when two hi-lifts lock up and dont lower. ;)

This ISN'T directed at Jeff or anyone in particular, this is just a blanket statement based on my previous experiences, trail runs, and expensive mistakes..

The first time I went offroading with my X, "Back to Basics MAXC run in 2001". I actually brought my full size floor jack and jack stands. Can you say Paranoid?! ;)

When I went cross county to wheel in Moab back in April 04, I took two spare tires with me..Hell, I even bought a cordless mig welder (after I saw steiny break a t-bar anchor at ECXC the year before)
Still Paranoid? LOL

This brings me to my point.. I'd rather bring everything including the kitchen sink, than worry about someone else to get me home,etc..
I wheel by myself alot so I normally bring these things, obviously not to the extreme with the welder and stuff, but you get the point.. LOL

I learned the hard way when my alternator died in south jersey back in 2001 and I had to get a tow home back to LI since alternators were a dealer only item at $465. Ugh... Never again..

It just takes time to accumulate a set of tools, recovery gear, etc..
Everyone does it at their own pace or as money permits, hell I'm still adding shit to my list of items needed for wheeling.

I could have used a spare rear shock last LINXC run. ;)

Anyhow.. Everyone learns from their past experiences. Party On, Be Happy, Drink more Beer.. LOL