It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:24 am

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 100 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
 Post subject: Re: Murphy’s Xterra
PostPosted: Sat Mar 24, 2018 2:00 pm 
Club Secretary

Mike, I’m not sure what is in it still. I’ll get in touch with you once I have it at the house.

My X. http://www.nexterra.org/forums/viewtopi ... =71&t=9534

PostPosted: Sat Mar 24, 2018 8:30 pm 
Club President

Cool, thanks, John.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2018 2:49 pm 
Club Secretary

This weekend I ran a bottle of Cataclean through the X. I had a definite rotten egg cat smell before, along with the occasional P0420/P0430 code. There is no noticeable egg smell after. I get that this is a bandaid. Just trying to get through this round of mods before I buy new primary cats.

I also ordered new OEM upper and lower shackle bushings. Along with the U-bolt flip kit I have a single AAL to install. I’ll move the adjustable shackles from the 1.5” to the 2” setting and replace the bushings. This is in preparation for the tire carrier bumper.

I purchased the AAL before the Alcans went on the Frontier. The X already has a 2 leaf AAL and no overload. Lots of people on the internet say don’t stack AAL’s, because it’s bad. It’ll change the spring rate. I thought that was the idea. Higher spring rate for heavier loads. Some people say they’re going to try it out, but the thread dies after that post. This is on many forums from F-350 to Tacoma to general off-road sites like Pirate4x4.

We’ll see what happens.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2018 12:02 pm 
Supporting Member

murphy wrote:
Mike, I’m not sure what is in it still. I’ll get in touch with you once I have it at the house.
Thanks

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2018 11:44 am 
Club Secretary

A lot happened yesterday. In the morning I swapped out the idler pulley, tensioner assembly and V-belt in the Xterra. Took it for a drive to my buddy’s shop. My immediate impression of the way it runs since the fan clutch and belt/pulleys is the motor runs much smoother. I actually needed to pull over because I thought I lost the belt. The old idler had some rub marks between the rear bearing cover and the bearing, and the old tensioner had minor play in the bearing. I’m sure I could have just ordered the tensioner bearing and left the arm.

I didn’t take pics of the tensioner.
Idler bearing

Rear idler bearing cover

I was able to talk with my buddy a little about swapping the rear axles between the Frontier and the Xterra. The X has 3.36’s with 2 spider gears and the Frontier has 3.69’s with 4 spiders. Both are E-locker m226’s. We decided that cutting the spring mounts off the axles and rewelding them would be far easier and cost less than swapping the carriers and pinions between the axles.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2018 11:58 am 
Club Secretary

Yesterday afternoon Will and I went and picked up Phong’s Xterra. Will borrowed his fathers truck, and I rented a car trailer. With the help of some 3/4” shackles and tow straps we pulled the X onto the trailer with Phong’s new Frontier.

The ride out and back was uneventful. The trailer dragged some getting into my driveway. We pulled it off the trailer with my X.

I’m putting a list together of the parts I’ll keep for my X and for resale.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2018 7:46 pm 
Club Secretary

I had about an hour between getting home and going to my daughters tennis match. I changed the Cv shaft with the torn boot with one of my trail spares. It won’t sling grease all over the X any more. Now both my trail spares have torn boots. One on the inner one on the outer. No big deal, they’re spares. I won’t need them much longer anyway.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2018 11:04 am 
Supporting Member

Looks like it's been pretty eventful for getting your X trail ready. Never knew that phong was actually selling his X. I knew he was parting it out last time i checked. Glad it went to a fellow nexterra member, loved seeing his rig in my neck of the woods here and there. Plan on using that just for parts murphy?

PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2018 2:51 pm 
Club Secretary

I couldn’t beat the price. He still had some Titan swap parts on it that I would have bought anyway. Besides that, my passenger window switch was acting up, and I have some issue with my evap canister. (I may be able to repair that.) I can use those off his truck also. I kept his headlights and taillights, mirrors, and rear corners for when I damage mine. The leather steering wheel on the Frontier is torn, so I’ll swap it with his rubber one. I’m going to pull a couple leafs from his pack and perk up the leaf packs on my Xterra. He has a few aftermarket parts on it still that I may sell.

Other than that, I’ll keep an invintory of spare parts, for if I or another member needs a part for a quick swap out. It may come in handy to have a spare alternator, cam sensor, crank sensor or the like, in a pinch.

If I’m really ambitious I’ll cut off the sliders that are welded to his frame, and have brackets made for them.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2018 6:37 pm 
Club Secretary

Did some driving around this weekend. I picked up the Lokka and extended CV’s from Ernie. Thanks again for carrying them back from Pennsylvania for me! I also picked up the rear bumper Curtis made for me. I have the wheel studs and lug nuts in hand. Brown says the latch should be delivered tomorrow. I’m still deciding on the finish coat color. I’m leaning towards a matte/satin grey to match the 13 year old Nissan plastic.

Fresh coat of POR15.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2018 8:43 pm 
Club President

Looking forward to seeing it installed, John!

PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2018 8:42 am 
Club Secretary

The bumper has a finish on it and is mounted to the truck. I still need to work out a few things.

-License plate mount and lighting
-Ream out location of tire mount studs to 14mm for OEM interference studs
-Buy/find two more 14mm x 1.5 bumper bolts

No tire

Tire on temporarily

PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2018 5:07 pm 
Club Secretary

The bumper is finished. License plate is mounted and lit. The studs for the spare are pressed in.

This weekends project was the Titan swap. I had about 6 hours on Saturday and about the same on Sunday. While I was at it I swapped in the ‘new’ R180A that I installed a Lokka in.

Thank You again to Ripper for his old diff.

I would have never imagined that the removal and reinstall of the diff would be the easiest part of the process. Getting to the forward bolts on the front driveshaft was time consuming. Refilling it was a pain. But the rest was straightforward.

I did end up cutting through 3 of the LCA bolts. It’s too bad too. They were some of the rare factory installed camber bolts. Cutting out the driver LCA took the most time of anything. I’ll have to say, Lennox makes a good blade.

The passenger side. About 50% back together.

Out with the old in with the new.

I still need to fine tune the alignment. I did the best I could with the stock Titan UCA’s. Camber and caster are ok. Toe is set, but the steering wheel is clocked to about 1:30 while driving straight. I’m betting this is why the slip light comes on above 20mph. The steering sensor and the wheel sensors are not getting similar signals. Also I have 2” wheel spacers to install in the rear. If I’m ambitious I’ll put on the EZflares I pulled off of Phong’s X.

An hour or two more and I should have it dialed in. Hopefully I’ll have this coming Saturday off. So I can test it out on the Summit/Mabell Run.

PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2018 7:13 pm 
Events Committee Member

Very nice. Can't wait to see it on the trails!

PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2018 8:49 pm 
Club President

Nice, John.

Did that diff from Will have the 3:69 gears?

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 100 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next